Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Discussing Post-Op worries relayed to the patient by patient's parents

Hello All,

I have the date for my gastric bypass surgery on March 22, 2017. Still waiting though to hear from insurance, but that's why it was a good idea that the pre-approval documents were sent out in advance. Anyways, my parents are bugging me about the fact that they think I should go for the Gastric Sleeve instead of the Gastric Bypass. They tell me nothing new out of what I read, and I've read a lot.........a hell lot of material, kinda like reading War and Peace, but on Bariatric Surgery. I am fully aware of the complications from the Gastric Sleeve vs. the Gastric Bypass. However there is one reason I am interested in the Gastric Bypass OVER the Gastric Sleeve. A lot of doctors don't like to mention this that often, BUT, THERE IS A CONTINGENCY PLAN with Gastric Bypass. God forbid something goes wrong, it CAN be reversed completely. Yes, it is a very complex revision procedure, especially due to the Gastrointestinal Tract, but it CAN BE DONE! However the Gastric Sleeve cannot be reversed like the Gastric Bypass can. The only thing a bariatric revision doctor can do with the Gastric Sleeve is revise it to the Bypass or something else, but still the portion of the stomach that you lost from the sleeve is gone forever. At least with the Gastric Bypass, the portion of the stomach not used doesn't atrophy. And also, I really am opposed to the idea of 80% of an organ being completely removed from the body. However, if I had to, I would do the Sleeve.

Next, I would like to discuss some of the negative side effects from Gastric Bypass. I understand sometimes people vomit, like in any of the Bariatric Procedures, not just Bypass, BUT I cannot stand to hear that there are some people who vomit every single day. I completely understand as a post-op bariatric patient that vomiting is different from the average "Joe" who vomits because after Bariatric Surgery, there is no vomiting of the acid juices, which usually makes it painful in a normal person, and makes it harmful for that person's teeth. However, I hate to hear one person tell me that even if you follow the nutritional guidelines to a tee, you are still going to vomit everyday. THAT CAN'T BE NORMAL. In fact I find that aspect offensive. It's like asking then what the hell was the point of the surgery to begin with? Therefore, disregarding ALL food items that cause the dumping syndrome, I would like to think that I can, after month 3 or month 4, eventually eat fish, and chicken, and occasionally "once in a blue moon" red meat.< /font> But sometimes when I hear a person's disgusting problems with food, I'd like to think that there is some sort of NUTRIONAL RULE or EATING BEHAVIOR that he or she is not following.

Last but not least, before going into this Gastric Bypass procedure, I am currently 29 years old, 5 foot 7 inches, 364 pounds, and my only health issues going into this are Obstructive sleep Apnea, ADHD, and Major Depressive Disorder (IN FULL REMISSION), with a very healthy Hemoglobin A1C of 5.3. Please note, I have never ever been in the pre-diabetes stage with my Hemoglobin A1C. However, despite a full understanding of how much my parents love me, they are harassing me about my decision to go with the Bypass and would rather I go for the Sleeve. They are also doing this, because Post-Op Recovery-wise, they are my support system until I get better on my own. Both my parents work full time. My father is an insurance attorney and my mother is a pediatrician, and I completely understand that one of them is going to have to sign that Family Medical Leave Act form. Despite all that, I don't think they should be the ones to persuade me to change my mind over a procedure. That opinion should only come from my surgeon. Right? It's my body.

Thanks,

Gabriel

It is your body, your decision, working with your surgeon. You are an adult.

But, just a note. I had gastric bypass. As long as I follow the plan, I never vomit. I do know some people who do but they are more the exception than the rule. Frankly, even when I'm off plan, I rarely vomit. Everyone has their own journey but I just don't want you to think that everyone who has the surgery vomits regularly and that it is normal. It MAY be normal for some people but I think for most of us, it is not.

Best of luck on whatever you decide!

I am over 3 1/2 years post-op RNY gastric bypass surgery. Most people after the operation do not vomit routinely. That would normally be due to an abnormality such as a stricture or ulcer. And those adverse conditions can be treated. I do sometimes vomit because of dumping syndrome, but that is my fault.

I had diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, and severe acid reflux (Gerd) prior to surgery. All those conditions went into remission within a few weeks after surgery and have remained there ever since.

it is your body and sounds like you have done a ton of research so do what is best for you. that being said. I had an rny 13 years ago and almost never vomit. I do dump sometimes ( it is my own fault by eating too fast or eating too much or eating a few things I know I can not eat) however when I dump I don't vomit ( sometimes wish I could so it would pass faster lol) usually just nauseous and pain along with sweating. there are very few things I can not eat ( I wish there were more ) I have the hardest time with sweets and can only eat about 3 bites each time but that is ok as I get the taste with out the calories. some meats are hard for me such as beef ( stringy) or pork but still can eat them if they are moist and I chew them well. just don't very often as I now love chicken and fish. each of us is different and there is no way to tell what your pouch will tolerate and what it wont until you are at least 6 months out. by then you will be so happy with the weight loss you wont care that you cant eat everything. best of luck to you

I only vomit when I stray off the plan: eat too much, eat too quickly, don't chew enough, eat cake. Otherwise, I feel great. It was the best thing I've done in a very long time.

Sent from my SM-G925V using the BariatricPal App

not sure why your parents would have to take medical leave to care for you. I did not need anyone once I got out of the hospital and went back to work in 7 days. you wont need anyone to cook for you as you will be on liquids and I could take a shower on my own. except for being very tired and sleepy most of the time I did not have any problems. I could drive myself etc as mine was done lap and needed only the 6 small holes for the tubes. I would go to work and then come home and go to bed and rest. the tiredness lasted a few months but did not interfere with my taking care of myself just did not feel like doing a lot at nights or going places. would stop by the store on the way home if I need Protein shakes or broths etc.