Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you HAVE to follow a low carb diet?

@slimmingsteff

bread can be filling because it can expand in the stomach for some people. Maybe rice does, I don't know, I'm not vary familiar with rice.

Anything thin and dry is going to break down to nothing. So things like crackers, thin crust pizza, chips, crispy Cookies. They break down to mush basically in your mouth and you can eat unlimited quantities. They are called sliders.

It is going to depend on the density and the Fiber in the carbs.

I feel like this thread should be retitled, making the case for carbs.

I haven't tried most categories of carbs, but fruit goes right through, Beans do too. Soups, which frequently have a lot of carbs, go through like Water. I probably could eat a quart in 20 minutes (haven't tried it, so probably an exaggeration...)

I see the horse is still being beaten...

If you can eat carbs responsibly and still lose, eat them. If you can't, don't. It's simple. It's YOUR body. You don't have to do or eat anything you don't want to. Do what works for you. Just make sure you get your Protein. Case closed. ✌

Now, conventional wisdom says doing "what works for you" is probably how you ended up needing bariatric surgery, but I'll leave that alone.

Edited by her1981

On 2017-05-30 at 9:56 PM, deeveg said:

There's been a lot of great responses already about doing what is right for you and your body...ditto that.

I am definitely not trying to talk you into anything or make any type of point, I just wanted to share the benefit I get out of low carb in case you were wondering why anyone in their right mind would give up bread! :51_scream:

I'm not in ketosis because I eat fruit and Beans, but I avoid grains, sugar and potatoes. When I eat like this, I do not have any cravings and am not tempted by anything and its smooth sailing. But, boy oh boy, one piece of bread, and that dopamine high triggers all kinds of cravings for a few days and I want to eat everything in sight. I can still lose while eating carbs, it is just so hard to stay on track. Since I can lose, I guess I am not carb-sensitive as I've heard others describe - I'm just a junkie!

I'm quite jealous of you. I wish I could lose while eating carbs. enjoy :)

You are eating carbs...those are all great carb choices! Same ones I choose for the same reasons.

I see the horse is still being beaten...
If you can eat carbs responsibly and still lose, eat them. If you can't, don't. It's simple. It's YOUR body. You don't have to do or eat anything you don't want to. Do what works for you. Just make sure you get your Protein. Case closed. [emoji111]
Now, conventional wisdom says doing "what works for you" is probably how you ended up needing bariatric surgery, but I'll leave that alone.

I will go guide myself through this philosophy. My question was strictly about "good" or complex carbs. I've lost weight eating 200g of complex carbs and that's without surgery :) Anytime I tried to do low carb, I would end up binging. Since I don't have a nutritionist along the way, I depend on asking questions. I thought because of the surgery maybe carbs would be a no-no like soda. But turns out its just a preference. Thanks!

On 5/31/2017 at 8:03 AM, slimmingsteff said:

Nope. I can't see myself doing it. I eat A LOT of fruit. And I love my potatoes, corn, whole grains, etc. I'm willing to cut certain things out, but I know trying to keep carbs at 50 or lower would make me miserable.

My doc plan is 60g Protein and 100g carbs. 😊I'm with you, my body needs complex carbs. Actually all of our bodies need it, but each to his own.

On 5/31/2017 at 11:41 AM, OutsideMatchInside said:

First means ALONE not alternating bites with other foods, FIRST

I understand this is probably the most general rule for most, but not how my doc and nut prescribes when eating a meal. Two bites of Protein then one bite of veggie/complex carb. They want more nutritional value then just protein in the body, if you end up getting full off of protein first.

Given that you eat your veggies at a different time, is great. You're still getting it in. But for most, a meal consists of the protein/veggie/complex carb.

Edited by Newme17

How many people have been successful post-op (loss and maintenance) in the pro-carb camp? I don't intend this question to start up something or to criticize anyone's belief; I'm just curious. Over the time I have been on this forum (since last summer), there have been some pro-carb people here and there, but I can't ever remember anyone talking about long-term success with that strategy. There very well may be some folks who have had success with this approach, but I don't remember them.

So -- if you are pro-carb and have had long-term and sustained success, speak up. I'd like to hear some anecdotal evidence to support that approach.

How many people have been successful post-op (loss and maintenance) in the pro-carb camp? I don't intend this question to start up something or to criticize anyone's belief; I'm just curious. Over the time I have been on this forum (since last summer), there have been some pro-carb people here and there, but I can't ever remember anyone talking about long-term success with that strategy. There very well may be some folks who have had success with this approach, but I don't remember them.
So -- if you are pro-carb and have had long-term and sustained success, speak up. I'd like to hear some anecdotal evidence to support that approach.

Not me. Carbs and my thighs aren't on good terms. Plus, I feel much better when I eat under 30 grams. Sorry, not what you were looking for. The thing is there are plenty of low carb veggies. Berries are fairly low too. Lots of options.

Just now, Joann454 said:

Carbs and my thighs aren't on good terms.

This is the quote of the day. It should be stitched on a pillow somewhere! :)

That you're supposed to have balanced macronutrients for your body to run smoothly. Too much of any macro nutrient throws your body off balance. Carbs are needed for brain function and energy, etc. It contradicts a lot. I've had 3 personal trainers and nutritionist. I'm just worried. For example, all these "sugar free" stuff, I NEVER eat. They are loaded w crap. (Basically anything that says fat free, low ____ etc. are loaded with crap to compensate for the taste)
*Crap I mean processed, unnatural ingredients.
*My surgery is out of the country so I do not have an actual nutritionist to consult along the way. That's why I ask you guys to share your knowledge and what your doctor could have told you.
*Also high fat is terrible for gallstones - which is already common w losing weight too fast.

There's a lot on this thread but this wasn't addressed unless I missed it... it's LOW fat that is bad for gallstones not high fat.

After being stalled for weeks my nutritionist upped my carbs to 120g of carbs a day in addition to 100g Protein while staying under 1500 calories. It's not easy and I frankly don't like it. She said I need the carbs because I do 5 intense 45 minute Bootcamp workouts a week.

I am very, very tempted to forgo her advice and go low carb since it has worked so well for me in the past. It also seems like most bariatric nutritionists recommend low carb to their patients.

Has anyone else gotten similar nutrition advice (high protein, low fat, moderate carbs)?

Sent from my XT1585 using BariatricPal mobile app

After being stalled for weeks my nutritionist upped my carbs to 120g of carbs a day in addition to 100g Protein while staying under 1500 calories. It's not easy and I frankly don't like it. She said I need the carbs because I do 5 intense 45 minute Bootcamp workouts a week.

I am very, very tempted to forgo her advice and go low carb since it has worked so well for me in the past. It also seems like most bariatric nutritionists recommend low carb to their patients.

Has anyone else gotten similar nutrition advice (high protein, low fat, moderate carbs)?

Sent from my XT1585 using BariatricPal mobile app

This is exactly what my NUT likes but she's at odds with the head of surgery as he's all about low carb. I'm with him and as soon as I can eat real food carbs are getting kicked to the curb for Keto. I've been very unsuccessful on low fat/moderate carbs. When I'm in ketosis I feel great and I'm not hungry