Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery postponed for the right reason

1 minute ago, PatientEleventyBillion said:

From my research though, the stretchy part of our stomachs was removed during surgery. What we have left should not have much ability to grow in size.

22 minutes ago, Apple1 said:

From my research though, the stretchy part of our stomachs was removed during surgery. What we have left should not have much ability to grow in size.

As I just cited, it's not a permanent change, the stomach stretches -- it's a muscle. It's all part of how people manage themselves afterwards.

For example, someone that maintains an infrequent diet and doesn't consume much food, will remain having a smaller stomach, and the hormones leptin and ghrelin will be activated less -- this is not merely for VSG but also for RNY patients -- the answer to the question of "how much?" is up to them. This also directly affects peristalsis in the intestinal region, something activated by those hormones, which has a doubling effect of creating hunger. This is no different for thin people like my sister who have no hormonal (and thus metabolic) issues.

I think people need to understand that having your stomach cut is not the primary function of why the surgery works well.. it's the hormonal changes. If cutting the stomach merely was all there was to it, people would find themselves with a plate of food in front of them at all hours of the day because they'd be starving all the time.

The idea that the stomach doesn't grow after VSG or RNY is false. Even our bones grow/shrink (due to Wolff's Law), so why wouldn't muscle?

The surgery metaphorically starts the stomach anew, which especially includes hormones. The emphasis on lifestyle changes is because the surgery is rendered useless by those who do exactly what they did to get themselves in trouble in the first place. The physical restriction is not a life-long savior. Anyone who believes this needs to get it out of their heads immediately. It's lifestyle choices in the long run that is what keeps the stomach smaller.

Edited by PatientEleventyBillion

1 hour ago, PatientEleventyBillion said:

The surgery metaphorically starts the stomach anew, which especially includes hormones. The emphasis on lifestyle changes is because the surgery is rendered useless by those who do exactly what they did to get themselves in trouble in the first place. The physical restriction is not a life-long savior. Anyone who believes this needs to get it out of their heads immediately. It's lifestyle choices in the long run that is what keeps the stomach smaller.

I agree with this. We cannot continue to eat the same foods or quantity of foods that got us into this position in the first place.

I am still a newbie in this whole process so I only know what I have experienced thus far and what I have read both online and in books on the VSG. Anyone that wants to can find ways to eat around the surgery, but does the stomach actually stretch out?? I don't know. I have read arguments for both cases. I do know that I don't plan on doing anything to find out either way.

But what's that going to do to your metabolism in the long run? I definitely want to be taking in more calories than that at six months.

It's not going to do anything to my metabolism in the long run. I'm getting my nutrition in. I'm getting my Protein in. I'm getting my fluids in. And I'm very active and continue to lose between 2 and 5 lbs a week, while toning my muscles with weight training twice a week, elliptical 5 to 6 days a week, and recumbent bike 3 times a week. My TSH are normal so normal metabolism. My body is getting the fuel it needs. It's not about the numbers. It's about fueling your body.

That number of calories doesn't seem like enough especially if you are an active person. I am not pushing myself at all. Like I said I haven't actually reached 800 yet, but I think I will be there at 4-5 weeks post op.
I am an entomologist and I have a very active field season during the warmer months into Fall. I have started daily exercise on my elliptical as well as walking. I am not over doing it. I am just gradually increasing my exercise and calories as my body is healing.
I do not want to risk a slow metabolism by staying so low in calories. I honestly could not function at 646 calories with the amount of walking I do in a normal day a work.

It may not seem like enough but it is more than enough for me. I'm very active too. I am on the elliptical 5 to 6 days a week, recumbent bike 3 days a week, and I weight train twice a week. I am fueling my body, and in turn I have all the energy I need. And I am losing between 2 and 5 lbs every week. I have not run into any stalls. It's not about number of calories. It's about Protein and fluids. The more active you are, the more protein and fluids your body needs. I am getting in at least 126 oz of fluids and at least 100 grams of protein a day. And that includes the days I only get in 646 calories. There are people who eat a lot of veggies and fruit, and they're lucky if they get in around 800 calories. But their bodies are fueled and they have energy.

Before surgery, I found myself eating less than 1000 calories because of food choices and Portion Control. Nothing was wrong with my metabolism. Metabolism works on what we eat, not the number of calories we eat. If metabolism was effected by the number of calories we eat, then we would have entered starvation mode right before and after surgery. When the body is working the way it is supposed to, our bodies want and need fuel. It doesn't care about number of calories. And forcing ourselves to eat a certain number of calories is because of the old mindset, not the new mindset. I developed a new mindset to fuel my body long before my surgery, so that I will focus only on the things that my body needs.

Maybe down the road my calories may increase, but not because I'm focusing on increasing them. If it happens, it will happen naturally, with the foods I choose to fuel my body with.

7 hours ago, GBLady41 said:

It may not seem like enough but it is more than enough for me. I'm very active too. I am on the elliptical 5 to 6 days a week, recumbent bike 3 days a week, and I weight train twice a week. I am fueling my body, and in turn I have all the energy I need. And I am losing between 2 and 5 lbs every week. I have not run into any stalls. It's not about number of calories. It's about Protein and fluids. The more active you are, the more Protein and fluids your body needs. I am getting in at least 126 oz of fluids and at least 100 grams of protein a day. And that includes the days I only get in 646 calories. There are people who eat a lot of veggies and fruit, and they're lucky if they get in around 800 calories. But their bodies are fueled and they have energy.

Before surgery, I found myself eating less than 1000 calories because of food choices and Portion Control. Nothing was wrong with my metabolism. Metabolism works on what we eat, not the number of calories we eat. If metabolism was effected by the number of calories we eat, then we would have entered starvation mode right before and after surgery. When the body is working the way it is supposed to, our bodies want and need fuel. It doesn't care about number of calories. And forcing ourselves to eat a certain number of calories is because of the old mindset, not the new mindset. I developed a new mindset to fuel my body long before my surgery, so that I will focus only on the things that my body needs.

Maybe down the road my calories may increase, but not because I'm focusing on increasing them. If it happens, it will happen naturally, with the foods I choose to fuel my body with.

I am curious what you are consuming to get to 100g of protein at your calorie level. I am working on increasing my protein levels and I am not hungry enough to add another meal. I am really not forcing myself to eat more calories. I am just listening to my body and Not purposely trying to stay lower calorie thinking I will lose more weight.

I am curious what you are consuming to get to 100g of Protein at your calorie level. I am working on increasing my protein levels and I am not hungry enough to add another meal. I am really not forcing myself to eat more calories. I am just listening to my body and Not purposely trying to stay lower calorie thinking I will lose more weight.

I have been getting about 75 g of protein I have been adding Isopure drink it has 40 g of protein I diluted it to my Water half Isopure half water that way I'm getting more protein in Image1496756958.109898.jpg

Just now, TammyLee66 said:

I have been getting about 75 g of Protein I have been adding Isopure drink it has 40 g of protein I diluted it to my Water half Isopure half Water that way I'm getting more protein in Image1496756958.109898.jpg

I tried those and I cannot drink them, they taste gross to me. I am really trying to get most if not all of my protein from real food now. I still drink a shake occasionally for Breakfast or after my workout, but now that I can eat meat I prefer it, and it keeps me full.

On 6/4/2017 at 11:00 AM, RHmama said:

I wish my surgeon would have done that. I feel like I rushed this decision. Had my surgery three days ago and was crying right before I went in. I wish I wouldn't have done it.

I'm so sorry. Your surgeon should have payed more attention to your mindset. I hope your feeling better as you recover! I've decided that surgery is not for me at this point of my life. I'm still young enough & strong enough to fight this in other ways. Best of luck to you & I wish you much success.

I see so much talk on here about caloric intake & the amount of calories the amount of Protein etc. but I see no mention of nutrient dense nutrient rich foods now I know I haven't had the surgery but in my opinion the only calories that matter or calories that are extremely high in nutrients! The medical field has completely left out nutrition and the majority of doctors are not trained in nutrition they're only trained in medicine and writing prescriptions rather than prescribing nutrition. I know this isn't for everybody but how much better would life be for the majority of patients had the doctor written a prescription for fresh fruits and vegetables and very little or no meat? There are other suitable ways to get your protein. I am a vegan & I'm not suggesting everybody become vegan but I do believe that if everybody filled their plates with fresh fruits and vegetables and very little protein it would reverse obesity and many other health problems that are running rampant in the world. Ive been a carnivore my entire life and six months ago I would not of believed this to be true but after much research I hold animal Proteins to be in contempt and plant-based foods that are nutrient rich to be the much to ignored cure. I have no interest in this as a Ushuaia,religious, or activist way of life. I just cannot discredit the health benefits of more plants and plant-based protein then damage causing artery clogging animal proteins. If this interest you Google it or look at the documentaries on Netflix. The evidence is staggering & it turned this lifelong carnivore into a vegan and if I ever decide to introduce meat or animal proteins into my life again they will be the smallest portions but my plate. A 4 ounce piece of meat is enough to season a dish for flavor for an entire family.

I see so much talk on here about caloric intake & the amount of calories the amount of Protein etc. but I see no mention of nutrient dense nutrient rich foods now I know I haven't had the surgery but in my opinion the only calories that matter or calories that are extremely high in nutrients! The medical field has completely left out nutrition and the majority of doctors are not trained in nutrition they're only trained in medicine and writing prescriptions rather than prescribing nutrition. I know this isn't for everybody but how much better would life be for the majority of patients had the doctor written a prescription for fresh fruits and vegetables and very little or no meat? There are other suitable ways to get your protein. I am a vegan & I'm not suggesting everybody become vegan but I do believe that if everybody filled their plates with fresh fruits and vegetables and very little protein it would reverse obesity and many other health problems that are running rampant in the world. Ive been a carnivore my entire life and six months ago I would not of believed this to be true but after much research I hold animal Proteins to be in contempt and plant-based foods that are nutrient rich to be the much to ignored cure. I have no interest in this as a Ushuaia,religious, or activist way of life. I just cannot discredit the health benefits of more plants and plant-based protein then damage causing artery clogging animal proteins. If this interest you Google it or look at the documentaries on Netflix. The evidence is staggering & it turned this lifelong carnivore into a vegan and if I ever decide to introduce meat or animal proteins into my life again they will be the smallest portions but my plate. A 4 ounce piece of meat is enough to season a dish for flavor for an entire family.

How're you doing on your diet? Have you decided to stick to this way of eating and not have surgery?
I wish I liked more veggies, maybe I will once I can actually eat. I'm excited to try new healthy foods.

25 minutes ago, Joann454 said:

How're you doing on your diet? Have you decided to stick to this way of eating and not have surgery?
I wish I liked more veggies, maybe I will once I can actually eat. I'm excited to try new healthy foods.

I actually love fruits and vegetables, but many fruits are high in natural sugars which are bad for diabetics. I eat lots of fresh vegetables and grow a garden every year. I am missing salads and I can't wait until I am able to eat them again.

I think for me I will always eat fish, turkey, and chicken, with smaller amounts of red meat. It really depends on your current medical status as to what type of diet is going to work best long term.

One thing my insurance company Kaiser Insurance they follow you for 5 years you have a dietitian that you meet with I meet with her for the first time this week 1 week post op if you have any questions about nutrition or anything they are there to help you they do you watch how many protein grams you're taking in and how many calories they do you show you what to eat and what not to eat it is a great program they also have support groups.

I actually love fruits and vegetables, but many fruits are high in natural sugars which are bad for diabetics. I eat lots of fresh vegetables and grow a garden every year. I am missing salads and I can't wait until I am able to eat them again.
I think for me I will always eat fish, turkey, and chicken, with smaller amounts of red meat. It really depends on your current medical status as to what type of diet is going to work best long term.

I love salad veggies. fruit depends. If I can find sweet fruit I'm happy. Often oranges are dry and bitter and apples are mealy. I love watermelon. Farmers markets are open so hopefully I can find some fresh stuff when I can eat again.