Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! I ate a whole Pizza. How??

You are definitely not a psychiatrist who's able to decide if someone needs therapy or not.

Suggesting she seek therapy or support groups is not a bad idea or judging her, these are people advising her, which is why she posted on the thread to begin with. She's asking for help, they're helping her.

Nobody is putting her down.

Stop making drama.
There is no drama.

You're rude. You should keep your opinions to yourself unless they're going to be constructive.

It's happened but you know, you're not alone. You made a mistake, you are owning it, you came here and sought help, I think you know ultimately what to do.

I suggest OA, counseling or therapy, or something that works for you to help get it under control. Type or log all food, seek recipes high in Protein to keep you full, and that are delicious to satisfy your taste buds. You're not the only one who has fallen off the horse and had to get back up.

I think this is a fear of many, and from what my own doctor said, many have done this. Binging doesn't stretch your sleeve out, but it does signal to your brain you can continue if you keep up the habit. Once isn't the end all be all, so dust yourself off and get moving forward.

I'm wishing you all the best on your journey. Personally, I know you can do it, if you want.

Edited by MBird

On 5/13/2017 at 5:56 PM, summerset said:

You are definitely not a psychiatrist who's able to decide if someone needs therapy or not.

I find this discussion about therapy interesting and wanted to add my thoughts.

I am a clinical psychologist (doctoral level) and work full time as a psychotherapist. I very rarely would say someone "needs" therapy. This may be more about semantics than anything else, but I may certainly recommend therapy, at times strongly, and would advise someone that therapy will likely be helpful or that I am concerned that without therapy there will likely be a lower quality of life, or higher risk of suicide or other poor outcomes. "Need" only typically is only mentioned in cases of imminent risk to self or others or legally mandated situations. This may mostly be a clinical choice as many people will give pushback to the more directive tone of "need" versus professional recommendation and encouragement.

That said, I recommend therapy, many times without the heavy emphasis of a formal recommendation, very freely, both as a therapist and just a person. I very much believe in therapy, both as a practitioner and a client. I have no problem with others, with limited psych knowledge or knowledge about the person, recommending therapy. I believe many to most people can benefit in some way from therapy. There is very little risk, and cost is typically only in terms of money and time (versus medications or other medical options with a greater number and severity of potential risks and costs which must be weighed against potential benefits). The major risk I see is seeing a mediocre or worse therapist. I think educating yourself in advance on the basics of therapy and what to look for in a good therapist is very helpful so you know when you need to switch, as well as knowing sometimes someone is a great therapist but for many potential reasons are a poor fit for you in particular. A good one will not take offense at all for being asked for a transfer as our whole goal is for the client to benefit even if that is with someone different.

One thing that I notice is that some people (not necessarily anyone here) will recommend therapy or say someone needs therapy in a way I feel reflects stigma of therapy or mental illness. The implication often is the person has a mental illness that needs to be treated by a professional (something that absolutely should not be determined by anyone other than a professional after a thorough assessment, and in my opinion a MH professional, but that's a separate topic). A similar implication is when it is known the person has a mental illness, and is told to go to therapy or take medications as a way of invalidating their current experience. In other words (the message is), if their emotions, thoughts or behavior are being attributed to a mental illness, they do not need to be considered as valid as those same emotions/thoughts/behavior displayed by someone without a known history of mental illness and the person should take care of this problem through treating it until it conforms to some standard the speaker holds.

To take this a step further the implied message behind this can be the more harmful "wow, you have some serious problems/are being very irrational/'crazy', etc.". This is a way of distancing oneself and labeling the other person as in the category of "other" as opposed to the speaker and other normal/understandable/"sane" people. That kind of message can be extraordinarily harmful both in perpetuating societal stigma and increasing self-stigma. It is typically not intended to be harmful but hard to challenge as since it is formed through the lens of existing stigma and ignorance the person is likely to be defensive (such as when a unintentional but overt racist or sexist comment is challenged).

In summary: it should be safe to suggest therapy to anyone if you feel therapy may be genuinely helpful. The OP is at the very least going through a time of adjustment and stress, with stated distress about current eating pattern, so I would recommend therapy as an option. Just make sure you don't tell someone (or imply) they have a mental illness or that what they are going through is part of a known mental illness (at least in the context we are talking here). Always try to be aware of your areas of limited knowledge and bias.

16 minutes ago, CaitlynR said:

I find this discussion about therapy interesting and wanted to add my thoughts.

I am a clinical psychologist (doctoral level) and work full time as a psychotherapist. I very rarely would say someone "needs" therapy. This may be more about semantics than anything else, but I may certainly recommend therapy, at times strongly, and would advise someone that therapy will likely be helpful or that I am concerned that without therapy there will likely be a lower quality of life, or higher risk of suicide or other poor outcomes. "Need" only typically is only mentioned in cases of imminent risk to self or others or legally mandated situations. This may mostly be a clinical choice as many people will give pushback to the more directive tone of "need" versus professional recommendation and encouragement.

That said, I recommend therapy, many times without the heavy emphasis of a formal recommendation, very freely, both as a therapist and just a person. I very much believe in therapy, both as a practitioner and a client. I have no problem with others, with limited psych knowledge or knowledge about the person, recommending therapy. I believe many to most people can benefit in some way from therapy. There is very little risk, and cost is typically only in terms of money and time (versus medications or other medical options with a greater number and severity of potential risks and costs which must be weighed against potential benefits). The major risk I see is seeing a mediocre or worse therapist. I think educating yourself in advance on the basics of therapy and what to look for in a good therapist is very helpful so you know when you need to switch, as well as knowing sometimes someone is a great therapist but for many potential reasons are a poor fit for you in particular. A good one will not take offense at all for being asked for a transfer as our whole goal is for the client to benefit even if that is with someone different.

One thing that I notice is that some people (not necessarily anyone here) will recommend therapy or say someone needs therapy in a way I feel reflects stigma of therapy or mental illness. The implication often is the person has a mental illness that needs to be treated by a professional (something that absolutely should not be determined by anyone other than a professional after a thorough assessment, and in my opinion a MH professional, but that's a separate topic). A similar implication is when it is known the person has a mental illness, and is told to go to therapy or take medications as a way of invalidating their current experience. In other words (the message is), if their emotions, thoughts or behavior are being attributed to a mental illness, they do not need to be considered as valid as those same emotions/thoughts/behavior displayed by someone without a known history of mental illness and the person should take care of this problem through treating it until it conforms to some standard the speaker holds.

To take this a step further the implied message behind this can be the more harmful "wow, you have some serious problems/are being very irrational/'crazy', etc.". This is a way of distancing oneself and labeling the other person as in the category of "other" as opposed to the speaker and other normal/understandable/"sane" people. That kind of message can be extraordinarily harmful both in perpetuating societal stigma and increasing self-stigma. It is typically not intended to be harmful but hard to challenge as since it is formed through the lens of existing stigma and ignorance the person is likely to be defensive (such as when a unintentional but overt racist or sexist comment is challenged).

In summary: it should be safe to suggest therapy to anyone if you feel therapy may be genuinely helpful. The OP is at the very least going through a time of adjustment and stress, with stated distress about current eating pattern, so I would recommend therapy as an option. Just make sure you don't tell someone (or imply) they have a mental illness or that what they are going through is part of a known mental illness (at least in the context we are talking here). Always try to be aware of your areas of limited knowledge and bias.

It seems very common on these threads for people to suggest counseling or therapy. Being a professional, do you have any resources or guidelines as to what kind of counseling or therapy wls patients might need? Does anyone have any stories to share about how a counselor has helped (or maybe not helped). I have been thinking about therapy myself but I'm not sure to what end. Yes I have struggled with eating, depression, and anxiety....is that pathological....I don't know. It could just be a realistic evaluation of my chances of overcoming my health problems and resulting social stigmas. Is it recommended to go to therapy when what you need is mostly someone to vent to and someone that might help you challenge negative thought pattern? Or is that kind of a waste of resources.

1 minute ago, hardwork&dedication said:

It seems very common on these threads for people to suggest counseling or therapy. Being a professional, do you have any resources or guidelines as to what kind of counseling or therapy wls patients might need? Does anyone have any stories to share about how a counselor has helped (or maybe not helped). I have been thinking about therapy myself but I'm not sure to what end. Yes I have struggled with eating, depression, and anxiety....is that pathological....I don't know. It could just be a realistic evaluation of my chances of overcoming my health problems and resulting social stigmas. Is it recommended to go to therapy when what you need is mostly someone to vent to and someone that might help you challenge negative thought pattern? Or is that kind of a waste of resources.

I have no expertise at all in working with people who are preparing for/ have had weight loss surgery.. To be honest, that was not at all part of my education or training, although I was in an excellent program. I think it is very rare, and I would question (in a neutral way) MH professional who claims to have expertise in this area. I suspect psychologists specializing in eating disorders (which I am not and will refer out for) may have more knowledge as there is some overlap (but of course only some, don't know the numbers but probably most prople who have WLS do not have a diagnosable eating disorder).

That said, I think for most people, a good generalist therapist would be a great option.

In my opinion, therapy just to vent is pretty pointless. Venting/ complaining is fine and often needed, but it is a starting point and staying there isn't going to get you much. Increasing understanding of your throught pattern, having someone highlight blinds spots, help you think through things and challenge unhelpful patterns? Ruling in or out a mood or eating disorder? Perfect. Abolutely I think there is a good chance it will be well worth the time and money. Just make sure the therapist is not a "support only" type, as I feel that kind of therapy feels good but doesn't really help. Support is a necessary but not sufficient element of therapy. The most helpful therapy is hard work.

Disclaimer just to be safe: to be clear, I am wearing my personal/friend hat and not my psychologist hat on for any statements I make on here. Everything I say should be interpreted as something "Caitlyn who happens to be a psychologist" says and not speaking for the field of psychology, entering any sort of professional relationship with anyone, or intended to be any sort of professional assessment or treatment. (End ethical/legal disclaimer)

On 5/13/2017 at 4:48 PM, summerset said:

Ah, come on... carbs may be sliding down easier than very Protein rich foods (they do, no question about that) but it's not like you're getting no restriction at all from foods like Pasta, bread or pizza so you can binge your way into oblivion the moment a carb manages to get into your pouch.

Carbs (like bread, crackers, etc) actually fill me up much faster than protein! I very, very rarely ever eat them though. I am 8 months out and I can still only eat 3 ounces at a time. I cant even eat a whole piece of pizza, much less a whole pizza! Even if I had all day, I couldn't do it. I am not trying to put anyone down or make anyone feel bad, so please, anyone who is reading this, don't take it personally or negatively. It is just my personal journey so far.

Edited by ready_to_be_thin

On 2017-05-13 at 11:55 AM, Berry78 said:

Ok, diet help:

Get on youtube and search "The Dr. V diet" watch the video. That will get you started. Dr. Duc Vuong is a wonderful resource for information.

Also, Dr. Matthew Weiner has a lot of videos too.

Essentially, like you have found, the surgery will only work for a limited time, then it is up to us. We have to change our minds and the CONTENT of our diets to have lasting success.

If we continue eating the same things we ate before surgery, we will end up in the same shape. We have to change WHAT we eat, not just how MUCH.

I tried the spinach smoothie yesterday for Breakfast. I was scared! But it was good! I used a whole banana and 2 handfuls of blueberries and coconut Water. So maybe more extras than needed, but baby steps!

If you watch the video and wonder about Protein, 4oz of meat gives 28g x 2 is 56g, then add a 15g snack (or have 2 eggs for breakfast), and you are set for the day.. Assuming a 70g/day Protein goal.

Those are the two doctors I follow!!!!

[mention=298899]kimberb[/mention]
The moisture content of food really matters. if it has a lot of sauce and a thin crust, it is basically a puree once you chew and pretty easy to eat a whole pizza.< br> Not to mention anyone can eat a whole pizza with enough time.
It is really a lot easier than people think.

I don't agree I could never eat a whole pizza by myself now or especially after I have my surgery, she surely needs to see her Dr. to find out what to do I agree she needs immediate mental health care to find out why.

Sent from my N9519 using BariatricPal mobile app

She definitely needs some psychiatrist help, it's not a weakness to need some help and it could probably help her understand why she gained weight in the very beginning. I'm bipolar and get help from my psychiatrist it's not a bad thing to admit you need help, we wouldn't be here if we could do everything ourselves. I got into AA after years of drug abuse and am 7 years clean now but I quit drugs and adopted food as my new addiction. I use my steps in AA to help me with my food addiction. It has helped me immensely. I just do it one day at a time, sometimes when I am craving foods and I know I've reached my true limit I just distract myself and before I know it the craving is gone. It is truly worth a try to find what works for each individual, we are all different maybe what works for one won't work for someone else check out all your options and don't be so negative about seeing a psychiatrist they are truly some great drs. Good luck.

Sent from my N9519 using BariatricPal mobile app

Aye....all these opinions on here...anybody stop to ask how the person who made this thread is doing now? It was months ago since she wrote & she ate a whole pizza 3wks after fresh stomach stapling.....is she ok? Is she ALIVE?

YO....Lady.....you OK?? Like, Write back or sumn..

I had change my chapter since my gastric sleeve surgery last January and I'm chosen what i eat or not eat..

*I'm quit eat pizza because of my post gastric sleeve surgery last January i wont eat pizza because of carbs too much for me..

*I can eat what i wanted but I'm quit fried food and I'm still eat healthier food include fruits and vegetables but i cant eat battered food..

* Too much carbs include pizzas,Chinese,Mexican,Italian,seafood like Olive Garden and red lobster both too much carbs and i have to hold that till I'm lose more weight first my advise for you don't eat carbs please!