Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone in Los Angeles

Hi All! I live in Woodland Hills (San Fernando Valley) and I work in Culver City area. I had my surgery 1 month and 3 days ago with Dr Feiz and Associates in Beverly Hills. Surgery went well! Lost 17 lbs in a month so far. Ask me any questions and I'd be happy to answer them! @LoveMatilda

5 minutes ago, sleevedshereen said:

Hi All! I live in Woodland Hills (San Fernando Valley) and I work in Culver City area. I had my surgery 1 month and 3 days ago with Dr Feiz and Associates in Beverly Hills. Surgery went well! Lost 17 lbs in a month so far. Ask me any questions and I'd be happy to answer them! @LoveMatilda

I know this is something I want to do, but I'm nervous about the long term weight gain I have heard about. Is there information to read up on? I eat pretty intuitively/healthy now after a lifetime of yoyo dieting, but I don't want to undergo major surgery just to keep yoyo'ing. Thoughts?

1 hour ago, LoveMatilda said:

Do you still do low carb only? Is this surgery's success contingent upon a life long diet?

No, I do not strictly follow a low carb diet, but I do strive to eat lower carb, healthy meals as much as possible and am always on the look out for new places in LA to try. Tomorrow I'll be two years out from having the VSG, and have been maintaining a weight that is well under my original goal for nearly a year now. For me, cultivating better eating habits has been critical to my success. Before the VSG I dieted frequently, being incredibly strict for a short amount of time, then eventually burning out and reverting to unhealthy eating patterns that lead to a regain. So instead of dieting, I've simply tried to be more mindful and careful about what I eat so that the way of eating is sustainable. During normal times I aim to have less than 100 carbs or so a day. I no longer track everything I eat, but I do read labels and make choices that are lower in carb. I just got back from three weeks in South Africa, during which time I did indulge far more - enjoying local specialities I'd never tried before in the US, but I still was fairly reasonable with my choices, having mainly healthy meals with a few splurges. I gained a tiny bit of weight then, but it will fall off once I get back into my routine.

1 hour ago, LoveMatilda said:

I know this is something I want to do, but I'm nervous about the long term weight gain I have heard about. Is there information to read up on? I eat pretty intuitively/healthy now after a lifetime of yoyo dieting, but I don't want to undergo major surgery just to keep yoyo'ing. Thoughts?

Honestly, I'm only one month out but from reading everyone's comments on the topic, people only regain when they start eating unhealthy and pushing their intake and grazing (snacking alll day long). Also, a lot of people prevented weight gain because they noticed they gained a few lbs and quickly put themselves in check. Those who have gained did not do that from what i'm reading.

15 hours ago, sleevedshereen said:

Honestly, I'm only one month out but from reading everyone's comments on the topic, people only regain when they start eating unhealthy and pushing their intake and grazing (snacking alll day long). Also, a lot of people prevented weight gain because they noticed they gained a few lbs and quickly put themselves in check. Those who have gained did not do that from what i'm reading.

I prefer eating smaller snack type meals more often than eating 3 larger meals a day. I find that it keeps the metabolism going and is in my opinion the better way to eat. Plus if you have 3 meals and divide the portions in half now you have 6 meals to eat a day, and you can add in a small snack. I dont like the REALLY FULL feeling I get when I eat a full portion of my set meal, I feel better eating half then the other half 2 to 3 hours later. I feel less of a chance of stretching out your stomach to eat larger portions this way.

@JerseyJules I do that too. I can never finish a meal even if it's small as hell lol. I usually eat half and then later go back to it.

I hate the super full feeling also...sometimes it makes my stomach cramp and hurt if I eat too fast or too much. Still learning how my new stomach works lol

4 minutes ago, sleevedshereen said:

@JerseyJules I do that too. I can never finish a meal even if it's small as hell lol. I usually eat half and then later go back to it.

I hate the super full feeling also...sometimes it makes my stomach cramp and hurt if I eat too fast or too much. Still learning how my new stomach works lol

Its all a learning cuve...You have to learn your body and what it likes and what it doesnt. I have had no problem with much of anything so far, I guess Im lucky. Actually Sangria makes me feel a little bad, but oh so good..

@JerseyJulesI haven't tried alcohol yet. When I was in San Diego last weekend I had a baby sip of a margarita but was too scared to really try it lol. Also deli meat...well turkey just makes me wanna gag as soon as I put it in my mouth...which sucks because it looks like a lot of people go to that for Snacks and protein...oh well! lol But most things I haven't had a problem with either.

Edited by sleevedshereen

13 minutes ago, sleevedshereen said:

@JerseyJulesI haven't tried alcohol yet. When I was in San Diego last weekend I had a baby sip of a margarita but was too scared to really try it lol. Also deli meat...well turkey just makes me wanna gag as soon as I put it in my mouth...which sucks because it looks like a lot of people go to that for Snacks and protein...oh well! lol But most things I haven't had a problem with either.

Stay away from the processed deli meats. They are loaded with sodium and preservatives that will make you retain Water. And take it slow with the alcohol at first, nothing to sweet and go slow cause your tolerance will be a fraction of what it once was.

I'm glad I can't even eat deli meats then! lol I'm just too scared to drink. I really didn't drink before the surgery anyways. But when it comes time to it, I'm scared I'll get drunk on half a glass of wine lol @JerseyJules

I had my surgery at Cedar Sinaid on June 16th I had a revision from VGB to RNY managed to keep off the weight for 18 years the last two years I got out of control and had major complications from the first surgery. I live in Simi Valley.

Aka_ET

HW-220
Pre-op 194.3
RNY
SD June 16th 2017
CW-172
GW-140
HT 5' 3"
[emoji120][emoji878][emoji1272]

"You may see me struggle but you will never see me quit"

@1n0nlyJoe how exciting! Where are you having your surgery done?

[mention=324415]1n0nlyJoe[/mention] how exciting! Where are you having your surgery done?

I'm having mine here in LA, at the Southern California Hospital in Culver City

Sent from my STV100-1 using BariatricPal mobile app

Oh ok. I work in Culver City area. I had mine at Marina Del Rey Hospital.

I remember once I got my date of surgery....I couldn't focus on anything else. The surgery was all I could think about I was so excited. lol @1n0nlyJoe