Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Riverside In Columbus??

Hi Judy,

No problem, I figured I was posting too late last night for a response. :-)

I am having my surgery on the 18th. Can you help walk me through that day? Did you have to pay anything at the hospital? What did you wear? What did you pack? How long were you there? What was it like? How were the nurses?

Now I'm really starting to get into the mode. I came home with my shopping bag of "food" for my pre-op diet and the ProtiDiet for afterwards... but I didn't think to ask most of these questions.

I'm glad to hear that things are going well for you. I'm really ready to get to the other side of this and move forward. I dread the pain and the actual surgery more than the changes to my diet.

Thanks for your help and letting me pick your brain! It's a real comfort!

No problem Heather. My surgery wasn't until 10:30, but I had to come from Mansfield so we left plenty early. I had lost about 12 pounds before the surgery so I just wore some slacks that had already gotten too big and a loose blouse.

My brother and sister in law took me there. Since we were early, there was sort of a long wait before they called me, but no big deal. They took me to a big long room where all the patients were waiting for surgery (different kinds)... they started the IV and of course put me in the lovely hospital gown. I put my clothes and insurance card/in a plastic bag and my sister in law held on to them for me during surgery.

Dr Myers and Mike came to see me before they took me to the operating room just to see if I had any questions. I teased them that I was going to have the best (flattest) liver they'd ever seen. :-) Then the gorgeous anesthesiologist introduced himself and told me what he was going to be doing. Shortly after that they wheeled me into the room. I remember about 2 minutes in there because Mr Gorgeous knocked me out right away.

I woke up ... whenever .. and felt fine. Very thirsty and dry mouth. They give you ice chips and they are wonderful. I had to spend the night because I lived out of town (and alone). I was worried more about nausea than anything and they made sure I had medicine to keep me from getting sick. I only took one pain pill .. about 3 a.m. when I was up walking the halls with the nurse. Next morning Dr Myers and Mike came in .. checked me out .. and signed the release papers.

Heather - this is my third surgery (gall bladder and hernia). I've never had a big problem with surgeries or pain afterwards, so I might not be typical. But the surgery wasn't painful at all to me. I felt fine afterwards. Of course the incisions are ouchy for a few days.. but otherwise... piece of cake.

You'll be fine ... I'm sure of it ! By Christmas morning you'll be feeling good and even though you won't be eating.. the ProtiDiet, etc isn't bad at all. If you have an aol address you and I could chat and email at topdownbug1@aol.com.

Good luck kiddo! You're on your way !!:clap2:

No problem Heather. My surgery wasn't until 10:30, but I had to come from Mansfield so we left plenty early. I had lost about 12 pounds before the surgery so I just wore some slacks that had already gotten too big and a loose blouse.

Hi Judi,

Thanks for the low down. I'm off to bed right now to kick this head ache, but I've added you to my AIM list. I'll send you a message so you know it's me and we'll talk soon. I have a zillion more questions. So glad you don't mind me asking them... just tell me to shut up if I start to bug you :-)

sleep well!

Heather - I would absolutely love to answer any questions you might have. I sure appreciated the information and support I got from other bandsters online before my surgery (still do need the support). Please feel free to send me an instant message any time.

Let me know when you might be online so we can arrange to chat.

Big snow here in Mansfield today .. it finally stopped and the roads are fine now :-)

Hi Heather! Actually Dr. Myers gave me 1 cc for now and after this he said he'll do them in increments of .5 cc each time, if needed. The procedure was painless and I'm happy with the amount of restriction I have now. It's sort of like 2 weeks after surgery was for me.

I forgot to ask about charges though.. sorry ... :phanvan

When is your fill?

Judy

How has the first fill been? You seem to have much restriction? Less Hunger?

Hunter - yes there is more restriction but I'm not really uncomfortable. My appetite is very easy to control. I get full easily and stay full for several hours. I actually am most surprised that I don't have any cravings anymore. Donuts, Potato chips... things like that which I used to crave all the time .. are just so-so now. I've had some of them but there's not that big satisfying feeling that there used to be.

I'm quite happy with how things are going. I'm not setting any records with my weight loss, but since my pre-op appointment I've lost almost 20 pounds. The best part is how much better I look, feel and its nice to have my clothes be really baggy now.

How are things going for you Hunter?

Sounds like you are doing great! It would really be nice to not have the cravings anymore..

I'm doing OK, have my last nut visit this Friday and I'm hope to be submitted to ins soon after, fingers crossed I'll be banded early January. Not looking forward to the month of liquids, but guess I got to get through it!

Hunter - Dr Myers is doing your surgery? Really the pre-op and 2 weeks of liquids are just a distant memory now. Looking back, it wasn't that bad.. especially after the surgery. The pre-op was tough, but the weight melted away a couple pounds a day because of the low carb part so that sort of made it worthwhile! :)

You'll be fine.. good luck to you!

Judy

Judi,

I've not seen you on AIM so I'm going to ask you here... can you walk me through the day of surgery? For instance, what to bring to the hospital, where to go when I get to the hospital and what happens after I get to the hospital.

I start my liquid diet tomorrow and I'm starting to get worried and ready to prepare for the big day.

Thanks in advance!

Hi, I am new and have not yet had surgery. I have also experienced what seems to be resistance to Lap Band here in Columbus. Riverside/Myers wants to do bypass as does Mt. Carmel group. Does anyone know if some of these "revised" lap bands have made a difference in the physician attitude toward lap band? Do you kow why they prefer bypass?

I can speak for the Mt. Carmel side - they have alot of experience with GB compared to LB but they can do either. You just have to go in there firm in your mind with them that you don't want your insides rearranged and you want adjustable, and reversible if it would ever come to that. My surgeon asked me if I wouldn't want GB because I'd lose much faster and with LB I'd have to work harder and maybe lose slower and I was firm that I was committed to LB and he said Great! I'll do your LB.

Like Special K said... I think the surgeons have more experience with GB and lean toward them because of that. I also think that they know how much work goes along with being successful with the band and that it's not as "easy" to lose weight with it.

However, I was banded by Dr. Myers and he's been wonderful and supportive and really seems to be excited by the results his banded patients have had. I've not seen any resistance to it, though I know that he does tend to evaluate each patient and advise in some cases that the band might not be the right choice.

Good luck to you in whatever you choose!

I was banded by Dr.Myers on 11/12 and so far have lost almost 60 pounds. I think initially they push GB because it has faster results and they want you to be happy. Once I decided on the LapBand they were very supportive.

I love everyone in the office and love the fact that they require you to use McConnell after surgery, I think incorporating the dietician information and excercise has made all the difference in my progress.

I had some complications after my surgery and Dr.Myers and Mike were great, I would recommend Fresh Start to anyone thinking of getting the band.

How are all you Riverside bandsters doing? Are any of you planning on attending the support group meeting on Tuesday? Special guest is a plastic surgeon that will be talking about plastic surgery following bariatric surgery.

I hope to see you there!