Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all, I was sleeved June 1st and I am in post op hell. I am home from the hospital but am struggling to get anything down. It is slowly improving but so slowly I'm really worried about dehydration & not getting enough Protein to heal properly.

When I try and drink anything I get terrible reflux & gurgle back. I've tried warm drinks, milky drinks, Water, nothing seems to help. I have been prescribed heartburn reducers but they make me sick so I can't take them. Any suggestions or do I just have to wait for it to get easier?

In addition I'm constantly producing a lot of spit that I can swallow back as it makes me sick, did anyone else get this? If so does it pass?

Any help/suggestions appreciated!!

Call your team. It sounds like reflux, but because you are having trouble with the medicine they have given you, nothing is countering it. Call the office and see if someone can see you or talk to you about the issues. Prescribing a different reflux med could be the difference. I know you say you've tried warm, but try room temperature and cold as well. I found that I was very temp sensitive in the first few weeks and it changed from day to day.

Best of luck

Call your team. This much trouble could be a stricture.

For acid, I take the chewable pepsid complete, acts immediately AND prevents more acid for several hours. But at least start with a liquid antacid and see if that soothes things enough to get other stuff down.

Dehydration is no joke. How much liquid are you keeping down a day?

I would call your doctor. That much acid is not normal and you need to find a medication that you can take and that works.

Thanks guys, my doc is away today but can always call the nurses on the ward, I have the feeling they'll want me to go back in though & I can't face hospital again.

I had the post op x ray done & they did say the entrance was tight but that it was nothing to worry about, I'm wondering if that swelling taking time to go down is why it's being problematic.

I'm only getting down about 300 - 400 ml a day which is 10 - 14 oz so nowhere near enough!

You are likely dehydrated already, are you peeing darker urine or peeing much at all? Call the bariatric team asap, they can get another physician to call in a scrip for meds. Try lukewarm tea w a little ginger root. Try diluted broths, sip a teaspoon, then wait 5-10 minutes, try another. Stand up to sip.

You need to go get IV fluids. You are not drinking enough to remain hydrated, and you will get very sick.

Urgent care centers and ERs can provide fluids.

Needing fluids during a difficult post op recovery is not a failing. It is to be expected.

Sounds like you need to go to the hospital or an urgent care hon to start...don't wait it out.

Esophagus spasms are common. I had them and the same thing hapoened to me, they prescribed a chalky liquid for about 2 weeks that numbed the esophagus and then i was fine

HW 260
SW 245
CW 200
Sleeved 2/8/2017

I had this a few weeks after surgery. Several times a day I'd dry heave and have terrible reflux. I was given omeprozale and after a month of taking it, it went away.

GO TO THE ER. Don't ask for medical advice on the internet, go to the ER. The longer you let this go on the worse it will be.

This isn't like asking which Protein Shake tastes better.

I am baffled at all the hospitals releasing people who can't eat and drink. I had to be able to eat and drink and make a decent dent before they would release me. They don't want to release people and have them go home and dehydrate.

I was sleeve 5/31 and had trouble getting fluids in as well. I felt too full. I'll share what helped for me but If still get a hold of your dr. Last day in hospital I was only about to get 8 oz Water in. Today a few days later I'm getting 4 to 6 oz an hr. Including Protein Drinks and Greek yogurt. I feel like cold goes down better. I found a flavored water beverage very mild mango flavor with no calories etc. It goes down easier than regular water. I literally had to set a timer every 5 minutes and even though it hurt take a sip and reset the timer for another 5 mins. If I felt to full I'd get up and walk around and sip as I walked past my drink. I have the Amazon dot so I just told Alexa to set a timer for 5 mins. It was a really rough day but made such a difference. I think getting more fluids down is helping the gas to finally start moving as well.

Sent from my SM-N920T using BariatricPal mobile app

You said " I have the feeling they'll want me to go back in though & I can't face hospital again." well, let me ask you this, how do you feel about going to the hospital in an ambulance? lol! Here's the thing. Avoiding going to the doctors because you are afraid of going into the hospital is backwards thinking. Avoiding going to the doctors is exactly what PUTS you in the hospital. If something is wrong with your sleeve or you need medical assistance in order to improve your sleeve or health, just do it. Put on the big girl or boy undies and just do it. I know it sucks but being even more sick or dying sucks WAY worse. :)

I say this as the person who ended up in ICU because they didn't want to go to the doctors. Well, I didn't have to go to the doctors, I went the to hospital in an ambulance.