Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3.5+ Years & 128 Pounds Still Gone! Update...

Well.....Happy New Year? I can't believe I haven't posted since December! This is the first time I've posted here in 2017! I guess as time goes on, you just kind of adjust to the new "normal" and it because less "new" if that makes sense. That's probably why you don't see as many people 3+ years post op on the online forums. You just kind of settle into the new routine and you don't have to work at it as much to maintain.

Here are some recent pics. One is just me and the other two are with my daughter (I'm the one on the right in both). I also have lots of pictures before/after surgery and Tummy Tuck in my blog (themeiamnow.blogspot.com).

So...where am I now? I am 3 years and 7 months post op. I have lost and maintained the loss of 128 pounds. I am up about 15 pounds from my lowest post op weight. The story on that.....I became extremely anemic and wasn't able to really exercise or watch what I ate. I was just in survival mode. So, I gained about 20 pounds back. After getting well, I lost about 5-9 of that regain (depending on the day and time of the month) and I realized something. I definitely could get back to my lowest post op weight. But it would be through the religious carb and Protein counting that I did right after surgery. For me, with my eating disordered brain, that is a dangerous way to live. It's way to easy to let that take control and become too obsessive if you have a history of anorexia in your past.

So, through much therapy and taking control of my life situations I've realized something very important to my journey. I am enough just the way I am. I do not always have to struggle with my body and obsess over my weight. I eat mindfully and I generally watch my carb and protein intake, but I do not obsess over them. I've decided that I will stay right where I am. I have no desire to kill myself to maintain 120 pounds, when I can easily and comfortably maintain 135-140 without killing myself, eating somewhat "normally" and feeling good in my skin. So, I would say I've been in that range steadily for the past year and half with very little effort.

To anyone starting out on the journey, I would say that the biggest contributor to my success (and I can say with confidence now that it IS a success) was dealing with the emotional eating and dealing with the underlying reasons that I was binge eating. Once I took care of that, I had no more reason to abuse my body with food.

It was NOT easy. I had to be committed to make the difficult decisions to end the relationships that needed to end, to draw the boundaries that needed to be drawn, and to face some demons that were easier to just ignore. But I can honestly say, I'm entering a time in my life where I feel happier, freer, and healthier physically and emotionally than ever before!

thon.jpg

thon2.jpg

thon3.jpg

You look beautiful! Thank you for sharing your story!

Very inspiring and encouraging……thanks much for your post 😍

It looks and sounds like you are in a really great place. Thank you for sharing :)

Good for you. I'm 10 weeks PostO and I'm glad to see that you could maintain your weight m

You look wonderful, happy and healthy! Thank you for sharing. I'm only 8 weeks post op, and it is great to see your post that shows several years later your still maintaining and healthy. Hope to post a similar success story myself one day.

You look fantastic and your smile, says it all. Congrats to you for maintaining your healthy lifestyle and knowing what you need, to stay successful. You've obviously done the work mentally and physically. You're an inspiration!

You look wonderful, happy and healthy! Thank you for sharing. I'm only 8 weeks post op, and it is great to see your post that shows several years later your still maintaining and healthy. Hope to post a similar success story myself one day.

You're an inspiration to me. Thanks for taking the time to share. I hope to tell a similar success.

That is a very inspiring story... So glad to see the truth 3 yrs out. I am going on 6 months out on May 9th and I still have my good and bad days but have already made peace with myself that it is my work so my accomplishments and failures is all on me. I can say I would not have thought it would get easier everyday and it has. Thank you for your story and encouragement. :)

Very inspiring thank you for sharing and congratulations on the success!!