Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trouble choosing my procedure!!

I was going to go with the sleeve but after speaking with my surgeon I am getting RNY. There were a couple of things I didnt know about the sleeve. Like with the sleeve they also have to cut the stomach away from other organs like the spleen. So there is an added risk they can puncture and have to remove other things. Also as far as staples go, even though the surgery for RNY is more involved the stitches/staples are only about the quarter of the amount that are used for the sleeve. So the sleeve has a much higher risk of leaking or other complications from the staple line.

I also wanted to be held accountable. I was leaning to the sleeve because I wanted to be able to eat with my kids from time to time. I wanted to enjoy the bad things with moderation. Then I took a step back and thought if I was already thinking like this before surgery I was setting myself up to fail. Because I have the insurance I do, there wont be a revision option for me. I HAVE to make this work the first time. So for me its go big or go home :D

Good luck to everyone!

Edited by surviving5

I was going to go with the sleeve but after speaking with my surgeon I am getting RNY. There were a couple of things I didnt know about the sleeve. Like with the sleeve they also have to cut the stomach away from other organs like the spleen. So there is an added risk they can puncture and have to remove other things. Also as far as staples go, even though the surgery for RNY is more involved the stitches/staples are only about the quarter of the amount that are used for the sleeve. So the sleeve has a much higher risk of leaking or other complications from the staple line.

I also wanted to be held accountable. I was leaning to the sleeve because I wanted to be able to eat with my kids from time to time. I wanted to enjoy the bad things with moderation. Then I took a step back and thought if I was already thinking like this before surgery I was setting myself up to fail. Because I have the insurance I do, there wont be a revision option for me. I HAVE to make this work the first time. So for me its go big or go home [emoji3]
Good luck to everyone!

That's exactly why I did RNY.

It really depends on your current health and how drastic you want to go. The RNY was always ~it for me because my parents had it and I saw how much they lost, how beneficial it was to their health, and how successful they were. It was never anything else for me. The sleeve was too little and the duo switch extremely drastic. I would do research on all to better understand and pick the one that has the majority of what you're looking for as well as considering the necessities needed for afterwards. You want the tool that's best fitted for you and your health needs. Good luck !

I just realized how incredibly late I am lol have you picked a procedure yet ?