Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating Crap And Still Losing - Utterly Lost And Confused....Game Changer!

Hello Hello!

It has been many months since I last posted here. The last time i posted was concerning me developing a problem with alcohol after the sleeve. Well, that problem has been resolved and I no longer abuse alcohol. I admit it was bad and I was drinking whisky literally as soon as I got up, sneaking it at work, and all through the night. I managed to wean myself off after not quite 2 months. I feel great and my liver feels great too. (Used to get pains in my abdomen after drinking but they are gone.)

So this is what I'm here for now.

For the past 6 months I've been eating crap. I used to be so good on my low-carb diet. Then I started to allow the carbs back in. I was eating everything that I knew I shouldn't. You name it, I ate it. Ice cream, Cookies, cakes, candy, Pasta, mashed potatoes, bread, rice, take-out, I ate it all. As a result I gained 6 lbs. I became horribly depressed and didn't even try to stop from eating this stuff. I simply chose not to weight myself anymore. These past two weeks were the worst. The other day my supper was 2 Hostess orange cupcakes and a pack of Hostess crumb mini donuts. My belief that I was gaining weight was so strong that I convinced myself I could no longer wear the new clothes I bought and was considering buying larger sizes of clothing. I felt so fat. Then one morning I decided to weight myself before showering. Not only did I lose those 6 lbs I gained but I lost an additional 4 lbs on top of that. I'm now at the smallest I've been post surgery and only 10 lbs shy of my goal weight. So should I go back to my low carb diet or should I continue eating crap?

Are you doing this to be healthy? To live longer? Then cut the crap.

If you're unwilling to do that, find professional help to figure out why you'd undergo surgery for no reason whatsoever.

18 minutes ago, Vinasu said:

Are you doing this to be healthy? To live longer? Then cut the crap.

If you're unwilling to do that, find professional help to figure out why you'd undergo surgery for no reason whatsoever.

For no reason whatsoever? Really? I think losing over 200 lbs is a heck of a good reason for the surgery. Perhaps I didn't phrase it correctly. I only need to lose 10 more lbs. So should I go back to low-carb or should I continue doing what I'm doing now as I'm still losing weight and even though I do eat junk, not junk all the time, but definitely not low carb anymore.

I would suggest you consider seeking professional help for dealing with some of your emotions behind all of this. Also, clearly eating crap isn't advisable as you need nutrition to properly fuel and nourish your body and that is leading you down a destructive path again. I've sought therapy to help with my emotions and it's the best thing I've done for myself in a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

1 hour ago, janedoe92 said:

Maybe your body needs the carbs, but the good ones. See if you can speak with a NUT

I know our brains want the carbs. I know on the low-carb/high-Protein diet I was slower in responding, slower waking up, and sometimes had had mental fog. I feel way better and more alert when I began eating carbs again. But I was a champion of the low-carb/protein first diet so this is a new area to me.

I know our brains want the carbs. I know on the low-carb/high-Protein diet I was slower in responding, slower waking up, and sometimes had had mental fog. I feel way better and more alert when I began eating carbs again. But I was a champion of the low-carb/protein first diet so this is a new area to me.

There's a user on here@travelher I believe and I remember reading how low carb did the same to her so she increased the carbs, but to good ones.

17 hours ago, Proud2BMe said:

So should I go back to my low carb diet or should I continue eating crap?

Carbs are not crap. Good lord...

Why not eat a sensible diet that includes all macronutrients within reasonable amounts?

4 hours ago, Proud2BMe said:

I know our brains want the carbs. I know on the low-carb/high-Protein diet I was slower in responding, slower waking up, and sometimes had had mental fog. I feel way better and more alert when I began eating carbs again.

Your body is telling you exactly what to do here. Listen to it.

I'd up the carbs a little at a time, if I were you. Do you know how many you were consuming before you fell off the wagon? I'd maybe up it 5-10 g, see what that does, up it again, etc until you find the sweet spot.

I can't do zero carbs. I don't even want to. I do limit carbs but without carbs, I can barely think. I need to think to function. I've gradually increased mine and I feel great.

I think you need to talk with your psych and nut. Everyone has suggested getting back too healthy eating, but you still seem to be looking for someone to tell you it's ok to eat the crap....I think you know the answer yourself, but are reluctant to hear or face it.

You took a major step with the surgery, lost a ton of weight, beat the drinking, you have the ability to stay healthy, so choose the healthier

How much loose skin do you have? If it is a lot, you actually may be at goal weight. Your sudden craving for simple carbs is your body's way of telling you it has started coming close to running out of reserves. *possibly*

The weight loss could be muscle losses if you aren't eating Protein as well.

Eat protein, green vegetables, and add starchy veggies. Potatoes and sweet potatoes, winter squash, Beans, lentils, etc.

Start with 50g of carbs, and increase by 5-10 grams a day. Doing this methodically should tell you where your sweet spot is. You might get up to 100g or 150g a day.

Watch your weight, appetite, energy levels, etc. Foggy head might mean you need more Vitamins too.

Good luck!

On 2/27/2017 at 6:21 PM, Berry78 said:

How much loose skin do you have? If it is a lot, you actually may be at goal weight. Your sudden craving for simple carbs is your body's way of telling you it has started coming close to running out of reserves. *possibly*

The weight loss could be muscle losses if you aren't eating Protein as well.

Eat Protein, green vegetables, and add starchy veggies. Potatoes and sweet potatoes, winter squash, Beans, lentils, etc.

Start with 50g of carbs, and increase by 5-10 grams a day. Doing this methodically should tell you where your sweet spot is. You might get up to 100g or 150g a day.

Watch your weight, appetite, energy levels, etc. Foggy head might mean you need more Vitamins too.

Good luck!

I picked 170 because that was the lowest I ever got to with just dieting. However, I've been told I could go as low as 160 if I wanted. I do have excess skin on my belly and thighs and I would love to remove it but am afraid of re-gain afterwards as most patients gain after skin surgery. Gaining 40 lbs after skin surgery is not unheard of. I tink I probably have no more 8 or 9 lbs of excess skin.

I think there is a healthy, reasonable medium between eating hostess cupcakes as a meal (no judgment from me on that one man, been there done that!) and never even looking at a carb again LOL. I think everyone in this thread is right that you would do well to see your dietician and your psych, too. you don't have to go this alone. this is for life and you need to find something you can live with, and pinballing between extremes won't serve you in the long run. I'm all for having some dark chocolate after dinner or sweet crepes for Breakfast once a month, but it sounds like the concept of moderation is giving you a hard time here. that's okay. it's not a moral failing, it just... is. you've gone through a major life change and you're trying to find your new equilibrium. you know you have a history of abusing alcohol, and it sounds like after depriving yourself, some part of you wants to move on to abusing food instead. even if you don't gain back all the weight you've lost, it doesn't mean that's healthy for you physically or mentally.

real talk? you may have lost some weight after overdoing it on the empty carbs... so far. but that doesn't mean empty carbs are the key to weight loss or health. don't take this as a sign that you have miraculously become one of those people who eats junk all day and still gets to maintain a normal BMI. the surgery does a lot of things, but I don't think it's quite THAT powerful LOL. although I imagine a lot of us wish it was. and even then... the scale is not the only measure of health. plenty of people with normal BMIs can be unhealthy if they're not adequately nourishing themselves.

you know being extreme low carb doesn't work for you. that's fine, it doesn't work for a LOT of people. this is where some sensible guidance from a professional dietician becomes of use, because they can help you re-introduce carbs into your diet in a reasonable way that satisfies and nourishes you, but doesn't go overboard in the complete opposite direction. you know?

The thing about our bodies is that is does not recognize a bad calorie from a good calorie, a calorie is a calorie, but it does recognize the nutrients in foods. We do need a small amount of carbs daily for energy and for our brains to function normally, but the carbs should come from whole wheats, oats, and grains. Now that's not to say that on OCCASION that we can't treat ourselves to a sugary desert, but over all we need to be eating healthy carbs. I learned a long time ago that it's actually good to have a cheat day every so often allowing yourself a few extra calories and carbs because by eating the same things over a period of time your body will get used to those things and you will not lose weight, but if you change your diet by adding those few extra calories and carbs you throw your body into shock so to speak and it boost your metabolism and you see weight loss, which could be the case with Proud2BMe. I believe the key to our journey is learning moderation. Yes we most definitely need to stick to a healthier way of eating, but at the same time if you have a small sugary snack every so often (not every day) it doesn't make you a failure nor is it going to put 200 lbs back on you. That day just increase your exercise to make up for the calories and carbs. We have to learn the balance necessary to be successful in this journey. Remember that it is for the rest of our lives and that every day is not going to be perfect, so just do the best that you can and strive to make the next day better than the last.