Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 week post op and NO FULL FEELING

I ma 1 week post op and I am not experiencing a full feeling. I am not feeling any discomfort. I am not experiencing any nausea. I basically have to stop myself from drinking too much liquids or too much Soup. I was told that it would be difficult to get anything down.... NOPE... I was told that I would have to MAKE myself get the Protein Drinks down each day.. NOPE.. I can drink a 12 oz Protein Drink in one sitting with no problem... Of course, I don't do it but so disappointed that I feel NO discomfort of full feeling at all. I was up walking the same day with no problem and went through surgery with flying colors. Anyone else struggling with not feeling full ??? So depressed and disheartened at this point. I feel like I am starving myself. I am miserable.

Because it's liquid you won't feel much restriction. I really didn't either. And I had the head hunger to boot. Mentally, one week post op was when I felt the worst emotionally and you sound just like I did a couple short weeks ago. Make sure you're getting your Protein with your Soups and drink as much Water as you comfortably can.

I was shocked when I moved on to purees a couple weeks ago and I actually got that "full" feeling. Give your body time, you've just been through a LOT!

The trick is to realize that liquid has no mass really, nothing for your stomach to digest. Wait till your stomach as to work at something. :) don't rush it, and don't worry. Your stomach really is 85% gone.

I felt hungry all the time for the first 2-3 months after surgery, but it finally tapered off to now I know the difference between hungry and not. About a week after I started getting the "hangrys" so hubby cooked up a nice scrambled egg for me. I ate about half of it, slowly. It seemed to help me a lot! Hang in there. It should get better.

I am the same way. But I know the liquid pretty much just flows on through. I have the head hunger like no one's business and it's making me emotionally a wreck. I do have some discomfort to remind me what I went through though. I struggle to get even my fluids in. 1 more week until the soft stage and I'm looking forward to it.

1 hour ago, BrodieGL25 said:

I ma 1 week post op and I am not experiencing a full feeling. I am not feeling any discomfort. I am not experiencing any nausea. I basically have to stop myself from drinking too much liquids or too much Soup. I was told that it would be difficult to get anything down.... NOPE... I was told that I would have to MAKE myself get the Protein Drinks down each day.. NOPE.. I can drink a 12 oz Protein Drink in one sitting with no problem... Of course, I don't do it but so disappointed that I feel NO discomfort of full feeling at all. I was up walking the same day with no problem and went through surgery with flying colors. Anyone else struggling with not feeling full ??? So depressed and disheartened at this point. I feel like I am starving myself. I am miserable.

Mostly that applies to people with low pain tolerance, a lot of swelling and old age. The people with problems complain the most so they get to set the narrative.

I never had an issue getting my fluids in. I had very little pain (stopped taking pain meds with 36 hours).

I had to be able to eat and drink to be released from the hospital.

You will not feel full on liquids. They go right through your stomach.

This is an important thing to remember down the road, that end immediately post op liquids are no filling, so avoid drinking liquid calories.

Also your nerves are disconnected so you can't really feel full even if you are. Be grateful you can nourish yourself without issues and focus on recovering.

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

Good question, I was just sleeved a little over a week ago and had the same concerns. I haven't had any issues drinking my Water and eating (drinking) my Protein. I stopped the pain meds after 4 days, and went back to work after a week. I was also initially concerned about feeling hungry even after eating, but I'm already starting to not feel hungry and forgot to eat. Today I set a schedule so I could get all of my meals in (4 oz, 6 x a day, 60 g protein).

I had surgery about 2 1/2 weeks ago and I didn't feel full during the liquids diet but I didn't feel hunger either. It just hurt to be honest. I had a hard time getting enough fluids and Protein the first couple of days, mostly because I was nervous to over do it when I couldn't feel anything in my stomach but pain.

I moved onto soft foods on Thursday and I definitely feel it a lot more than the liquids diet. The full feeling is a lot different then it was before surgery though so that's something I'm getting used to as well. I'm not sure if its just the size or that I'm still sore. I've seen other people mention that they have different signs of fullness. I also read somewhere that some people feel the first sign of fullness in their chest.

There are a lot of changes that have happened so there's a lot to get used to. But like others have said there isn't really a feeling of fullness from liquids. Just make sure you get the recommended amount of Water and protein from your nutritionist.

I guess the grass truly is greener, huh? You get the people having major regrets and misery because their recovery has been so hard on them... and then the people for whom recovery is going TOO easy!

Don't psyche yourself out! I'm like you, now that I'm on solids I do feel restriction but it's not nearly so uncomfortable, painful, or difficult to deal with as it is for some people. I basically have no limits on what I can eat, only what amount. I have to consciously make good choices. I can't depend on my body to "punish" me. And you know what? I've made peace with that. I'm still losing weight, and I'm keeping up with my good habits, and learning how to CHOOSE to eat well. With this freedom comes responsibility yes, but that's okay. I can handle this! You can too!

Just because every mouthful isn't abject suffering doesn't mean the surgery isn't going to work. All of us have to MAKE it work. Yes, even the people for whom restriction is more severe or who have dumping syndrome and food intolerances etc etc. They still have to make it work by doing their part. Severe restriction and dumping syndrome often don't last forever, and people who depend on them alone to lose weight are missing out on the time to learn new habits those of us without that safety net have to learn from the beginning.

So take this opportunity to really wrap your head around the fact that this is all on you, but you can rise to the challenge and succeed. Don't be scared, just be realistic.

I am not at all saying that I am relying on being full to lose weight. I am just merely asking if anyone else is still experiencing the same thing. I have no problem drinking an entire Protein drink down without any discomfort and nothing coming up. No problems with anything. I don't feel full, I don't have any discomfort. My recovery has been basically pain free. I was a tiny bit sore the first 2 days but never took pain medicine after getting home. I took Tylenol the first day I was home but only 1 time.

I am thankful that I have been issue free and pain free. I had psyched myself up for some discomfort and pain and felt like a million bucks 3 days after surgery. But, the liquid diet is KILLING ME because I am not full. Not after the protein, not after drinking Water, not after soup.. NOTHING. I feel like I am starving myself. I am still hungry.... That being said.. I am not giving into anything and have done everything that I am supposed to be doing. It is just extremely different than what I thought. I feel like I never had surgery and just decided to start starving myself and go on a liquid diet. that's how I feel.

On 5/8/2017 at 11:45 AM, BrodieGL25 said:

I basically have to stop myself from drinking too much liquids or too much Soup.

I felt the exact same way till today. I was worried, was the sleeve small enough? I had my post op and I have been on liquids for 3 weeks. I can drink Water normally and Soup takes a bit longer. I can easily finish 8oz of soup for a meal.

But, today I started puree, lol. My first meal was 1/8th cup of cottage cheese. I was so full. I am now sitting here 3 hours later finishing my cottage cheese, another 1/8th. Two meals = 1/4 cup of food

Its the liquids, they go down easily.