Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 week preop diet cheating

Before starting, please do not shame me on this. I have my surgery scheduled for April 11th and have been "on" the 2 week preop diet... The only problem is that I can't seem to go more than a day and a half at a time without cheating. Anyone who has done the surgery.. If you cheated during the preop diet and/or didn't have one... How was the surgery and recovery time?

How would you describe your "cheating"?

I'm on my pre-op diet (surgery is 4/17) and I've not had trouble....yet. Then again, my surgeon has us eating real food (not my favorites) but not just liquid.

Before starting, please do not shame me on this. I have my surgery scheduled for April 11th and have been "on" the 2 week preop diet... The only problem is that I can't seem to go more than a day and a half at a time without cheating. Anyone who has done the surgery.. If you cheated during the preop diet and/or didn't have one... How was the surgery and recovery time?

I'm scheduled for the same day!!!

I'm concerned about this also. I have had a couple of meals that are not exactly on my plan. (Not on it at all ) I have also had trouble getting in all the Protein Shakes required and nervous that the Dr will somehow know the day of surgery and make it difficult for the surgeon. I have still lost weight which is good but pretty sure that I should have lost more than what I have. I keep trying to justify it but still feel guilty about it.

I'm scheduled for the same day!!!

I'm concerned about this also. I have had a couple of meals that are not exactly on my plan. (Not on it at all [emoji21]) I have also had trouble getting in all the Protein  shakes required and nervous that the Dr will somehow know the day of surgery and make it difficult for the surgeon. I have still lost weight which is good but pretty sure that I should have lost more than what I have. I keep trying to justify it but still feel guilty about it.

I feel sooo guilty as well... Im more scared that the surgeon will end up cutting me open because of it... I know that it's on me, but I know other surgeons only have a 2 day preop and some that don't have one at all.... I know that it's supposed to help me and him in making the procedure safer but at the same time, I don't know many people who don't have eating problems who could do that.....

I cheated but only with low carb food like an egg, a tablespoon of green Beans and a few bites of meat. Not that I'm encouraging you to cheat but everything went fine for me . I read somewhere that the object of the preop is to shrink your liver and low carb does that so I figured I was fine but again I never cheated with sugary foods oh yeah and of course I had [emoji477]️.

It sounds like you might not be ready for the surgery. I know before my surgery and pre op diet I had a bunch of "last suppers" where I had all the foods I wanted. After a few meals though I didn't want anything else because the surgery and becoming healthy was more important to me so I started my pre op diet early and lost 17 lbs. The surgery doesn't fix determination and self control that's still on you. If you can't get a grip on your self before maybe you should push your surgery back until you can.

Seminar 12/27/16: wt 304
Surgery 3/23: wt 287
2 week post: 267

I was just sleeved on 4/3/17. I did not have any cheats during my 2 week pre-0p diet. The main objective is to shrink your liver, were these sugery or high high carb cheats? One question my nurse asked me while we were completing my pre-surgery disinfection was about my bowel prep. She asked if it was watery or if I still had chunks. It was was watery but I wonder if I was still passing chunks would they have canceled my surgery?

The 2-weeks pre-op diet is hard. Luckily, I called my nutritionist after day 4 & she told me I'm allowed to have non-starchy vegetables & sugar free Jello since those are considered liquids too (check with your nutritionist first).

I don't know how your recommended plan is post-op, but I had to continue liquids-only diet for four weeks. So, that's 6 weeks altogether. I do believe the 2 weeks liquid pre op diet helped me prepare for what's to come for the liquids-only 4 weeks post op.

What I learned being 2 months post op now & reading the boards, is that the mind is more important after the sleeve. The sleeve is a tool. We have to control what's in our minds which are cravings, going off track, etc... I think you should talk to your nutritionist about this. She might suggest you to increase your Liquid Protein more or something else.

Height: 5'0"
Weight for WLS consultation: 216 lbs.
Surgery date: 2/13/17
Goal: -71 lbs for healthy BMI (about 145 lbs).
Current weight: 173 lbs
My profile picture is not me. It's my "FITspiration" body.

I am 3months post-op (bypass). I had no pre-op diet just suppose to eat around 1500 calories a day. I ate more probably, have had no problems with surgery or my post-op diet. I am down 85lbs since surgery and feel great!!

I had to lose 11 pounds before surgery so went low carb and it took three months . One week out now and no weight loss. So when should I start losing. I never cheated before surgery but had two shakes and one low carb meal which wasn't too hard

Ehhhh, it all depends on what your preop diet is for. My diet was to lose 7lbs so if I cheated - the only person I would end up cheating was myself. If it's to shrink your liver - just be careful!

If you have to have something, make it small amounts of fat free cottage cheese, chicken breast, low sodium v8, or the like. And keep it to when you are absolutely dying ;)

And do not cheat even a tiny bit for 72 hours before surgery.

I've cheated but now that I'm in the last few days I'm trying to do extra good. I told my nurse I'd been struggling and honestly they didn't seem to care too much and surgery is a go on Monday. Just try to stay lower carb if you can. FYI when I got banded I was perfect on my preop all liquid two week diet but struggled badly with the band. My brother was the exact opposite, blew is preop diet but lost great with the band, so it isn't necessarily a precursor to what is to come. Good luck! We are almost there:)