Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not sure if I have blown my chance....

My VSG is 26 days away and I have worked hard to kick my smoking habit....but like an idiot, I allowed my emotions to get the best of me and I smoked a few cigarettes....ugh. Have I ruined my chances for VSG? I would feel like a complete idiot if I have. Is their any thing I can do (obviously not smoke) to flush the nicotine out of my system? I have waited so long for this....

call your surgeon. they may have to push your appointment back further as you need to be 30 days nicotine free. maybe it won't matter.

Ok thank you...

I truly don't think the surgeon will care. @Joann454 has a really good story about this. I'm sure she will respond soon.

Thanks I spoke with her yesterday. She gave me some great advice.

My suggestion is to get a 0 mg (nicotine) vape, and keep that with you at all times. Whenever you get the urge, hit that. It will fill the void, and you will not have nicotine/cotinine in your system.

I still think 26 days will be enough to show very low levels as long as you stop immediately.

0 mg vape juice does not feel the same (there is no throat hit), so I would jump right into a 2 battery regulated sub ohm mod (this is the phrase to tell the sales person). Talk to a local vap shop person and tell them you are all in, and skip the intro level mod. In order to get any feeling, you will want sub ohm as it makes a ton of smoke to compensate for the lack of nicotine.

You will want to get something good, because you shouldn't smoke even after the surgery, the 0 mg vape can also help after the surgery.

Disclaimer: I have no idea if 0 mg vaping will increase the risk of negative outcomes from surgery, but I have to believe it is WAY better than cigarettes. If you can stop everything, I am sure it is way better for you, but most people I know, would restart after the surgery while in recovery, and I'm sure cigarettes will put them at serious risk.

Edited by JT2002TJ

Depends a lot on your biology. I was clear of it from my blood stream. Cotinine and nicotine in four days. Pretty amazing.

Thanks for this great information! I am going to stop over at the smoke shop today.

27 minutes ago, Sweetazhoney said:

Thanks for this great information! I am going to stop over at the smoke shop today.

Awesome! Remember, you want 0 mg juice and a regulated 2 battery sub ohm mod. They will ask you if you think you will like custard or fruity flavors. My personal 2 favorites are fruity pebbles and Haulin' Oats (The name just changed to something else because of patent infringement) an oatmeal cookie flavor.

The supplies you might want to consider:

2 Battery Regulated Mod, 2 or 4 batteries (18650), 2 or 4 battery charger (much easier to charge outside of the unit, especially if you get 4 batteries so you can swap them), PLASTIC COVER FOR EVERY BATTERY (should come with the batteries, but MAKE SURE as you dont want to short these batteries), Sub ohm tank (Smok Cloud Beast TRV8 or TRV12 are good choices), Spare Atomizers (these are the coils that screw into the tank that vaporizes the juice, they last about a week each during heavy use, they need to match the tank), and a 60 mL bottle of your choice of 0mg (nicotine content) juice.

I would print that list out and bring it with you to make it easier. I would expect to pay in the $200 - $300 range for all I listed above (or a little over the average carton of cigarettes, but will last you months). The disposables (atomizer and juice) are in the $15-$30 per month range once you have everything.

Another option is to get the mod, tank (comes with at least one atomizer), 2 batteries, and bottle of juice only, then buy the rest online, including extra batteries and charger. I just like to support local businesses when I can. Especially since these vape shops are what keep juice manufactures hard at work developing more flavors.

Juices - I suggest giving up on tobacco flavors, they just dont taste the same as smoking. If you get that idea out of your mind from the beginning, you wont be disappointed. Once your house/car/clothes stop smelling like smoke, you will be much happier, and glad you switched.

PSA: Batteries... These batteries can burn down a house, it is VERY important to always transport them inside a hard plastic container. Keys, coins and other conductive things in contact with the positive and negative side of the battery WILL either burn you or your house. Get good quality batteries (not knockoffs), and if the battery insulation (wrapping cover that is part of the battery) is even slightly damaged immediately properly dispose of the battery (Home Depot will take batteries). They are $10 each, consider your life, body and understand that they are ONLY $10, replace them as needed.

Edited by JT2002TJ

I sent her a message earlier.

.i wanna hear the story!!

Sent from my LG-K540 using BariatricPal mobile app

I was a heavy user of nicotine gum. I bought some urine test strips to test before my blood work. I cleared cotinine in 7 days and past my blood work. Btw nicotine will clear in 24-48 hours. Cotinine is stored in fat and takes more time to clear.