Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery postponed for the right reason

Surgery cancelled by my surgeon because I wasn't in the right mindset. He scheduled me to see him in two weeks. I already had the IV in to. I told him how I've been feeling and he said ,"Well surgery don't sound like a good idea at this time". I agree with him. It's been a battle to meet all the requirements & do the postop diet but I've been battling with my own inner demons. The last couple days have been torturous on my mind. You can't go into surgery with the wrong mindset or you'll come out the wrong mindset. I guess the best device I can give is if you're scheduled for surgery and you're having doubts speak up before it's too late. I was 353 when I had my first appointment before the seminar I weigh 298 today. The majority of my weight-loss has been the result of a plant based vegan diet. If I can keep it up I may scratch surgery altogether. If I relapsed to carnivor and start eating empty calories again then surgery will may be the only option. I feel relieved with this decision & happy not to be in recovery right now. To all that had surgery today & before congratulations for making such a brave move towards future health & happiness. As for me I'm in limbo at the moment.

Whatever you do as long as its in your own best health interests and doesn't have any negative consequences.

I will say though that food like meat isn't empty calories.. you're thinking of garbage carb slider foods that have no nutritional value. Protein is one of the most essential things your body and muscles need. The opposite of empty.

Edited by PatientEleventyBillion

4 minutes ago, PatientEleventyBillion said:

Whatever you do as long as its in your own best health interests and doesn't have any negative consequences.

I will say though that food like meat isn't empty calories.. you're thinking of garbage carb slider foods that have no nutritional value. Protein is one of the most essential things your body and muscles need. The opposite of empty.

I wasn't referring to meat as empty calories I should have been more specific. What I meant was junk food. I ate meat my entire life & enjoyed it both as food & good a source of Protein. I may eat meat again but empty calories such as sweets & other heavily processed foods I'm out. Today confirmed that even more so.

It's your body and your decision. I woke up happy from surgery. Relief it was over and that I didn't die! You have to be ok with it! If you're not (and I know how bad you've been struggling) then you made the right decision for yourself.

18 minutes ago, SEAHAWKS FAN! said:

I wasn't referring to meat as empty calories I should have been more specific. What I meant was junk food. I ate meat my entire life & enjoyed it both as food & good a source of Protein. I may eat meat again but empty calories such as sweets & other heavily processed foods I'm out. Today confirmed that even more so.

Indeed. For many of us the process of having the surgery done was an education into all the bad things we were doing.

2 weeks before my operation I had a meeting with the hospital's anesthesiologist crew and one guy was in awe of all the things I knew and my pre-op progress, and asked me why I'm doing this, as he thought I didn't need this procedure done.

Thing is, like others, I've tried losing on my own before, and have.. what I needed to learn came through this journey. So, whatever it takes to learn how to live a healthy life, is what it takes. I wish you the best of luck.

(Btw Google Voice is acting funky so like 80% of my texts arent sending)

Good for you for being honest with yourself. Going into with the right mindset is just as important as completing the eval, pre-op diet, etc. Even if things to 1000% perfectly it's still a rough recovery, and going in with ambivalence can make things much worse. Surgery is and should be a last resort. If you feel you are able to do this on your own, I think it's definitely preferable than permanently altering your digestive anatomy. Plus, if things don't go well, or you reconsider, at least you know surgery will always be an option. Good luck!

3 minutes ago, MSinger said:

Good for you for being honest with yourself. Going into with the right mindset is just as important as completing the eval, pre-op diet, etc. Even if things to 1000% perfectly it's still a rough recovery, and going in with ambivalence can make things much worse. Surgery is and should be a last resort. If you feel you are able to do this on your own, I think it's definitely preferable than permanently altering your digestive anatomy. Plus, if things don't go well, or you reconsider, at least you know surgery will always be an option. Good luck!

People say permanent, but as far as the sleeve goes, in a few years it's grown back. It's not permanent like the RNY.

The premise of the sleeve is to utilize what you've learned from your restrictive phase and apply lifestyle changes that you'll continue when your sleeve gives way and allows you to eat normal again. Where so many fail is they go back to bad habits when the sleeve restriction gives way.

VSG should only be seen as a temporary tool to help with a permanent lifestyle change.

Edited by PatientEleventyBillion

People say permanent, but as far as the sleeve goes, in a few years it's grown back. It's not permanent like the RNY.
The premise of the sleeve is to utilize what you've learned from your restrictive phase and apply lifestyle changes that you'll continue when your sleeve gives way and allows you to eat normal again. Where so many fail is they go back to bad habits when the sleeve restriction gives way.
VSG should only be seen as a temporary tool to help with a permanent lifestyle change.

Grown back? Huh??

11 minutes ago, PatientEleventyBillion said:

You can't grow back something removed from your body. It is gone forever. Sleeve is really more perm that RNY since RNY can stretch and a properly formed sleeve cannot stretch out, RNY patients keep their entire stomach in their body forever, it is just severed. Many post-op people RNY have an expanded stomach at the top of their intestine. And in extreme circumstances, RNY is reversible, the sleeve isn't since the stomach is removed and disposed of.

@SEAHAWKS FAN! I'm glad you decided not to have surgery if your heart wasn't in it. I feel like too many people have surgery when they are not committed 100%. Post-op is a lot easier when you have totally bought into the process. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

You can't grow back something removed from your body. It is gone forever.

[mention=315967]SEAHAWKS FAN![/mention] I'm glad you decided not to have surgery if your heart wasn't in it. I feel like too many people have surgery when they are not committed 100%. Post-op is a lot easier when you have totally bought into the process. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Right! I was committed but terrified of the surgery. So I felt ambivalent. I haven't experienced one second of regret (I'm sure no complications is helping).

Great choice to postpone the surgery. I know when I woke up from my procedure and the first night I felt regret. I don't know if it was all the emotions or the fact that I had to stay one night in the hospital. This surgery isn't for everyone, we know our bodies better than anyone else. Keep up the good work with the weight loss.

If you can continue down the road you're on, then you should absolutely do that!! Surgery was my last resort. Good for you!

I wish my surgeon would have done that. I feel like I rushed this decision. Had my surgery three days ago and was crying right before I went in. I wish I wouldn't have done it.

I wish my surgeon would have done that. I feel like I rushed this decision. Had my surgery three days ago and was crying right before I went in. I wish I wouldn't have done it.

Oh no. Why are you having regrets now? I'm so sorry.

Oh no. Why are you having regrets now? I'm so sorry.

Because I lost 10 pounds in the 2 week pre diet and I wish I had always had the discipline to just do it on my own. Now I'm in pain, have massive headache from not getting enough calories/water and I just feel so weak. I don't see how I can possibly get enough calories in me to be functional! Pity party right now, I'm sure it will be better in a few days when the pain subsides but any Protein I'm trying tastes awful. Just feeling bleak right now.