Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How hard has it been for everyone to change your eating habits pre-op? I'm so afraid of failing because we get lazy on some nights and no one wants to cook dinner. In turn I slip up and eat something that is a big no-no.

I'm pre-op as well and I know exactly what you mean. I worry about the same thing. But the more research I do about the sleeve and the molecular/chemical/hormonal (not sure which word to use) changes that happen once the surgery is done, the more comfortable I feel that it'll be easier to make better choices post op. I'm confident I'll be able to do it. And so will you[emoji4]

How hard has it been for everyone to change your eating habits pre-op? I'm so afraid of failing because we get lazy on some nights and no one wants to cook dinner. In turn I slip up and eat something that is a big no-no.

Make your meals in large quanities and freeze some up so when you dont want to cook you can pull out a healthy home cooked meal.

I'm trying bit by bit every day. It's been hard because I'm having nasty sugar withdrawal headaches. Plus, I have to change up my poor habits. I did well yesterday at my mom's house, but not so great today. Also, i've been cranky and I'm having trouble concentrating on my work.

My goal for right now is to cut out sugars and keep my carbs to under 150g/day so hopefully when it's time for me to start the preop liquid diet I won't be a total mess.

I'm pre-op. I do very well throughout the week. But when the weekend comes, it's out the door. I don't overly indulge in anything though. I don't have a sweet tooth either. I don't cook on weekends, so it's "eat whatever". I'm working on meal planning and prep as well. Like @Diana Prince mentioned, it'll be easier to stick to post op due to the body changes and restrictions. It's the head we'll have to battle, unless you want I risk losing your life with complications of not following orders.

I also struggled to eat right on the weekends preop.

I am about 3 months postop and I have found it is MUCH easier to stick to healthy eating postop. I still get cravings but I can squash them much more easily. Portion Control is much easier too. It's still a lot of hard work but I am finding it to be much easier postop.

2 hours ago, GrrlAnn said:

I am about 3 months postop and I have found it is MUCH easier to stick to healthy eating postop. I still get cravings but I can squash them much more easily. Portion Control is much easier too. It's still a lot of hard work but I am finding it to be much easier postop.

I'm so happy to hear that! How much weight have you lost?

I'm so happy to hear that! How much weight have you lost?

My BMI was 42 (which is on the lower side - the higher the BMI the more you are expected to lose).

I am down about 40 lbs and am THRILLED about it! [emoji3]

Thank you. I was hoping that would be the case.

5 hours ago, GrrlAnn said:

Always nice to know we're not alone and there's truly hope. Thank you for this. 😊

2 hours ago, GrrlAnn said:

My BMI was 42 (which is on the lower side - the higher the BMI the more you are expected to lose).

I am down about 40 lbs and am THRILLED about it! emoji3.png

My BMI is 43.6 and I'm 304lbs. Can't wait to drop the first 40-50lbs so I can start walking and moving around more.

My BMI is 43.6 and I'm 304lbs. Can't wait to drop the first 40-50lbs so I can start walking and moving around more.

It is wonderful!

In preparation for life after surgery, I started going to Bootcamp 4-5 days a week. I had to stop for 6 weeks to allow my body to heal. During that time I lost about 25 lbs. After i got back into the swing of going again, it has been SO much easier than preop. It's still very hard but losing 40 lbs has really helped my knees and made all of the body weight exercises and cardio much easier.

If I stay on this trajectory, I might crush my goal weight of 199... As an adult I've never been below 222... [emoji33]

1 hour ago, GrrlAnn said:

It is wonderful!

In preparation for life after surgery, I started going to Bootcamp 4-5 days a week. I had to stop for 6 weeks to allow my body to heal. During that time I lost about 25 lbs. After i got back into the swing of going again, it has been SO much easier than preop. It's still very hard but losing 40 lbs has really helped my knees and made all of the body weight exercises and cardio much easier.

If I stay on this trajectory, I might crush my goal weight of 199... As an adult I've never been below 222... emoji33.png

That's AWESOME!! I'm 5'10 and my goal is 175-180. SO I have about 125lbs to lose. I'm ready to get to trying!