Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight loss? Slow? In a Stall?

I decided to address some issues with the speed of my weight loss. Not because I'm disappointed or frustrated but to offer perspective and to garner your perspective to help those who are frustrated.

On May 6 it will be 3 months out for me. I'm certainly no subject matter expert. Daily I see a new post regarding the speed of weight loss. Usually it is regarding a stall. Heck, I think I even posted one.

We've heard and read every one hoping to get a different answer. But that new perspective never comes. So it appears that stalls are reality and normal. Slow weight loss is a reality and normal. Fast weight loss is a reality and normal.

I've learned that just because you're in a stall or your weight loss is slow doesn't mean nothing is happening to your body. I slipped right into a size 14 jean at the end of my last two week stall.

1. Help I'm in a stall? What do I do?

Look at your journal. Are you getting 60-100g of Protein a day? Are you staying within your carb limit? Are you drinking all your Water? Are you journaling? Be honest about staying on plan. And understand that even if you do everything right you will stall.

2. Why are others losing weight so much faster than me?

First refer to the answer number 1. If you answered yes to all those then you are probably like me. My husband swears I can live on air:-). My weight loss is slow and I have had many stalls in my short three months. In between stalls I'll lose 3-4 lbs then stall again. There are benefits to being slow losers. That lotion you put on twice a day to nourish and heal your skin actually has some time to work. Don't forget to dry brush your skin before climbing into the shower. My skin looks great and I'm nearly 50!

Did you expect the weight to just disappear and you're feeling disappointed?

By choosing the sleeve you chose one of the slowest of WLS suite of choices. Yep, weight loss can continue for up to 2 years after surgery. Most people who succeed get to goal sooner. In spite of that I feel like I've made the right choice. I feel great, I'm looking pretty great and there is no way I could have dropped 36 pounds in nearly three months any other way. Your frame of mind is important to determining your satisfaction with WLS. In other words,don't look at your daily weigh in as an emotional roller coaster where on loss days you're happy and in stall days you're bummed. You can't eat 800-1000 calories a day and not eventually lose weight. Don't worry, be happy.

You will have stalls. Now I've had more stall days than success days and am thankful for them. The misconception is that this is an easy fix to a problem of laziness or lack of self control. Every one who has done this will testify that this is a lie. This is not easier. It's damned hard to make the decision to surgically limit your body to 4-6 ounces of food at a time. Sometimes it sucks when you've made a rockstar meal and want more. Like that amazing, wild Alaska salmon I made last night that I'm also having for lunch today. Yum!

After all that work to get to a successful surgery date now is the time to Celebrate the successes and the stalls. They are our new reality. Why not make it your new normal.

Take care

Thanks for this.

Thank you for this post. I've never been in a darker place than I am now. Wednesday will be 4 weeks since my surgery. I've only lost 10 pounds. I've cried so much I have nothing left to cry. I can drink a quart in one sitting I can eat 2-3x the portion I'm "supposed" to. Depressed is an understatement.

How many calories or grams of Protein are you getting? What are you eating? Are you weighing your food? What food stage is recommended by your doc or NUT for this week? More info please?

Between 500-700 calls. Minimum of 60 G Protein (on a bad day). I could eat many more calories, but don't, as it defeats the purpose of surgery. I'm on stage 3B which is moist processed meats cottage cheese Greek yogurt and eggs, turkey chili. I weigh or measure all food.

500-700 calories is a little low. Try adding a snack or two. It is hard to get enough at first but as your tummy heals it will get easier. Keeping calories too low puts our bodies in starvation mode and it doesn't let go of any excess. For the first 6 weeks 60g of Protein was my goal. Now it's pretty easy to get so my new goal is 100g protein. That usually gets me to calorie goal as well but I really don't even worry about calories. Protein, pleasuring and journaling is my focus right now.

The weight will come off. Just keep plugging away at it.

Thank you for this. I'm 6 months post op and have stalled all along the way. It really puts things in perspective.