Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-Op Body Image Crying Session :(

Yesterday afternoon, I broke down crying after thoroughly going over my body from head to toe in my bathroom mirror. I've had this body my entire adult life. I wasn't overweight as a kid but that was so long ago. I don't remember what my body looked and felt like in high school. I've already lost quite a bit of weight and have loose skin but I don't look drastically different, I don't think. At that moment, though, it hit me: my body is going to look completely different. I'm never going to see this body again. And my new body and skin scare me. I started crying.

I didn't realize it, but I needed that cry. I know I'll probably cry again closer to surgery. Has anyone else had that body image "moment"? If you did, how did you get through it?

Wasn't an issue for me as I consider the surgery saved my life emotionally (depression, self hatred etc) and physically (no more sleep apnea, blood sugar now normal, cholesterol much better, no longer in pain physically ). In my case, I'm looking forward to meeting the person that's been buried under all the baggage for the last 11 yrs.

Thank you! Hopefully I'll get to that point. I suffer from anxiety and depression. although I'm not having a depression episode right now. It's more so anxiety than anything. I was pretty optimistic up until that moment. It eventually passed. I was just curious if anyone else had experienced it and if it's normal. I'm glad you didn't! :) I agree, the positives outweigh the few negatives. Despite my anxiety, I'm also a little bit curious to meet the new me.

Wasn't an issue for me as I consider the surgery saved my life emotionally (depression, self hatred etc) and physically (no more sleep apnea, blood sugar now normal, cholesterol much better, no longer in pain physically ). In my case, I'm looking forward to meeting the person that's been buried under all the baggage for the last 11 yrs.

Hi dear, expect mood swings, I understand it's very normal, although I wouldn't really call them mood swings, more like severe PMS. It's due to the hormone dump as the fat melts the hormones stored in the fat get dumped suddenly into your body and will affect you. I can go from a regular calm mood to rage or depression in seconds, after 6 months it's a lot better but I remember the first few months were pretty bad. Good luck and hang in there, it does get better.

4 minutes ago, linah said:

Hi dear, expect mood swings, I understand it's very normal, although I wouldn't really call them mood swings, more like severe PMS. It's due to the hormone dump as the fat melts the hormones stored in the fat get dumped suddenly into your body and will affect you. I can go from a regular calm mood to rage or depression in seconds, after 6 months it's a lot better but I remember the first few months were pretty bad. Good luck and hang in there, it does get better.

I've heard about this. I'm already a moody person so I'm not looking forward to it. Like you said, though, it's temporary and it gets better.

Since you are pre-op, I would recommend the following 3 steps:

1. Take a good before photograph of yourself, so that you have something to compare to after surgery. Many times we are blind to our obesity. We do not see ourselves. Therefore when the weight begins to drop off rather dramatically, we question if this is really happening. Photographs are a good visualization of our success. Many people carry a before and after photo with them, just to remind themselves of their success.
2. Walk 30 minutes each day, every day until surgery (or equivalent exercise). Walking helps the recovery process go smoothly and minimized the pain levels from surgery.
3. Wean yourself from caffeine and carbonated beverages now. After I gave up my 6 diet coke a day habit, I suffered from a week of severe withdrawal syndrome consisting of severe headaches and body aches. I was miserable. You don't want to combine the effects of caffeine withdrawal with the effects of surgery.

After surgery, I was pleased with my body image. It was horrible prior to surgery and improved significantly after surgery. This is a pre-op compared to 6 month post-op photo of myself.

Operation.jpg

I had several of those moments (more than I'd like to admit tbh) but I embraced them. I had my surgery on the first and as of Wednesday (my weigh in day) I am down 28 pounds. I can feel it in my clothing. And my face isn't as fat. It's amazing how a little weight gone forever can make a difference.

I would cry and then think of what I loved/liked about myself, even if they were small. Confidence starts with you, and if you're not at peace before surgery some find it unbelievable that they're not after.

Since you are pre-op, I would recommend the following 3 steps:
1. Take a good before photograph of yourself, so that you have something to compare to after surgery. Many times we are blind to our obesity. We do not see ourselves. Therefore when the weight begins to drop off rather dramatically, we question if this is really happening. Photographs are a good visualization of our success. Many people carry a before and after photo with them, just to remind themselves of their success.
2. Walk 30 minutes each day, every day until surgery (or equivalent exercise). Walking helps the recovery process go smoothly and minimized the pain levels from surgery.
3. Wean yourself from caffeine and carbonated beverages now. After I gave up my 6 diet coke a day habit, I suffered from a week of severe withdrawal syndrome consisting of severe headaches and body aches. I was miserable. You don't want to combine the effects of caffeine withdrawal with the effects of surgery.
After surgery, I was pleased with my body image. It was horrible prior to surgery and improved significantly after surgery. This is a pre-op compared to 6 month post-op photo of myself.
Operation.jpg

Thank you for your great advice! And you look great! [emoji3] I plan to take a before pic either today or tomorrow. I was thinking about posting it on my bathroom mirror as motivation. I need all I can to stay on track.

Walking for 30 minutes is a good idea. I'm thinking about getting a Fitbit. I already try to park farther away at stores and at work.

The coffee admittedly will be the hard part. I easily drink 2 cups a day to keep up with work and school. But Decaf it is. It'll be worth it in the end.

I had several of those moments (more than I'd like to admit tbh) but I embraced them. I had my surgery on the first and as of Wednesday (my weigh in day) I am down 28 pounds. I can feel it in my clothing. And my face isn't as fat. It's amazing how a little weight gone forever can make a difference.

I would cry and then think of what I loved/liked about myself, even if they were small. Confidence starts with you, and if you're not at peace before surgery some find it unbelievable that they're not after.

Congratulations! That's awesome! It sounds like you're recovering well. It's comforting to hear it's normal. It felt good to get it out and I'm sure it will happen again. Like you said, I'll continue to embrace it. I've started journaling and I'm trying to practice mindful meditation to help get me through this. One of the few good things about my anxiety is that I sometimes lose my appetite for a few days. I'm hoping it works to my advantage these next couple of weeks, especially the first few days of my pre-op diet (I start tomorrow). I'm excited to see how much weight I'll lose the first month.

Definitely do the photos! As I began to loose, I noticed some changes in the mirror especially in the face. As time went on, my size went down but my shape stayed the same. It wasn't until I compared my 3 month postop to my before pic that I could definitely see the difference. At 6 months now, I still have a similar shape but much smaller. I am addicted to taking new photos of myself and putting them next to old ones... so fun.

Sometimes when I am anxious or upset, I write to calm myself. Maybe write a letter to your new self about all of the positive things you look forward to. Also write about all of the issues you have being overweight. It may help putting it out there and also will help to read it when you go through the process. Good luck!

Yesterday afternoon, I broke down crying after thoroughly going over my body from head to toe in my bathroom mirror. I've had this body my entire adult life. I wasn't overweight as a kid but that was so long ago. I don't remember what my body looked and felt like in high school. I've already lost quite a bit of weight and have loose skin but I don't look drastically different, I don't think. At that moment, though, it hit me: my body is going to look completely different. I'm never going to see this body again. And my new body and skin scare me. I started crying.
I didn't realize it, but I needed that cry. I know I'll probably cry again closer to surgery. Has anyone else had that body image "moment"? If you did, how did you get through it?

I see this. Many times I get, well, feelings I cannot explain. I now see that this is FEAR. I need to, will, begin to write more addressing this issue. I journal food religiously, but need to write about my feelings.

Thanks to you all.

Definitely do the photos! As I began to loose, I noticed some changes in the mirror especially in the face. As time went on, my size went down but my shape stayed the same. It wasn't until I compared my 3 month postop to my before pic that I could definitely see the difference. At 6 months now, I still have a similar shape but much smaller. I am addicted to taking new photos of myself and putting them next to old ones... so fun.

Sometimes when I am anxious or upset, I write to calm myself. Maybe write a letter to your new self about all of the positive things you look forward to. Also write about all of the issues you have being overweight. It may help putting it out there and also will help to read it when you go through the process. Good luck!

I think I might do that: take monthly progress pics. I've started journaling again, so hopefully I'll be more consistent with it. I don't expect my shape to change much. I've always joked I'm shaped like a Cabbage patch Kid doll so now I'll be a smaller version.

Thanks everyone for the reassurance. I know it'll get better.

You might want to see if your doctor can put you on a low dose anti depressant. My doc suggested I go on one because it helps with the nerves and mood changes people my go thru with this type surgery. I have been on mine for about 2 weeks and feel a lot calmer and not as uptight.

You might want to see if your doctor can put you on a low dose anti depressant. My doc suggested I go on one because it helps with the nerves and mood changes people my go thru with this type surgery. I have been on mine for about 2 weeks and feel a lot calmer and not as uptight.

I've been thinking about that but didn't want to add any new medications so close to my surgery date. Now that you've mentioned it, I think I will look into it. Certainly can't hurt. [emoji4]

I totally can understand how you feel I'm down from 367 which was my highest ever weight to 283 and my body is changing its crazy but I miss my fullness (i had perfect tits smh bih full and high ) I got used to it I became comfortable in my skin part of me never thought i would lose the weigjt so i learned to myself at @ over 300 pounds now i have a body that's changing so fast I can't keep up I look at myself and wonder how I'll look by the time I hit my goal its scary despite all that I'm so greatful I was able to make such an amazing decision for my health and well being so even if I end up with no tits loose skin or lose all the curves I learned to love and got confidence in I will still consider this the best decision I ever made for myself ...