Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trouble choosing my procedure!!

Last week I had my consultation. When the surgeon walked in he told me he was surprised I was leaning towards RNY instead of VSG. He discussed both and said he would do either one, but it was up to me to choose. He didn't want to tell me what I should do, but he also said if he had just read my chart (5'6, 260, no major health issues) he would have said VSG was good option. I'm worried I won't lose enough of my weight if I get VSG. I'm worried that VSG won't be drastic enough to help me make changes. Worried that I'll have complications because RNY has more risks than VSG. During my 2nd C-section my OBGYN mentioned removing excess scar tissue from my 1st C-section, so now I'm worried that I'll develop adhesions from RNY that will cause complications. Help! Why did you choose your procedure and what has your recovery been like? I'm still leaning towards RNY, but absolutely scared!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I was the total opposite. I walked into my consultation with my heart set on having the sleeve. My surgeon asked me one thing: "do you have acid reflux?" My answer: "yes. Not much though" and that was followed by "well VSG could make it worse."

Along with that, and the amount of weight I'd like to lose, I pretty much walked out of there with my mind changed to the bypass

I walked in to my appointment thinking that I would get the sleeve. I walked out with a DS. The long term results are statistically better, and there is no dumping syndrome from sugar or carbs. It can (and has for me) cause dumping with excess fat. I also have to take Vitamins every day forever but that wasn't a huge drawback for me.

I had my heart set on the sleeve. My surgeon also stated that it was my decision but that he would recommend the bypass based on how much I weigh and the amount of weight I want to lose. After a lot and of thought, I decided to follow his recommendation.

I was the total opposite. I walked into my consultation with my heart set on having the sleeve. My surgeon asked me one thing: "do you have acid reflux?" My answer: "yes. Not much though" and that was followed by "well VSG could make it worse."

Along with that, and the amount of weight I'd like to lose, I pretty much walked out of there with my mind changed to the bypass

That was the exact dialog when I met with my surgeon. 2nd and last consult on 3/3. Wish me luck. Lol

34 minutes ago, carlychloe2 said:

That was the exact dialog when I met with my surgeon. 2nd and last consult on 3/3. Wish me luck. Lol

You've got this! Surgery day is tomorrow for me!

I had a similar experience. I went in wanting the sleeve and the doctor asked me to consider the RNY. I don't have any reflux.

I decided I still preferred the sleeve because I feel it is less invasive than the RNY. It is also slightly safer. I like that I still have my pyloric valve and that I don't have to worry as much about malabsorption issues. I was also thrilled that the sleeve is projected to get me to my lowest weight in my adult life! And since I am doing this only for health reasons I didn't care if I would lose an extra 10-15 lbs given all of the other factors I was weighing.

Finally, if one day I fall off the healthy wagon as I get older I have the option to do a DS in the future (which I honestly don't think I'll ever need).

2 hours ago, GrrlAnn said:

I had a similar experience. I went in wanting the sleeve and the doctor asked me to consider the RNY. I don't have any reflux.

I decided I still preferred the sleeve because I feel it is less invasive than the RNY. It is also slightly safer. I like that I still have my pyloric valve and that I don't have to worry as much about malabsorption issues. I was also thrilled that the sleeve is projected to get me to my lowest weight in my adult life! And since I am doing this only for health reasons I didn't care if I would lose an extra 10-15 lbs given all of the other factors I was weighing.

Finally, if one day I fall off the healthy wagon as I get older I have the option to do a DS in the future (which I honestly don't think I'll ever need).

where did you get your stats for it being slightly safer? I researched like crazy both surgeries, the good the bad and the ugly, and never read anything like that.

where did you get your stats for it being slightly safer? I researched like crazy both surgeries, the good the bad and the ugly, and never read anything like that.

In addition to what my doctor provided me, I found a few websites with information. They are both really low but the sleeve is looking to be lower but there isn't as much data either.

Here are a few examples:
https://asmbs.org/resources/studies-weigh-in-on-safety-and-effectiveness-of-newer-bariatric-and-metabolic-surgery-procedure

http://www.obesitycoverage.com/uncomplicating-gastric-sleeve-complications/

In addition to what my doctor provided me, I found a few websites with information. They are both really low but the sleeve is looking to be lower but there isn't as much data either.

Here are a few examples:
https://asmbs.org/resources/studies-weigh-in-on-safety-and-effectiveness-of-newer-bariatric-and-metabolic-surgery-procedure

Truth be told is they do not have any long term studies on the sleeve because they have not been doing it that long. The Gastric bypass, rny has been in existence since the 60's and is considered" the gold standard in wls procedures. I think wgat scares most of us is the rerouting of the intestines.

Here are a few examples:

I can see where you would think that but only the first article really touched on it.

I want to go with RNY. My logic is that if I get a sleeve and I don't lose enough I can't go back and get the bypass. If I lose too much from the bypass (I don't even know that is possible) I can modify my diet.

In terms of risk, although there is a difference, in the big picture the risks are about the same. My sister had the sleeve specifically to avoid dumping but for me, I see dumping as a plus as I have a horrible sweet tooth. Hopefully, it will motivate me to avoid those foods.

On 2/26/2017 at 0:27 AM, achappex3 said:

Same here! My surgeon said no way to VSG because I have GERD. He asked me if I wanted to live the rest of my life with horrific acid reflux, I said NO! He said RNY for YOU!

The sleeve can be converted to a bypass. It frequently happens for those that go on to develop gerd

My opinion... if you have acid reflux, go with the bypass. If not, go with the sleeve.

Thank you so much 4 this question...I've been asking the same thing myself. But for me I'm a incomplete quadriplegic

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk