Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

8 months out - is this when the depression hits?

I've been in a steady downward spiral for about a month. I've been way too busy at work, searching for a home, haven't lost an additional pound, am struggling with eating too much, and am just generally stressed.

I took a couple days off, and they were nice but here I am again.

I never had the post-surgical hormone explosion I've read about. I'm wondering if this is it. I am anxious and depressed and tired all the time. There are a number of things bothering me, but they're not new, and I don't know why they'd be a problem now and not any other time.

And one of those things is my body. Funny - I'm more unhappy about the extra flab around my middle now, at 163 pounds, than I was a year ago at 285. I feel fat.

And no, I don't have time to see a therapist. And yes, I'm on Wellbutrin and Xanax.

I am around 9 months out and completely understand you. I noticed my anxiety increasing and even though I've lost 165 lbs, I am extremely unhappy about the remaining 100 lbs of fat I need to lose. It is like I notice the fat on me more now than I did when I was over 400 lbs. It's really weird. When I was 400 lbs, I always saw myself as smaller than I was in mirrors and such, but now that I am 258, I see myself as bigger than I am and struggle to see the weight I've lost. Super weird. I upped my dosage of Lexapro a couple weeks ago, and am starting to feel better now.

i can't offer advice but just want to chime in and say i'm in the same boat. im nearing 9 months and i have so much anxiety and bad feelings and i feel like i'm eating too much and i hate my body more now than i ever did before. hoping this is just a phase. trying to focus on the positives.

Well, depression sux. No way around it. I wish I had a magic cure-all for you, but the best I can do is the following:

Yeah mines hit about the 90 days post surgery and its been on again off again ever since. The longest I've gone so far is about 9 months or so without feeling 100% down. It does get easier as time goes on, and I think this is where the whole exercising and focusing on the physical health pays off. It allows you to focus your mind and thoughts on the body and what you can and should be doing to make it better and to over all be better. It will take your mind off the foods that, you miss, your old habits of eating and coping, and when you start to see the results of the hard work, it will fuel your determination to continue. Even on the days where I feel like pure crap and don't wanna do it, I do it anyway cause that post work out high does make you feel a lot better.

I've been in a steady downward spiral for about a month. I've been way too busy at work, searching for a home, haven't lost an additional pound, am struggling with eating too much, and am just generally stressed.

I took a couple days off, and they were nice but here I am again.

I never had the post-surgical hormone explosion I've read about. I'm wondering if this is it. I am anxious and depressed and tired all the time. There are a number of things bothering me, but they're not new, and I don't know why they'd be a problem now and not any other time.

And one of those things is my body. Funny - I'm more unhappy about the extra flab around my middle now, at 163 pounds, than I was a year ago at 285. I feel fat.

And no, I don't have time to see a therapist. And yes, I'm on Wellbutrin and Xanax.

I feel for you I did have the emotional explosion and my monthly now is a more emotional experience then ever. I talked to my surgeons PA and she said your entire chemistry can change. That will impact how your body deals with stress and then may also impact how your body metabolizes the Wellbutrin and Xanax. Maybe a check with your doc who prescribes those to see if you need an adjustment?

Try to find someone to speak to as soon as possible. Does your surgery center offer post surgery group sessions? Most do.

Also are your labs okay? Sleeved 09/06/16 and I'm just recovering from a bad Iron deficiency. I had two infusions. Waiting for lab work to see if I need more. I felt horrible with low iron. Had no motivation to do anything, tired, cranky, fog brain.... now I feel so much better.

I hope you feel better soon. Hang in there.

This is a timely conversation. I'm around 7 months out and feel the same. Granted, I did have the hormone dump that just kept on dumping - I'm still recovering from the oh-so-fun hysterectomy that resulted from that - and am also on Wellbutrin.

I second the labs - I'm supposed to get some this week and will probably need a second round for hormones. I'm female, but have had severely low (like, non-existent) testosterone in the past. Cognitively I know my hormones being out of whack make everything worse, but emotionally it just seems so hard to deal with. Low testosterone makes everything seem impossible.

Stress/food cravings/anxiety are all things I associate with my cortisol, serotonin, and/or hormones being out of balance, though trying to figure out which is really hard. Seattle's "rainiest year on record" isn't helping me either - how's the weather where you are? Being active outside every day can help some and I've also had good luck with alternative medicine to try and manage my cortisol levels. You might need a little more or less of something - including the rx meds -or it might be time to try something different. That anxiety is a killer.

I know it doesn't help, but looking at your numbers objectively, you've done great. I was sleeved only a couple weeks after you and would love to be down another 50 lbs like you are. Feels impossible at the moment. But I was cleared to restart PT (for a bum ankle) last week and need to drag myself there today. Just keep swimming, I guess, and pray for some sun.

I hope you get the help you need.