Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Depression or Apathetic feelings "only after surgery"?

Has anybody felt different after having surgery?

You were ok before and immediately after you didn't feel quite right?.. emotional numbness or apathy which is pretty much one of the symptoms of depression!!..

I felt different the day after my surgery and I couldn't put my finger on it at the time. But it felt odd. Not happy but not sad. Impossible to laugh but I know it's funny as where before I would be in histerics. I'm irritable and won't back down.

I know it's not due to having the vsg done but more so from the operation regardless of what it was for.

It's a horrible feeling that I should be happy my son is having a baby but I can't feel anything. I'm going to America in two weeks but I can't get happy!!..

I can't laugh it just comes out like a breath of air ( if that makes sense?)

I have posted about this here before but didn't get much of a response. My Dr isn't sure and nor is my surgeon and all I got was " oh I should pass!"

Ummm when???..

surely I can't be the only one that has this feeling.

And after the operation

Thanks

I too felt depressed after my surgery had so many mixed feelings going through my head couldn't sleep it felt as if i was losing it my doc had to contact my psychologist to find out if i was emotionally ready but after a few days out of the hospital and being around my family i was back to my normal self so I do suspect that other persons have been through this phase i do hope it passes for you soon.

I have noticed a disruption with my sleep. And, I should be using my CPAP machine for my sleep apnea and I'm not. I've got to take better care of myself. I tell myself this every day.

I've noticed a change in my feelings and I'm not sure what it is.. regret? mourning the old way of life? mourning food? I'm not sure what it is.. I just keep active, get my hydration in and hope that with time I'll feel a bit better about things.

I'm nearly 14 weeks post op and I was hoping to see some improvement but nothing.
I eat really well and exercise is going great and my sleep isn't too affected it's just the apathetic feelings.
I was fine before my surgery that's what I don't understand.
I have read how being under can affect some people and I have never had a general anaesthetic before so I hope this isn't permanent.
Thanks guys x

I can't speak to your personal reasons, but I can tell you I feel exactly the same way and am 100% convinced it is due to food addiction. Food was my best friend, now I am learning how to deal with my new relationship to food. I look at it as a transition period that will take some time to get over.

I've been under general anesthesia 5 times and have never had the apathetic feeling like I do now.

Also, just for your own peace of mind, if the issues you and I are facing never went away then nobody would ever recommend the surgery. It will get better my friend!!

I can't speak to your personal reasons, but I can tell you I feel exactly the same way and am 100% convinced it is due to food addiction. food was my best friend, now I am learning how to deal with my new relationship to food. I look at it as a transition period that will take some time to get over.
I've been under general anesthesia 5 times and have never had the apathetic feeling like I do now.
Also, just for your own peace of mind, if the issues you and I are facing never went away then nobody would ever recommend the surgery. It will get better my friend!!

Wow it makes a lot of sense. I'm so worried that it won't go away but I'm trying to stay positive.
Thank you for getting back to me and I hope you will be ok and all this will pass for both of us [emoji5]