Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What pre op diets have your surgeons pit you on?

I have read about so many different pre op diets like 1 week, 2 weeks, 1 month, liquid diets, low carb diets. What kind of diets were you put on pre op? Also do you know why you were put on this diet? Also leave stats, where your from and surgery date if you have one.

I followed a low carb/high protein/high healthy fat diet for the entirety of my six month insurance-required diet program. I lost 99 pounds (from 397 to 298) during that six months by the time of surgery. I have continued to follow that way of eating post-op, and I have lost an additional 83 pounds since my surgery in late September. I have about 35 pounds to go until goal.

My doctor had no weight loss expectations pre-op. I made this decision on my own and I am so glad that I did!

My surgeon has me on a two week clear liquid only pre-op diet. 4 Protein Shakes and 2 Protein shakes a day (required purchase from surgeon's office), along with 3 servings a day of either some type of clear broth, sugar free Jello and popsicles. Also, unlimited Water, Crystal Light, low/no cal sports drinks.

Everyone that comes through my surgeon's program is put on a two week liquid diet, regardless of type of surgery, BMI, etc.

My Dr office has a pre op diet you can purchase from them one or two weeks. The diet is to shrink you liver so it can be moved safely to get to your stomach. Being obese more than likely gives you fatty liver disease . Feburary sleever from Louisiana

Whew!

I don't know how you all did it! 2 wks pre op??? My surgeon has a 3 day liquids only... Any liquids.. Soda, juice, etc. I thought that was hard! 😕

Whew!
I don't know how you all did it! 2 wks pre op??? My surgeon has a 3 day liquids only... Any liquids.. Soda, juice, etc. I thought that was hard! [emoji53]

I'm on day 11 and it's not that bad. Days 1 and 2 were thee absolute worst for me. Once I created a schedule to keep me full off of what I was allowed to have, it's been a breeze, honestly.

I do miss chewing real food though! Lol [emoji4]

Just the semi-usual day before GI surgery Clear Liquids and a clean out in the evening (in case they have to go into the intestines for anything.) Other than than there was the insurance mandated six month speed bump to WLS that was just a non-specific physician supervised calorie controlled diet exercise program.

14 hours ago, CarmenVSG2017 said:

I have read about so many different pre op diets like 1 week, 2 weeks, 1 month, liquid diets, low carb diets. What kind of diets were you put on pre op? Also do you know why you were put on this diet? Also leave stats, where your from and surgery date if you have one.

Low carb/high protein/high fat two weeks before the surgery, the same diet I'll be on after surgery. But I actually started a month ago on my own.

I have been in a two week all liquid diet . One week I'm down 18.8 pounds crazy !! I don't know what next week will bring . Only had 3 to 4 Protein Shakes , Bone Broth cooked with onions ,mushrooms ,garlic then strained .and some sugar free Jello and popsicle now and then . The third and fourth day were the worst but feeling a bit better . It will be worth it no cheating it's a life change surgery April 5th !!!

1 hour ago, pmm919 said:

I have been in a two week all liquid diet . One week I'm down 18.8 pounds crazy !! I don't know what next week will bring . Only had 3 to 4 Protein shakes , bone broth cooked with onions ,mushrooms ,garlic then strained .and some sugar free Jello and popsicle now and then . The third and fourth day were the worst but feeling a bit better . It will be worth it no cheating it's a life change surgery April 5th !!!

You're doing Great!

Blessings on your surgery 😇

My pre-op diet is 2 weeks of mostly Protein Shakes, but I am allowed one small meal a day, so long as it's 300 calories or less and under 30g of carbs. I am also allowed unlimited greens, non-starchy veggies, and sugar/caffeine/dairy free drinks. I was told this diet was mostly to shrink my liver and make it easier to move out of the way, which I think is the main reason for any of the pre-WLS diets. I'm having my surgery on 4/4 at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.

Two weeks low carb diet (