Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Giving Up

That should have read GALL bladder surgery.

AND that Dr. Mejias office (the office manager) told my friend that I did "not pay my bills".

Is there another surgeon within 100 miles of the one you are dealing with? If so start calling them now.

My insurance approved my procedure but not my surgeon...so I had to start with a different doctor. But that was a breeze, the new surgeon's office was able to push me quickly though the insurance approval process.

Good luck and come back here to tell us what you do...

I understand having to pay upfront. If he had told me that at the initial meeting... I could have saved. I was told a WEEK before my surgery that I would have to pay the part that insurance did not pay. He (Dr. Mejias) offered NO payment plan. I paid off gall bladder surgery that I had on July 25th by Oct. 4th because they said I would have to before having my lapband. A friend of mine was upset because I was so upset and the office manager at Dr. Mejias office told her that I did not pay my bills. Isn't that slander? I paid off my ball bladder surgery within two months of getting the statement. To that the office manager said, yes, but we had to call her.

ONE WEEK before surgery is not enough notice and I felt it was unfair. The only thing I knew to do was walk out. I had even had my preopt done. Dr Mejias (athens, Ga) said he would start telling patients that they had to pay this amount upfront at the initial seminar. I think I'll go to make sure he does... hand out flyers in front of the office.

I understand your frustration because when you want a band you want it now, not in a few months. But I think it was equally your responsibility to ask the payment terms as it was the office to tell you up front. I don't enter into any financial agreement without knowing up front when the money is due, etc. That just does not make good business sense.

As for the OM telling a friend that you don't pay your bills, that's a big mega no-no and quite unprofessional. The situation should not have been discussed with a friend unless you gave permission for that to happen.

Is it normal to tell the op they owe " the part insurance won't pay 7 days before the surgery or no surgery"? You would think they would give you this information in the "information seminar". Waiting until after EVERYthing is done and I mean EVERYTHING.... including pre-opt is unacceptable and about as close to a bullying tactic as I ever ever seen. Patty, you may not be thin but you are NOT bullied either. I'm not sure I'd want something like that doing ANYTHING to my body so maybe you are better off for it.

Since you know about all of Patty's post then you know she she had been in the "banding" process since March. Wanting the band after you have been through 7 months, approved for everything and told 7 days before your surgery that you'd have to pay the part insurance didn't pay is different from "wanting it now".

Do not, repeat, no not give up! Insurance companies make it difficult on purpose: They want you to give up. As far as your patient advocate, she's not much of an advocate if she doesn't return your calls. If necessary, get another surgeon. Or tell your surgeon that you will get another surgeon if the advocate doesn't call you back. I started with one group that gave lip service to advocacy. The nurse practitioner never returned my calls. When she finally did leave a message for me and I got her on the phone (after several attempts), she forgot why she called me! My insurance company turned me down. Turns out the bariatric group I was working with gave me wrong information about what my insurance company required. I went to anther surgeon. He had a support network, including a fabulous woman (Mary) who not only knew all about insurance, but acted as liaison with my carrier. I learned what I had to do. Mary put the clinical record together, submitted it to my carrier and I was approved. I lost a lot of time in the process but it was worth it. Moral: This surgery is a major money maker. There are plenty of eager, good bariatric surgeons out there. If you're not pleased with the services of the one you're seeing, go to another one. The hardest part is making the decision for surgery. Don't let a bunch of dopes prevent you from doing it. You deserve to do this.

yes, I could put it on a credit card but the issue is more about the prinicple of the thing rather than the money. I walked out because it was NOT fair. One week before surgery is not enough time to tell someone they have to pay the amount that insurance would not pay or no surgery. I felt bullied.

I went through the whole process only to be stopped by a bullying Doctor 7 days before surgery because he said pay now or no surgery. He should have told me 8 months ago that he would require "the part insurance" would not pay upfront. I walked out on surgery. If op patients let Dr.'s they'll continue to treat us badly.

Ilene62,

For me the hardest part was 7 days before my surgery, Dr. Mejias's office called with the little surprise that I would have to pay the part "that insurance didn't pay". I had been in the process for 8 months only to be told 7 days before surgery I would have to pay OR not have the surgery. My insurance approved but the Dr. wouldn't do it unless I paid. THE

I understand having to pay upfront. If he had told me that at the initial meeting... I could have saved. I was told a WEEK before my surgery that I would have to pay the part that insurance did not pay. He (Dr. Mejias) offered NO payment plan. I paid off gall bladder surgery that I had on July 25th by Oct. 4th because they said I would have to before having my lapband. A friend of mine was upset because I was so upset and the office manager at Dr. Mejias office told her that I did not pay my bills. Isn't that slander? I paid off my ball bladder surgery within two months of getting the statement. To that the office manager said, yes, but we had to call her.

ONE WEEK before surgery is not enough notice and I felt it was unfair. The only thing I knew to do was walk out. I had even had my preopt done. Dr Mejias (athens, Ga) said he would start telling patients that they had to pay this amount upfront at the initial seminar. I think I'll go to make sure he does... hand out flyers in front of the office.

I usually do not enter these forums but when I saw my doctor being slandered so badly by Pattychat I felt it was my duty to respond. He SAVED my life literally,both emotionally and physically. Dr. Mejias and his staff were very patient with me and spent alot of time with me When I would call because if I wasnt sure if what I was feeling was normal. They were alwayslike just come on in girl.I would of paid the whole thing up front if they had asked me. Its a shame that Pattychat doesnt think that a few hundred dollars that is HER RESPONSIBILITY isnt worth all the time and sacrifice that doctors put out for patients. Does Pattychat tell the plumber or the grocery store that she just doesnt want to pay for their services? Anyways I had a great experience with Dr.mejias ,his OM, and his staff and he is a great guy Thank you

I usually do not enter these forums but when I saw my doctor being slandered so badly by Pattychat I felt it was my duty to respond. He SAVED my life literally,both emotionally and physically. Dr. Mejias and his staff were very patient with me and spent alot of time with me When I would call because if I wasnt sure if what I was feeling was normal. They were alwayslike just come on in girl.I would of paid the whole thing up front if they had asked me. Its a shame that Pattychat doesnt think that a few hundred dollars that is HER RESPONSIBILITY isnt worth all the time and sacrifice that doctors put out for patients. Does Pattychat tell the plumber or the grocery store that she just doesnt want to pay for their services? Anyways I had a great experience with Dr.mejias ,his OM, and his staff and he is a great guy Thank you

Nobody find the repetitive posts on 10 threads more annoying than me but I have to ask you something. If you do not usually enter these forums, how did you find this thread in all the threads throughout the world of forums you do not typically enter?

You registered and posted today for the first time and amazingly, you were drawn to this thread and your first and only post is here. Wow... amazing how that works.

While I agree with you about the concept of paying the grocery store and plumber, I do find your registrations and motives suspect.

BTW, how did you know how much PattyChat owes the doc before surgery? I mean, you know it is few hundred dollars. Considering everyone's insurance is different, how did you know how much hers was? How did you know it wasn't $200? Or $3000?

I was drawn because he was my doctor and his name caught my eye.I dont know how much,she said the part that insurance wont pay ,i have a 90/10 ins policy,which usually leaves me 10s to 100s i owe,,its not rocket science. Some very nasty people on this site,Thats why i dont post,I wanted to say something nice about a physician that really cares for his patients. You can think what you want. good Luck and God Bless.

I was drawn because he was my doctor and his name caught my eye.I dont know how much,she said the part that insurance wont pay ,i have a 90/10 ins policy,which usually leaves me 10s to 100s i owe,,its not rocket science. Some very nasty people on this site,Thats why i dont post,I wanted to say something nice about a physician that really cares for his patients. You can think what you want. good Luck and God Bless.

You were drawn to a forum you don't enter because your doc's name caught your eye. Got'cha.

There are tons and tons of different insurance plans and you just assumed that on the 1 in a million chance, your plan and PC's plan are the same.

No, you are correct. This really isn't rocket science.

People here aren't nasty, not in the least. We are honest. See the difference?

If you owe thousands of dollars AFTER your insurance pays,,its time to look for a new plan GOTCHA. I am honest too but I dont try to hurt people there is a difference ,one you havnt figured out yet. Tootles

If you owe thousands of dollars AFTER your insurance pays,,its time to look for a new plan GOTCHA. I am honest too but I dont try to hurt people there is a difference ,one you havnt figured out yet. Tootles

I stand behind my posts to you.