Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To exercise or not exercise- Poll

Okay so we all know exercise is great and recommended but I have a friend who got surgery, worked her ass off with a personal trainer and has lost the same amount as her roommate who has not done anymore then walking. Just curious and looking for honest answers as to your progress and how much exercise through our (starting what week, how many days etc)

Seminar 12/27/16: wt 304

Surgery 3/23: wt 287

3 week post: 266.4

I started walking right after my surgery with a goal of 8,000 steps a day. Just over 6 months later and I average 20,000 steps a day and lost almost 100 pounds since the surgery. No other exercises.

Literally everyone is different and depends on their fitness prior to surgery as well.

Someone who has never been active, has surgery, and then finally starts walking (which is still awesome) will drop pounds more rapidly than someone who had some muscle prior and has some athletic prowess.

I fall in the second category. Currently all my weight loss (I'm four weeks out) has been from my muscle burning and depleting, not fat. If I had just been all fat and no muscle I have a feeling I would be dropping faster.

its going to be a long road to gain strength back. And likely a much slower weight loss for those of us with muscle prior to surgery.

I walked the first 6 months post op and dropped weight quickly. Re: the dreaded saggy skin. I started working out with a PT and although I haven't dropped in lbs the inches and fat % are melting away. My arms and legs are getting toned and love the feeling of working out with a PT as purely walking for me was getting boring fast. Like others said it depends a lot on body chemistry but I'd rather build the muscle that I have from PT. Btw at the moment I work out 4x a week at about 1hr 20-30minutes.

I walk. I run (very rarely). I fence for 2 hours twice a week (as in en garde). I work with my trainer every other week. I try to get to the gym 1 or 2 times a week because I'm at the saggy skin stage - I'm trying to get the muscle to redefine what I look like.

chocolate and vanilla -- and the genetics you were born with.

I think it's important to remember that it's not 100% about the weight - being healthier means more than seeing a lower number on the scale. Exercise provides a lot of benefits that our bodies need, plus it helps with looking and feeling better (Google "same weight muscle vs fat" if you want some visual evidence). Also, in the long run, lots of studies have shown that while diet is the most important factor in losing, exercise is the most important factor in maintaining - and weight bearing exercise is the kind that makes the difference. Might as well get going on that lifelong commitment now.

I have always been fairly active and at times very fit, but I'm convinced that slacking on exercise the LAST time I lost a lot is what made me gain it all back (and then some).

That said, different bodies work different ways. Everyone has to find what works best for their own body. Exercise certainly won't HURT anyone, though.

Currently, I'm walking about 5-6 miles a day. I plan to incorporate weights when I'm in a time/place I can join a gym - I'm just doing stuff with no equipment now at home (better than nothing, I suppose).

Edited by Jen581791

Studies have shown weight loss is 80% diet, 20% movement. Like the poster above said, the benefits of exercise aren't just weight loss.

I feel if you don't find some kind of way to move more once you've lost the weight and want to maintain it, you will have a difficult road ahead. Your chances of maintaining your weight are much better with a regualr exercise routine.

I do it like it's my job, like bathing or brushing my teeth. It's just something I have to do if I want to stay a normal weight and healthy.

Edited by Greensleevie

Everyone is correct. We are all different. You'll hear that every time you post a question like this. But here is my story.

I am four weeks out from my surgery. spent 8 days in the hospital with complications. Developed a blood clot in my lung. I also have myasthenia gravis which is an auto immune disease that attacks the signals my brain sends my muscles, making exercise very difficult. So 8 out of my 29 days in the hospital and weakness from my disease and a painful blood clot and in all reality a sedentary 29 days. I've lost 30 pounds. I imagine I'd be much better off if I could get more cardio in and as I get stronger I will.

so that's my story.

I walk x3 day with the dog round the field takes 30 min I can now do it in 20

I walk 45 minutes a day. I know that I didn't exercise that much before. I feel so much better & plan to do for the rest of my life.