Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did you or your doctor determine your final goal weight? Doc and I haven't talked about that yet and I'm curious how people calculate it.

I suppose the 'goal weight' would probably be getting back to a normal BMI. I personally think it is bullshit though.

Your goal weight should be the weight at which you are healthy and where you can comfortably exercise, and are not constantly starving. Throwing out an arbitrary weight goal is just crap. Allowing a Dr. to tell you your weight goal is even worse. Keep that in mind as you progress through the process. You want to get to a healthy for you weight, not an arbitrary number.

I suppose the 'goal weight' would probably be getting back to a normal BMI. I personally think it is bullshit though.
Your goal weight should be the weight at which you are healthy and where you can comfortably exercise, and are not constantly starving. Throwing out an arbitrary weight goal is just crap. Allowing a Dr. to tell you your weight goal is even worse. Keep that in mind as you progress through the process. You want to get to a healthy for you weight, not an arbitrary number.

I totally get that. I will be perfectly happy as long as I can be moving around more without being in pain. I guess I just see others posting theirs and it's a pretty big range (I'm 5'6" so between 118 & 154). I honestly can't see myself going below 150-160, and even that I think is very unlikely.

Yep, I picked the upper limit of my normal BMI as a "goal", but I'm honestly not worried about it. As long as I'm living a healthy lifestyle, look decent, and feel good, I'll be happy wherever I stabilize.

6 hours ago, barefoot_gardener said:

How did you or your doctor determine your final goal weight? Doc and I haven't talked about that yet and I'm curious how people calculate it.

My Dr asked me what I weighed in HS. He said he felt I could get to that weight. Which is around the weight I am now. He never really set a goal though. My goals were health not really weight related. I wanted to end my diabetes and avoid high blood pressure.

My goal is to get my BMI to the top of normal or 30% body fat, I was at 34% body fat when last tested. My size goal was a 12, I'm an 8 now, I don't really want to be smaller than an 8 but 6 is in my future *sigh*

My doctor & I didn't discuss a goal weight. He focuses on BMI, so I looked it up myself according to my age, height, & weight. What I have on my signature is the upper range pounds of healthy for me. I'll see how I feel when I hit that goal, but I'm hoping to weigh lower than 143 lbs.

Height: 5'0"
Weight for WLS consultation: 216 lbs.
Surgery date: 2/13/17
Goal: -71 lbs for healthy BMI (about 145 lbs).
Current weight: 174.2 lbs
My profile picture is not me. It's my "FITspiration" body.

My doctor asked a few questions at my six month check up and decided that 160 would be a reasonable goal for me to aim for at my one year mark. So that will be a total of 139 pounds down if I can make it happen. He didn't want to choose my goal, but I figured he has a better idea of what expectations are reasonable.

I picked the last weight I felt good at. I can't even imagine what I would look like, if I got much lower than that.

Thank you for the responses!

I had gotten down to 170 a few years ago and I felt pretty good then. Other than that I haven't been under 170 for about 15 years and through that time I've had children. I think HS weight was around 140 but I was not healthy (eating disorders).

So I guess I'll probably just have to wait until a few months after surgery to decide on a final goal weight. I'm just getting excited I suppose and trying to visualize everything. As long as I can get around better and start getting my outside work done (garden, animals) I'll be happy. It would of course be nice to get off of BP meds as well and be smaller than hubby again!

My doctor said he would like me to be around 170-175 by 2-3 years out. My personal goal for myself was around 190 and then go from there. I would love to be a comfortable size 10/12

My doctor asked me what I wanted to get down to. I said 200. He said sounds good. That will still put me at overweight according to BMI standards but honestly that stuff is such bs. I'm 5'10 by the way

51 minutes ago, Dashofpixiedust8 said:

My doctor asked me what I wanted to get down to. I said 200. He said sounds good. That will still put me at overweight according to BMI standards but honestly that stuff is such bs. I'm 5'10 by the way

My doctor had asked me the same thing and originally I had said 200 and he gave me a hard time. "Oh is that all?" I'm also 5'10" and I think that would be a good weight for me. However now that I'm down to 228 I think I'm shooting for 190

My doctor had asked me the same thing and originally I had said 200 and he gave me a hard time. "Oh is that all?" I'm also 5'10" and I think that would be a good weight for me. However now that I'm down to 228 I think I'm shooting for 190

I'm glad my doctor didn't do that. He was more like..I think you can get there but you don't even have to get that low. I started at 540 pounds though so maybe that's why. I'm now at 301 at 10 months out and they said I have way exceeded their expectations. I have my one year appointment in May!

My nutritionist wants us to aim for 30% body fat, not a weight or BMI.

According to their calculations (body composition) that will put me at 186. I'm 5'7".

Apparently I've been right all along and my bones are made of concrete :rolleyes:

My nutritionist wants us to aim for 30% body fat, not a weight or BMI.
According to their calculations (body composition) that will put me at 186. I'm 5'7".
Apparently I've been right all along and my bones are made of concrete :rolleyes:

How do you determine body fat? I've always sworn I'm "big boned", but who knows. Maybe I can be small.