Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 11 days post sleeve and my pain was getting much better, I could even lay on my side with a pillow pressed against my stomach. Starting yesterday the area under the incision (not the incision itself, the muscles underneath) began to feel extremely painful, making it difficult to move. This feels like a step backwards. This pain takes my breath away. Is this normal or should I call my surgeon's office?

I am going through this exactly! It's a deep stinging pain under the indentation that literally takes my breathe away. From what I have read, it's normal - nerves repairing from being torn with the muscle and such. It's just awful. I was doing well until post op day 7 (I'm day 11 now) and have definitely felt like I went backwards in my recovery.

@randik

Call your Dr, after hours emergency number, that isn't normal. You should be close to pain free at this point.

I did call. Both of my surgeons say very normal but doesn't happen to everyone. What is normal for one doesn't mean it's normal for another.

I was talking to OP and OP should ask a Dr not the internet about pain.

I wasn't replying to you, I was simply telling OP that someone understood and was in same situation and that hopefully they would find some peace in knowing what my surgeons had told me. Obviously that doesn't negate them asking their own team. But you telling them them that was definitely not normal was misinformation.

Just wanted to follow up and share what my doctor said. They put a stitch inside and sometimes there can be some nerve entrapment as it heals, causing the pain I described. He prescribed heat, which I have been doing, and Flexeril, which I am about to try. I will report back as to the efficacy.

That's for letting me know, makes me feel better that we were told the same thing. I'm going to try my heating pad tonight.

I am 23 days post op. I too have had the same pain as described. The first two weeks it was excruciatingly painful. To the point it would make me cry. I still cannot bend at the waist,or lay on either side of my stomach without severe pain. It has got "slightly" better over the last 4 days but I am worried to return to work because it hurts to sit in a 90 degree position which I do all day at my job. I see my surgeon today to see what is going on.

I am 23 days post op. I too have had the same pain as described. The first two weeks it was excruciatingly painful. To the point it would make me cry. I still cannot bend at the waist,or lay on either side of my stomach without severe pain. It has got "slightly" better over the last 4 days but I am worried to return to work because it hurts to sit in a 90 degree position which I do all day at my job. I see my surgeon today to see what is going on.

Let us know what your doctor says. I have the same fear about returning to work, as I can barely sit at a table for 30 minutes, let alone a desk for 10 hours.

My Dr said he does not recommend me returning to work for another 10 days because the pain is to great. He told me in some cases the internal stitches that prevent the remaining stomach from coming through the muscle wall causes severe pain until fully healed. That keeps me out for a whole month. I am a little relieved because I do not think I could sit in my office chair all day.

Thanks for the info. I see my doctor next Thursday and if this pain is not better I will need to ask for more time off work. I am supposed to go back on 5/8.

I am 12 days post-surgery (VSG) and having the same problem. My pain had gone away enough that I no longer needed pain medication until about 3 days ago. I am having similar pain to what others have described - underneath incision, intense pain, can't lie on either side, etc. I feel certain that it is internal stitches acting up. My surgeon has refused to authorize more than 3 weeks off work for me, which would have me going back to work in 9 days. I am an RN at a hospital and have a very physically demanding job, 12 hour shifts. There is no "light duty" in nursing. I'm really worried about returning to work while still having so much pain.
I have my 2 week follow-up appointment next Tuesday. Any suggestions on how to best advocate for myself and make the dr understand why I don't feel like going back to work so soon is a good idea? I advocate for my patients daily, but seem to be having a problem advocating for myself. Of note - I'm not even expected back at work until 5/29, so it's not an issue of my boss denying me the time off or inconveniencing anyone at my job.
This is my first post, so thanks in advance for any responses.

On 5/6/2017 at 11:31 AM, kellian said:

I am 12 days post-surgery (VSG) and having the same problem. My pain had gone away enough that I no longer needed pain medication until about 3 days ago. I am having similar pain to what others have described - underneath incision, intense pain, can't lie on either side, etc. I feel certain that it is internal stitches acting up. My surgeon has refused to authorize more than 3 weeks off work for me, which would have me going back to work in 9 days. I am an RN at a hospital and have a very physically demanding job, 12 hour shifts. There is no "light duty" in nursing. I'm really worried about returning to work while still having so much pain.
I have my 2 week follow-up appointment next Tuesday. Any suggestions on how to best advocate for myself and make the dr understand why I don't feel like going back to work so soon is a good idea? I advocate for my patients daily, but seem to be having a problem advocating for myself. Of note - I'm not even expected back at work until 5/29, so it's not an issue of my boss denying me the time off or inconveniencing anyone at my job.
This is my first post, so thanks in advance for any responses.

Sorry that you're having so much pain and difficulty getting the doctor to approve sufficient time off. My surgeon has a range of 2-6 weeks off for surgery depending on the patients needs. I'll be out for 4 weeks total which is a relief since I feel like my energy is still really inconsistent.

I realize this is after your 2 week post op appointment by now. I hope that you made out alright. If the doctor didn't approve more time I would maybe suggest reaching out to a nurse who has worked with you pre-op if you have one. I've met with my NP more than the doctor and she's incredibly understanding and helpful (luckily so is my surgeon I just don't see him as much).

I'm surprised they don't want you out of work longer since lifting is a primary restriction after surgery and I know nurses need to lift a lot of the time. Good luck!