Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New preop members - yes, it's all real.

To all the new people joining who are preop, the struggle is real even pre surgery!

Your body odor will very noticeably change - usually for the worse - once you start losing. Mine went from almost no odor post workout to "oh for heavens sakes, something died in my armpits and crotch!" Right around the 40 pound mark loss. If you are like me and have used the same cheap deodorant since middle school, plan a burial ceremony now because you'll need something much stronger.

You will get unsolicited advice at the gym and people will stare. Realize most are just wanting to help and are unsure how to approach it. Smile, be thankful, and very quickly you'll have some reliable gym buddies that can help train you for free instead of paying for a trainer. It's not necessary to become defensive even though it WILL hurt when they throw assumptions around.

Every surgeon, PCP, NUT, psychologist, etc is different. According to my surgeon, once all of your preop hoops are completed, he takes a day or two to review and approve before the work is sent to insurance for approval. At that point, they set a date for after the 2 week max time allowed for the insurance to make a decision. My state might be different and I'm sure if there are questions or issues, it will take insurance longer to make a decision.

Ask for copies of everything! Things get lost in translation often.

Yes there is a "week 3 stall" that will happen normally between 2-4 weeks post op, and AT ANY POINT pre-op. Do not give up on diet and exercise just because your body is throwing a temper tantrum. Keep working on you and your body will give up. Be more stubborn than it wants you to be. It's just trying to readjust and come to terms with the changes. Keep in mind that this will not be the only time you stall. It is normal to stall and changing your exercise and diet routine for a week might break it.

Stay off the scale! But not too much. Yes, A body can fluctuate 2 pounds each day. Mine has fluctuated by 5 pounds here or there. If you're a scale junky, pick a day each week for a weigh in and track it. For those who hate the scale, Weigh yourself at least once a month to keep on track.

Depending on how much you need to lose, it takes too long for someone to FINALLY notice and ask if you've lost "a little weight". After you've lost the equivalent of a newborn YAK, they'll say something awesome like "yeah I can really see it in your face". The rest of your body will be noticeable soon too, no worries.

Deflated boobs or a magically larger penis is part of the joy of the journey. No your manhood did not literally enlarge. It is just not surrounded by so much cushion so more of it is available. And ladies, if your like me, the first 40 will come from your chest. Get used to looking like a helium balloon that's been trapped in a hot car for 2 days. All sad and wrinkled. I haven't even gone through surgery yet and they're already bowing instead of saluting.

Stock up on lotion. The first 10 pounds quickly lost in the first week or two is Water weight. Dry skin is real after that! Eventually it will regulate to normal, but it might take a long while during your journey as you continue to lose weight.

Withdrawing from sugar, carbs, and caffeine will feel like a near death experience. After a week, it's better. After a month, you almost don't want it anymore. Going back on the stuff will make you feel sick at this point. Push through the withdraw period. It's worth it.

Drink a half an ounce of water per pound you are each day. For me, that ends up being roughly 18 CUPS of water - or a gallon and a half. It keeps you full, energized, washes out those wonderful toxins we've built up in our fat pantry, and helps flush the slew of hormones you'll experience as you lose. No you will not die from drinking that much water throughout a 12 hour day. And don't worry, after the first few weeks you won't be peeing as much as you will at first.

Yes you're hungry, we all are. Yes you will survive because yes it's all in your head. You got to this point by allowing your brain to run the show. Well your brain is officially your enemy from now on. It's time to follow your heart and do what you know is right, even if it's hard. You have a purpose that is personal to you only. Hold on to that like a life vest during this storm. It will pass and you will be thankful and proud that you can finally trust yourself.

If you do everything right, there's really no way you can't lose weight - except in the normal stall phases. The key is to be honest with yourself. People will enjoy giving examples of why this has to be wrong. Let's face it, if we could trust ourselves, we wouldn't be in this particular position in life. We will lie about what we really eat. It's just what makes us feel better.

For heavens sake, make a list of every question you can think of and ask your doctors! They do this every day so they should be a reliable source. Mostly, Good luck on the journey. We are rooting for you!

HW: 328 (02/22/17)

SW: TBD

CW: 288

Pounds disowned to date: 40

Mine I'm hoping is July 26 just waiting for approval from insurance...I agree excellent post...I'm gonna print it to keep motivating myself [emoji106]thank you and God bless

Mine I'm hoping is July 26 just waiting for approval from insurance...I agree excellent post...I'm gonna print it to keep motivating myself [emoji106]thank you and God bless

Excellent post, and you haven't even had the surgery yet? Is that correct?
I really like what you had to say.
My surgery will be in July or possibly August.

Sent from my SM-G900V using BariatricPal mobile app

Correct, I haven't had surgery yet. I've lost 44 pounds in the 3 months preop so far. I am waiting for insurance approval now.

CW: 285

Pounds disowned to date: 43

So exciting!! Glad we can motivate each other. It's a frustrating and emotional process for sure.

Oh, and keep a list of achieved NSVs (non scale victories). It will help ease the pain when you don't see the scale moving. It's also fun to have an incentive chart! I have varying weight loss goals that reflect low weight marks, scale numbers, total pounds lost, and personal goal pre surgery (which I've already met and then changed to a new goal). My goals range from 2 pounds to 25 pounds before an incentive is reached. THEN I MAKE SURE TO GET MY INCENTIVE!! Skipping something just makes the chart pointless. I've included pics of my personal "charts" including a monthly weight loss tracker and skinny bucket list (of things I want to achieve once I'm thin). I keep these in the back of my daily journal so I can reflect and update often. Hard to read - sorry - I didn't intend them for sharing. :)

Image1494256926.275588.jpg Image1494256959.286554.jpg Image1494256981.603572.jpg Image1494257000.804528.jpg

My sister and step dad are body builders/weight lifters (depending on their season). I worked out with them often as a teen and have been through every phase of diet/exercise/flabby/fit/muscular/sad there is during my life. I worked my enormous butt off in 2011 to lose weight after having my kids and being diagnosed with PCOS. I went from 287 to 218 in 2-3 years just on diet and exercise. Then, tada!, I got pregnant through 2 forms of birth control and gained over 100 pounds during pregnancy. Now, 2 years after birth, I'm back on diet and exercise while waiting for this tool that will help me stop the rollercoaster ride.

I have only told my husband about surgery. No one else in my family would agree. But now that I'm older and been through these weigh ups and downs way too many times in my life, I'm ready to stop the routine and get help.