Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling compelled to eat my favorite things (pre-surgery)

My surgery won't be for a few months (I'm aiming for the end of summer) and I find myself trying to debate how to handle eating. On one hand, I want to be as disciplined as possible so I can lose a little weight and prepare for the post-surgery diet. On the other hand, I keep finding excuses to eat things because I tell myself I won't be able to eat them after the surgery.

I think it's OK to have a few "last meals" at favorite restaurants before the real pre-op diet begins. However, I need to really cut out the snack cakes, Cookies, ice cream and so on between meals and late at night.

What are your thoughts? What have you done to balance the need for "last meals" and mindless snacking?

I had a similar mindset. While "some" of that is true (there are going to be certain things that just won't be a part of your food intake in the future), it's largely unwarranted. Remember, this is largely a head game. We'll be able to eat most things again, just in significantly smaller quantities.

Keep your eye on the goal, not on all of the stumbling blocks along the way.

I was just so sick of being so huge (I weighed almost 400 pounds when I started), and so sick of the endless cycle of crap food, that I was ready to get started. So I did. I had to do a six month pre-op diet program as an insurance requirement, so I got started. I embraced a low-carb way of eating, and started at 2000 calories per day, inching my way down to 1200 calories per day for the last 3 months of the 6. I kept my carbs at 20 or less every single day since I started. I lost 99 pounds during those six months (from 397 to 298 by surgery day).

I was so disgusted with myself and the whole food thing that I was ready to let it all go. I am glad that I felt that way, because it was time to do something, and there was no reason to wait.

I have a success story that turned failure because of a mindset like you describe.
I started my pre op process feb 22 this year. I stuck to a very low carb, high Protein, low sugar diet (even keeping natural sugars and carbs to a minimum). As of early April, I lost 40 pounds and was hoping for another 20 lost before I have surgery.
Now for the failure. The rest of the month of April, I went on vacation and had a very odd period. All of which I used as a reason why I didn't ("couldn't") do to the gym and slack on my diet. I kept telling myself that I wasn't doing TOO bad and that I'd get back on track "when _____". I stalled big time. This morning I got on the scale and was 5 pounds up. 5 .... pounds ....
I'm sure you can understand how defeated and disappointed I feel. And it's all my fault. I am large because of my excuses and lack of mental strength. Now look what I've done this time. I proved to myself that I'm still a professional at sabotaging myself. For no reason whatsoever except that food tastes good. Ugh
Don't be me. And stop being you. Be better.

HW: 328 (02/22/17)
SW: TBD
CW: 288

Pounds disowned to date: 40

Dude, I gained 5 pounds since the 26th....Ive been trying so hard to stick to my diet but then....I just give in to the cravings.

I only had one day of liquid diet prior to surgery.

Once I had my surgery date I went on a legit bender for about a week and a half, essentially made a food bucket list and hit all my favorites.

I know it isn't never again, and I'm not totally sure why I even did it, but I did and I honestly don't regret it. Made me appreciate the discipline and control I am able to exercise now, 2 weeks post op.

I only had one day of liquid diet prior to surgery.
Once I had my surgery date I went on a legit bender for about a week and a half, essentially made a food bucket list and hit all my favorites.
I know it isn't never again, and I'm not totally sure why I even did it, but I did and I honestly don't regret it. Made me appreciate the discipline and control I am able to exercise now, 2 weeks post op.

Don't worry, I did the same thing. I didn't regret it either.. lol

Sent from my SM-G935T using BariatricPal mobile app

I feel the same way. I have made a mental note of all my favorite spots before my surgery May31st.

Sent from my SM-G900P using BariatricPal mobile app

The way I see it, food cravings can be like addiction for some people and was for me. If it is an issue for whatever reason, the key is to find out why and put a cap on it so you can be successful. I'm on a pre-op diet now, which isn't required, but I feel strongly it will prepare me to curb cravings and get me prepared for what is in store.

My stomach will be smaller so I look at it as I'll eat less and not want to push myself to feeling that "stuffed" feeling from eating junk.

The pleasure I get from eating sweets and fried foods is fleeting, so I remember that and I cling to wanting to feel light and active, to wanting to move without pain. I've been journaling and recording my food a lot again lately and it helps me reinforce how great I'm doing. I realize it's a lifestyle now, not just something I have to do to lose weight but something I have to do to maintain good health in the long run for the rest of my life.

It's hard because food is something we need to survive and it's something that just about every social event is centered around - but for me I just made up my mind I don't want to be in pain, short of breath, suffer physical illness or have a poor quality of existing because I can't control the desire for my cravings.

There will be times down the road when I reach my goal or even on the journey toward it where I can allow myself a bite once a month or a few times a year at social events, and that will be okay if I'm working out hard and eating healthy the rest of the time.

There is no reason for me to binge or break out the foods I'm addicted to. I disregard those things.

I allowed myself a celebratory dinner when my date was moved up and as I ate it realized I hated how I feel. I'm done focusing on the foods I love and feel more excited each day to think about all the healthy things I've never cooked or tried.

Ask yourself if you can change eating habits to be successful in the long run, and try to eliminate those foods you crave little by little - have fun coming up with healthy things and think about things you can do that don't include eating. Be strong, you can do it.

3 minutes ago, MBird said:

Ask yourself if you can change eating habits to be successful in the long run, and try to eliminate those foods you crave little by little - have fun coming up with healthy things and think about things you can do that don't include eating. Be strong, you can do it.

This is good advice. Instead of thinking about this as a divorce from food, I should look at it as trying to adopt the right habits before the surgery. I'll try to think that way — but there may be a few slip-ups along the way! The more I stick with a healthier diet, the more confidence I'll gain.

I am pre-op as well, but struggling on vacation this very minute and hope I will know how to handle vacation post-op but not sure how that works. I have been trying to eliminate needless carbs, but not always sure what else to cook - especially for road trips and hiking and such. Obviously sandwiches are out and things like Pasta salad! (I just had pasta salad, bbq beef brisket) I do grill year round and stir fry, but that doesn't work on the road.

I'm 8 weeks post-op but can tell you that I purposely ate a variety of favorite foods, before surgery, with the thought that once I'd had surgery I'd still "want" these foods but would have to deny myself. What I wish I knew then is that my tastes would change and that, at least in the early months, I would feel no desire for those foods I used to crave. Self-discipline with food has never been my strong point (duh) but the VSG makes it much easier to stay on course.