Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question about surgery

Depends on your insurance from what I found. I was required to complete 6 months of Dr supervised weight control. After receiving that approval it took about 2 to 3 months.

Wow! That's a long time! I haven't even had my consult yet but I was hoping I could get it done like in May. lol

It totally just depends on your insurance. I had to do four months of medically supervised diet, a psych evaluation and nutrition classes.

Our programme is totally different in Scotland, 18 months of classes and if you lose 10lbs your automatically out. Surgery only available if you don't loose 10lbs in an added 8 week class.

Ten years after referral I'm being sleeved on 18th April.

Like others said, it depends on your insurance. For me, I had to do six months of doctor-supervised weight loss. My first appointment was in March 2016; my last was in early August 2016. I was cleared for surgery by my PCP in late August 2016, and my surgery was September 28, 2016. During that time, I also had to meet once with the nutritionist and have a psychological evaluation.

My whole process took about a month from start (1st Dr consult) to "finish" (my surgery is tomorrow March 20th)...

2 hours ago, gryffen said:

Ten years after referral I'm being sleeved on 18th April.

Wow!

My whole process took about a month from start (1st Dr consult) to "finish" (my surgery is tomorrow March 20th)...

Wow! Now that's what I'm talking about. I'm thinking about scheduling to have me hiatal hernia corrected initially and then I'm gonna
ask if I can have my surgery done at the same time. I'm gonna make it seem like I want my hernia fixed first and maybe that way I won't have to wait months to get the surgery. lol I'm hoping that'll work.

4 hours ago, lb2017 said:

Wow! Now that's what I'm talking about. I'm thinking about scheduling to have me hiatal hernia corrected initially and then I'm gonna
ask if I can have my surgery done at the same time. I'm gonna make it seem like I want my hernia fixed first and maybe that way I won't have to wait months to get the surgery. lol I'm hoping that'll work.

Sorry, but if you are going through insurance that likely will not work. Although hiatal hernia repair is often performed with WLS, you still need to complete your pre-op eval, along with whatever your insurance requires (if they even cover bariatric surgery). Some plans require 3-6months of diet supervision, some require none, some have other bizarre exclusions and requirements. You may luck out and have a plan that does not require months of nutrition counseling. That seems to be the most likely thing that prolongs the process.

I recommend calling your insurance and finding out what your benefits and requirements are. If it does turn out you need nutrition counseling, well, I've seen many people accept it and make the best of it. You're gonna need those skills post-op, so it's not a complete waste of time.

Source: I review bariatric surgeries for a major insurer.

Sorry, but if you are going through insurance that likely will not work. Although hiatal hernia repair is often performed with WLS, you still need to complete your pre-op eval, along with whatever your insurance requires (if they even cover bariatric surgery). Some plans require 3-6months of diet supervision, some require none, some have other bizarre exclusions and requirements. You may luck out and have a plan that does not require months of nutrition counseling. That seems to be the most likely thing that prolongs the process.
I recommend calling your insurance and finding out what your benefits and requirements are. If it does turn out you need nutrition counseling, well, I've seen many people accept it and make the best of it. You're gonna need those skills post-op, so it's not a complete waste of time.
Source: I review bariatric surgeries for a major insurer.

I know that I would still have to go through some form of pre-op. I'm just hoping that my hernia would speed up my process. Like you said I may or may not luck out, but If it does turn out that my process will take longer than expected then of course I have no choice but to accept it and make the best it. I'm just speaking on hopes[emoji4]

if your paying out of pocket yu can do it in a month but if your dealing with the Insurance company it can take years it took me 18 months