Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How soon before you went back to work after surgery?

I am having surgery on Thursday, 10/11/07. I am anticipating going back to work on Tuesday (after my husband's surgery on Monday, 10/15). I work at a desk but have the flexibility to get up and move around, if needed. Is this a reasonable amount of time to give myself?

I will worry about work getting done if I take off longer so I really want to minimize the amount of time I am gone.

:)

I'm a floor nurse and I'm getting banded Oct. 5th. My doc says 2 weeks because there is no light duty for nurses on my floor. I have to lift people and do a lot of running around. thank goodness my manager just had bypass 2 months ago - she said take as long as I need. Beth

I am a kindergarten teacher. My surgery is the 11th and I will return to work on Monday the 15th. My doc said that will be just fine. He told me he had a patient go back to work the same day as surgery...that is just nuts to me, that patient must have been self-employed!

I had my surgery in Mexico on the 25th of Sept .. I am now 4 days post op and feeling better- -- I believe I probably could have gotten by at work if need be but am very happy for the extra days -- For me anything before 4 days would have been too much -

I'm having surgery on oct 3rd a wednesday and I plan on going back to work on friday-- I work in a call center so I only answer calls and I can stand or sit hopefully I wont be too bad.

I had my surgery on a Friday and I took Monday off and returned back to work on Tuesday. I could have gone back to work on Monday, but I took it off just in case. I think it will depend on what type of work you do. If you do any bending or lifting I think you will need more time.

<p>

I'm a floor nurse and I'm getting banded Oct. 5th. My doc says 2 weeks because there is no light duty for nurses on my floor. I have to lift people and do a lot of running around. thank goodness my manager just had bypass 2 months ago - she said take as long as I need. Beth
</p> <p>wow i myself will be getting banded on oct 5th at 1:15pm .i also work in a hospital ,but i do enviromental services. i plan on taking one in a half to two weeks off because there is no light duty. are youas nervous as i am i haven't been able to sleep. its driving me crazy i just found out i was approved from my insurance last thursday. this is all happening so soon. let me know how your feeling. good luck</p>

I do have a day job--and I took 2 weeks off. I return to work on 10/2, in fact. Kind of bites that I wasn't able to write during my recovery time after being banded. I was hoping to be "more alert" but man....I needed naps and "down time." An author friend of mine told me to consider it a "vacation" from one job and medical leave from the other.

Darr

I really think a lot of it depends upon your starting weight. I really needed 9 days to be back to regular activity. Day 6 was difficult for me as I had a horrible stomach flu and diahreah every 20 minutes. (that made my recovery longer). I found that prior to 9 days I was too uncomfortable to sit at my desk.

-Leena

Everyone is different and I had heard stories about people going back in to work the next day, well let me tell you, that was not the case with me!

I am only 29, and I have a generally high tolerance to pain (I have had surgery before and refused morphine & the pain killers and only took tylenol). So I was quite surprised when this surgery had me down for so long. (in my mind, I thought I would be back to yoga, running and step classes on day 3, but was surprised when I still couldn't get out of bed by myself by day 4).

I think that by day 6 I felt that I would be able to go back to work. I went back to work on day 7, but it was still hard for me, so I worked from home most of that first week back.

The most pain I had was around the port area bc they stitch it to the muscle, so I had to be really careful about getting up from sitting and sitting. I couldn't sleep in my own bed until about day 6 (slept in a recliner).

Good luck!!

I have to agree with Tulipstar. I was banded on Wednesday, Sept 26th. I usually have a high tolerence of pain. I am experiencing alot of pain at the port sight. I am off of work until Monday but I think I will try and see if I can work half days for the next two or three days.

I am 12 days post op, and am going back to work tomorrow (Monday).

I planned on going back after 1 week, but I am glad I gave myself a few extra days to feel like myself again. Each day you will feel better and better. It just felt right for me. ;)