Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What should i have prepped at home after surgery

Hello,

Can ya'll give me suggestions on what I should have prepared at home after surgery? :blink:

My surgery is in two weeks and I've been wondering the same thing.

Transitioning from lapband to bypass on June 12!
HW: 402, CW: 314, GW 185

Oh wow mine is on june 20th. I guess it smart to have remade Protein Shakes? idk sugar free Jello? Netflix and pillows???

Oh wow mine is on june 20th. I guess it smart to have remade Protein Shakes? idk sugar free Jello? Netflix and pillows???

Lol you sound like me. Netflix, a comfy place to relax and a few books.

I'm doing the more practical things too. Making sure all the laundry is done, bills are all paid, little errands are run and stuff like that. I went out and bought my post-op shakes and Vitamins. I bought a food scale and made sure I had the right size measuring cups. I'll talk to my nutritionist again, also, and will get some of the foods she suggests. If your doctor didn't require you to have a session with a nutritionist, I would still highly recommend seeing one. She asked me a bunch of questions and is tailoring a personalized diet plan for me to insure I get the nutrients I need post-op. My session with her was only $49.

Transitioning from lapband to bypass on June 12!
HW: 402, CW: 314, GW 185

My surgery is June 30th and pre-surgical testing, my visit with the surgeon and a group class for all having surgery around the same time on June 5th. My Nut gave me a list of things to get...baby spoons, Soups, Protein ideas, etc.

I'm going to make my own chicken broth, portion it in freezer bags and freeze it. Going today and getting some popsicle sticks to stick into Greek yogurt for frozen yogurt. I may make my own with some Protein Powder, banana and Jiff Peanut Butter powder. I found a recipe for a pineapple freeze we may be able to have during our liquid phase.... fresh pineapple bits frozen, coconut milk and honey, agave or maple Syrup for sweetness. Put all of that into a food processor. Pinterest has a lot of ideas!

Edited by redfire_angel75

Cottage cheese, Protein Shakes, SF Torani shakes for flavoring, SF pudding, yogurt (was told the one with about 8 grams or less of sugar, Soups. Won't need much else. I spent 8 hours in the hospital, and the next day drove myself to the grocery. In four days I walked approximately three blocks. I thought I would be down awhile, bought way too much in bulk, learned I hate Protein Bars, and half the stuff became outdated and ended up in the trash. At first a boiled egg would keep me for hours, or a Protein Shake. Unfortunately all that changes and you can eat anything and everything. Good luck!

Sleeved May 24th. Before I went into hospital, I made a batch of homemade chicken broth and froze them in ice cube trays and just made it convenient. Each chicken broth cube is one ounce. My dr. said no Protein Shakes only clear Protein isolate the first week. So what helped is about a month out I started testing out clear protein isolate drinks. And then stocked up on the ones I liked. I made lots sf Jello and stocked up on lots of sf pop sickles. I'm still not allowed fruits or veggies, which I can't wait to eat. Also my doctor said no greek yogurt which I absolutely love.

Edited by Hoolahoopster

i had tylenol (needed once). i loaded up on sugar free Jello, made sure i was well stocked in Protein powder, also sugar free popsicles. also i got a bunch of small (5 ounce) plastic cups with tops. helps to measure 4 oz per hour for drinking early. will use cups for lunch items heading back to work.

liquid Tylenol, stool softener, milk of magnesia, gas -x. A tolerable drink other than Water to help you stay hydrated in case water isn't working for you. I fell in love with aldi fit n active mango tropical flavored water beverage. Sometimes it's easier to get down than water and I couldn't tolerate the crystal light. Heating pad, I could only lady on my back bc it felt like my belly was pulling on my sides or sitting up on the couch the first week [emoji58], so that came in handy. If you don't have someone at home with you a reacher may be helpful bc everything I drop stayed on the floor until one of my teens walked by and oh hey can you pick this up for me.

Sent from my SM-N920T using BariatricPal mobile app

I would have a sugar free drink besides Water handy. I have read and it was the same with me, water made me a little nauseous. My surgeon suggested crystal lite. Milk of magnesia was something I needed around the fifth day. The first week I just wanted to sleep so I agree with the person who said do your laundry and stuff prior. I had clean sheets and a comfy shirt to sleep in and lounge. Sugar free Popsicles and broth were really the only thing I could do the first week. Good luck!

Dry mouth spray IN the hospital. #1 thing I needed. At home you just need Clear Liquids in your kitchen. I liked what someone said above about making sure all errands and chores are already done. My dad stayed with me a couple nights after I got home but I was pretty mobile.

Definitely had a hard time with Water even before surgery I was getting tired of it. Before I went into the hospital I made a large pitcher of Decaf raspberry ice tea. So refreshing and also I was mixing my clear Liquid Protein isolate with my tea to take the edge off.