Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help?!! Does insurance cover the vitamins and protein shakes???

I have Cigna insurance. Can anyone tell me how to get the insurance to pay for my Protein Drinks and Vitamins? ?? TIA.

As a rule, no. There is a B-12 nasal spray that is covered by insurance and it comes with Multivitamins as a bonus, but it is not routinely prescribed. I think there are shakes that can be filed on insurance. But the question is, how far out from surgery are you? If you are several months out like I was, I got the preop list months in advance. I found out how many shakes I needed to drink pre and postop, worked out how many scoops each jar of Protein Shake had, and bought a jar or two a month in my normal grocery shopping leading to the surgery. I spread the cost over several months on a disability budget mind you.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

I am able to afford the Protein drinks and Vitamins. That is not my issue. I have heard several people that their nsurance covered it. With as much as I pay for my insurance every month, if they cover it, I want to have access to that coverage.

I'm pretty sure mine doesn't... However, your local welfare might. If you get public assistance at all (I get food stamps/SNAP) they do ask if you have out of pocket medical expenses not paid for by insurance. I'm thinking you can get some kind of reimbursement for it.
My care coordinator pointed that out to me yesterday. That could be something to look into?

Sent from my SM-G930V using BariatricPal mobile app

I had medicare and medicaid at the time, so not sure. There should be a patient rep in the surgeon's office who can help you with that.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

try www.insurenutrition.com for the shakes. You apply and theyll put it through your insurance to see if they will approve it. They have Premier Protein and Optisure. I get 4 cases a month of Premier Protein.

Sent from my SM-N920V using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi, You may want to do a search of this topic because I've seen other threads in which people report whether or not their insurance companies are covering shakes through www.insurenutrition.com. I can't remember if CIGNA was mentioned. I, myself, applied this week and am not sure I'll be approved. I have to call to give them more information. From their email response it looks like they can provide some sort of weight loss stimulant medication and a scar cream in addition to the Premier Protein shakes. Good luck!

During my nutrition appointment, I was given a brochure for a company called Nutrition Direct. They bill insurance and charge you $25/month for a month's supply of bariatric Vitamins which is delivered to your door. I looked at their site and will probably go with these guys (if I get approved for surgery), but I'm a little unhappy about the hard sell I feel I got. I told my nutritionist that I *might* be interested, but would look over the materials myself and let her know for sure at my next appointment. All of the sudden, I get daily calls from this company. I looked at their site and this seems like a good service, but I didn't agree to enrollment. Maybe that's an issue to take up with my NUT, I don't know.

www.nascobal.com

I have Cigna and they're covering my bariatric surgery 100% (total out of pocket $300 for 2 nights in hospital). I've been saving for this and will be using the money I did save for Protein and Vitamins. This surgery unfortunately requires a financial obligation as vitamins are a lifetime requirement (protein shakes may be, too)
As someone else mentioned welfare or other public assistance may help but part of why insurance covers surgery is to prevent potential future health issues (which equals $$$)....therefore I'm surprised insurance would supplement vitamins and Protein Shakes for life.
Best of luck to you, and hope you're able to find a solution to the supplements you will need

I don't think most of them do, but if you have a flexible savings account, you can usually buy Vitamins with it as long as there's a medical need for the vitamins (which there is for WLS patients). Your surgeon's office will probably have to fill out some kind of form listing the vitamins that are "medically necessary" (all of them should be...).

22 hours ago, cyninaz said:

I have Cigna and they're covering my bariatric surgery 100% (total out of pocket $300 for 2 nights in hospital). I've been saving for this and will be using the money I did save for Protein and Vitamins. This surgery unfortunately requires a financial obligation as Vitamins are a lifetime requirement (protein shakes may be, too)
As someone else mentioned welfare or other public assistance may help but part of why insurance covers surgery is to prevent potential future health issues (which equals $$$)....therefore I'm surprised insurance would supplement vitamins and Protein Shakes for life.
Best of luck to you, and hope you're able to find a solution to the supplements you will need

Wow that's great! I work for cigna and my cigna insurance isn't that good! Mine pays 85% with a 3250 deductible and 7500 out of pocket.

Wow that's great! I work for cigna and my cigna insurance isn't that good! Mine pays 85% with a 3250 deductible and 7500 out of pocket.

Yeah I did get lucky with that. I know the Vitamins and supplements will be a lifelong financial obligation..I'm glad you asked because there were some good suggestions here