Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie from Georgia

Hello, Buttercup. I am having my surgery at DeKalb Medical with Dr. Scott Steinberg. I looked into Emory but Medicare doesn't pay to have bariatric surgery there but does at DeKalb. Emory is in the process of getting approved by Medicare but I didn't want to wait til after the first of the year. I liked the seminars at DeKalb better than Emory and was really impressed with the surgeons at DeKalb. I am currently enrolled in the Optifast program at Emory though. I like their support system. I am doing the Optifast on my own - not a requirement by my insurance companies. I already got approval for surgery from all of the doctors and my primary and secondary insurances companies. I am just waiting for a date for surgery. I see the surgeon again on Friday and the date will be set up then. I have a vacation in November so I will be having surgery in December.

Guest ZenGarden

I live in Marietta and work in Atlanta. I originally surgery in Rome at Floyd Medical Center under the care of Dr. J. Ryland Scott at the Harbin Bariatric Clinic (LONG STORY). I have BCBS PPO and got approved within a week.

PS - after being banded for 7 months and very little restriction, I made the decision to transfer my bariatric care to Dr. Scott Steinberg at Dekalb Medical Center. I have heard wonderful things about Dr. Steinberg and am hoping I will be able to get great results under his care.

-Shannon

Guest ZenGarden

My BC/BS approval took less than a week to get.

Hi Ms. Shirley,

This is Shannon...(smile).

Hi sghatl!

I had my surgery in Albany, Ga at Palmyra Medical Center with Dr. Bagnato. He did a wonderful job. I was very pleased! Good luck and keep us posted!

Pamela

Banded 9-20-07

330/299/150:)

Hi klpdbl,

I am also in Albany and have just started the process with Dr bagnato. I am so glad you are happy with him. How long did it take from the time you started to finish all of your presurgery visits? I ask because I have a time frame that I am shootingfor but don't know if it is reasonable.. It looks like you weight loss is going great!

Hi klpdbl,

I am also in Albany and have just started the process with Dr bagnato. I am so glad you are happy with him. How long did it take from the time you started to finish all of your presurgery visits? I ask because I have a time frame that I am shootingfor but don't know if it is reasonable.. It looks like you weight loss is going great!

silly.gifJeannie

Hi Jeannie,

When I made the decision to use Dr. Bagnato, I went for my pre-op appt and scheduled my surgery about 3 weeks from that day. I could have had the surgery earlier but i was trying to schedule it when my husband had some time off so he could take care of our son while i recovered. I think he requires everyone to be on the Sugarbusters diet for at least 2 weeks to shrink the liver. Congratulations on making the decision to change your life! Please keep writing and let me know how things are going.

Pamela

Banded 9-20-07

330/299/150

Pamela

Thank you for the encouragement and I will keep writing to let you know my progress. Right now I am 273 lbs I just decided that i had to do somehing or else all the health problems that are cropping up are going to kill me. How is your recovery going? Are you all healed? Where did you have him put your port? I am sorry for all of the questions but I am just so excited i could pop. I have an appointment with Dr Bagnato monday, hopefully by then I will have calmed down and he will not think I am a nut....

Take care

jeannie

Hi Jeannie,

I'm sure he won't think you're a nut. I know exactly how you feel. I was so excited but so nervous at the same time. My recovery is going great! My incisions are healing nicely. He put my port on the left side of my chest above my breast. My bra strap covers it perfectly. I'm so excited for you. Let me know how your appt. goes on Monday.

Take care.

Pamela

Banded 9-20-07

weight.png

Hi everyone! My name is Pamela and I am 27 years old. Oddly enough, I was very thin through most of my teenage years, and very athletic. I played a lot of sports in high school. As I got closer to my senior year, I noticed that I was putting on a little weight. I didn't think much about it at the time. About a year after I graduated, I got married to my high school sweetheart. By that time I had gained over 50 lbs and was at about 200 lbs. I was very concerned about how fast the weight came on. I was also having some female problems too. I went to my doctor and he did several test on me to find out if anything was wrong and the results shocked me! He diagnosed me with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS). I had never heard of this before. He told me it was a hormonal disorder and one of the side effects was weight gain. He also told me that I would probably have trouble getting pregnant. My heart dropped when i heard this. I always thought when i was ready i would just be able to have a baby. It took 6 years before we were able to get pregnant and by the grace of God we now have a beautiful, healthy boy.

I've tried every diet there is, I think, and nothing ever worked for me. I was 330lbs at my heaviest. I have been blessed with the opportunity to get the band. I've been banded for about 10 days and i am doing great. I am sooo excited about the journey ahead. I lost 13 lbs on the pre-op diet and have lost 16 lbs since my surgery. I know i rambled but i just wanted to introduce myself and see if anyone else has PCOS that has been banded and can tell me about your experience. Thanks for listening!

Pamela

Banded 9-20-07

330/299/150

;)

I was just recently diagnosed with PCOS and am waiting for an approval with bcbs. I also have hypothyroid and had a total tyrodectomy in February.

Like you, I was very small 100lbs to be exaxt and all of a sudden, boom I am no longer shopping at 5 7 9 but lane Bryant,

I had my appointment with Dr Bagnato today and all my paperwork has been sent to the insurance company. I even went ahead and set up my surgery date 11/16/07. I was so excited that I forgot half of my questions for him, nut I will have another visit before my surgery so it is no big loss.

Hi Jeannie!

:clap2:Congratulations on setting your date! I hope everything works out 4 u. Please keep in touch and let me know how everything is going.

Pamela

Banded 9-20-07

weight.png

I used Dr. Bagnato as well!! He is great! My surgery was on Friday - there were three others that day as well. I met one lady who was getting it done that same day as well. The staff is great and the doc is great! I am very happy I did it!

LOVE PALMYRA SURGICAL folks - they are the BOMB diggity (as my son says to me - Mom, that is soooo old school - ewww)... LOL :eek:

Amy

It is so good to meet people that have used Dr Bagnato. He seem really good from what I have heard. I am waiting for my insurance to give my preapproval and then I can really get excited about the surgery. I know I qualify and it is just a formality but I want to know all bases are covered before I get excited. How do yall that used Dr B like the port being on your upper chest? I worry that may be irritating when I return to work, I am a mail carrier and do alot of pulling with my left arm. Have yall had any negative experience with itbeing there? Again it is so great to have people to ask these questions!! Thank yall so much!