Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recovery timeline?

My surgery is scheduled for 6/1. (I'm scared!!). My daughter has a softball tournament out of town the 9-11. Will I be able to go? I'll be 8 days post op. It will mean I'll basically have to pack a bunch of Protein Shakes and Soup. Also, what is the soonest any of you have driven after surgery? If I don't take the pain meds, do you think I'll be able to drive short distances 4 days post op? Thank you!!

It depends. Do you have a high pain tolerance? I was able to quit my meds when I got home (within 36 hours) and drive.

I think you will be fine at the tournament if you can sit most of the time and its not too hot.

It is just really hard to say yes or no because everyone is different. I had very little pain, and since I live alone I was back doing things quickly. Everyone is different though.

Just make sure you walk as much as you can as soon as you wake up from surgery, it makes everything easier.

There is no way I could have gone. Sorry to tell you that. It has nothing to do with packing food, and everything to do with healing from major surgery.

After 8 hours in the hospital for the sleeve I took one pain pill at home. I drove to the grocery store after one day and walked a large shopping mall four days later, of course driving myself. I was raring to go!!!! I was 67 then.

I do not do well after surgery but I was still in the hospital 4 days post op. I was in the hospital 5 nights after surgery even though you usually stay 1-2. I also had a lot of pain for 3 weeks after surgery and was on dilaudid that whole time. I am not the typical case though.

8 days post-op would have been a no-go for me. I was way too tired for much those first couple weeks. Having said that, everyone is different and heals at a different pace. I wish you the best!!

I should add, my surgery is outpatient and I'll be home that night. I have a pretty high tolerance for pain. I usually only take the pain meds after surgery (2 c-sections and a foot surgery) for a couple of days. It WILL be hot at the tournament - last year it was 105 degrees. I just don't want to miss it, I'm already missing the tournament that is the day after my surgery, and I feel so embarrassed (and angry with myself) that I'm missing her stuff because of my issue!

4 minutes ago, RHmama said:

I should add, my surgery is outpatient and I'll be home that night. I have a pretty high tolerance for pain. I usually only take the pain meds after surgery (2 c-sections and a foot surgery) for a couple of days.

It's not really a pain issue. I think you will find it to be much more of a stamina issue.

4 minutes ago, RHmama said:

st don't want to miss it, I'm already missing the tournament that is the day after my surgery, and I feel so embarrassed (and angry with myself) that I'm missing her stuff because of my issue!

What the hell do you have to be embarrassed about? You are making a choice that will allow you to be part of those things you care about much longer than you ever would without surgery. No need to feel embarrassed, though anger is allowed! :D

Edited by Navigating the Wilderness

I never took a pain pill when I got home. I did though have nausea for a week and was dehydrated to the point of being too dizzy to stand for more than a few minutes at a time, which lasted 10 days. It is impossible to predict how you will feel after the surgery. I would say opt with not going, and if you feel okay by then, then go. As a mom, I totally understand your guilt for missing an event in your child's life. What you have to look at, in this moment, is that you are doing something for you, which is not selfish. The most important thing for you to do is to make sure you take care of yourself after surgery so that you can go to all her other events in the future. You don't need the additional stress of worrying about missing the event or pushing your body to do something it is not ready to do. Your child will understand.

I should add, my surgery is outpatient and I'll be home that night. I have a pretty high tolerance for pain. I usually only take the pain meds after surgery (2 c-sections and a foot surgery) for a couple of days. It WILL be hot at the tournament - last year it was 105 degrees. I just don't want to miss it, I'm already missing the tournament that is the day after my surgery, and I feel so embarrassed (and angry with myself) that I'm missing her stuff because of my issue!

Try to think of the bigger picture. You may miss a game or two but being able to be there for her wedding and possibly your grandchildren is a much bigger deal. It's not selfish to want to live longer and healthier!

I'm going to go against the flow and say I think I could have gone to the tournament, if I could just sit and watch! However, I would strongly suggest you get someone else to drive you~

I'm in a similar situation and will try to handle a kid event 9 days post-op. But I also found out that it will be live streamed, and if I have to watch it rather than go in person I'll do that. You might want to see if it will be live streamed or if somebody can Facebook live or periscope it, as backup and for peace of mind for however you feel!

I would never have been able to go. I'm having a harder time than most though because I have other health issues I'm dealing with on top of it.

Recovery time is slow. I was walking 4 miles a day before surgery on 4/26. I'm 3 weeks after surgery and I can barely walk for 5 minutes. Any suggestions

5 minutes ago, jneu said:

Recovery time is slow. I was walking 4 miles a day before surgery on 4/26. I'm 3 weeks after surgery and I can barely walk for 5 minutes. Any suggestions

How are you doing on your fluids and Protein intake? Try to focus on getting the recommended daily amounts and see if that helps your energy level.