Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I got the lapband in 2013 and had some mild success but due to other complications I ended up with all my Fluid removed about a year ago. In that year, I've put on some serious weight and am now sitting at 330. I am 28 and recently married so as my husband and I talk about our future and kids, I can't help but panic. Between my PCOS, current weight and only one ovary, I believe that I will have an extremely hard time getting pregnant, let alone being healthy enough to carry the child to the full 40 weeks without complications.

I have an appointment with a bariatric surgeon on Monday and they offer both the sleeve and bypass.

I am still very undecided about which surgery would be the best option for me. I am terrified that the sleeve won't produce the results that I need to shock me into a healthy lifestyle permanently. I'm also terrified of the dumping syndrome or malnutrition if I do the bypass. But also, from what I've read the dumping syndrome is a good thing? Which just kind of confuses me.

Moving forward, I know I don't have the option to fail or 'cheat' post-op with either of these surgeries because it's my future potential family on the line, my world is more than just me now so I can't be selfish or self-destructive with my eating.

So what I'd love is all the advice that everyone has to offer. Informative articles, experiences, thoughts and opinions are all welcomed here! Thank you in advance!

I have no experience with the sleeve but I know that a lot of people are successful. Frankly, either surgery requires discipline and hard work -- they are both tools to help your success. As far as dumping and malnutrition after bypass -- neither of these will be a problem if you follow the rules. I have, on very rare occasions, gotten sick after eating -- usually from eating too fast. I simply don't eat the things that I'm not supposed to! And my blood work has always been good. If you take your Vitamins, you will not suffer from malnutrition.

I wish you lots of luck on your journey. It is definitely a life changing decision but, in my opinion, completely worth it!

I suffered lots of angst over which surgery to go with. I sat down with my surgeon to go over the options. Basically, he told me that if someone has diabetes or serious difficulties bingeing on sweets, he recommends bypass. If they have a history of ulcers, he recommends sleeve. I didn't really fall into either category. We decided on sleeve because there wasn't really a reason to risk complications.

I am now eight days after surgery. I've found that I have to work on balance to maintain a feeling of fullness. I'm still on a liquid diet. If I don't make my drinks thick enough and get my 90 grams of Protein, I become ridiculously hungry. So far, I'm happy with the sleeve. but it's really too early to make a judgement. I've lost about 16 lbs in 8 days. I can let you know in a few months if I still feel the same.

Initially I wanted the Sleeve but my surgeon felt the Bypass was the better option for me. After reading up on both, I decided to go with the Bypass. I wanted to have only 1 surgery and was also concerned about getting Reflux with the sleeve. I'm 4 months out and very happy with my decision. I've not had any dumping episodes - I don't eat fried foods or things containing high sugar but I am able to have a Dark chocolate Hersey's kiss now and then. I'm able to eat most meats, cheese, nuts, multigrain crackers/bread, etc and don't feel deprived. Probably the only thing I miss is Pasta.

most RNY'ers don't dump (the number that gets thrown around a lot on internet forums is that 30% are dumpers, but I have no idea if there's any hardcore research behind that - but suffice it to say, not everyone dumps. I don't). Malnutrition is rare as long as you stay on top of your supplements.

Dumping syndrome is a tool. After you go thru it once you never want to go through it again. So you become very aware of the pre-triggers. There are various types of pre-triggers, such as sneezing, rapid accumulation of mucus, rapid changes in the way things taste, hiccups. These will appear just before dumping. After you hit a pre-trigger, if you eat one more bit, it can result in full blown dumping syndrome. The pre-triggers will be different for different people. But if you recognize the pre-trigger and act accordingly, you avoid dumping.

2 hours ago, alli.wakefield said:

I got the lapband in 2013 and had some mild success but due to other complications I ended up with all my Fluid removed about a year ago. In that year, I've put on some serious weight and am now sitting at 330. I am 28 and recently married so as my husband and I talk about our future and kids, I can't help but panic. Between my PCOS, current weight and only one ovary, I believe that I will have an extremely hard time getting pregnant, let alone being healthy enough to carry the child to the full 40 weeks without complications.

I have an appointment with a bariatric surgeon on Monday and they offer both the sleeve and bypass.

I am still very undecided about which surgery would be the best option for me. I am terrified that the sleeve won't produce the results that I need to shock me into a healthy lifestyle permanently. I'm also terrified of the dumping syndrome or malnutrition if I do the bypass. But also, from what I've read the dumping syndrome is a good thing? Which just kind of confuses me.

Moving forward, I know I don't have the option to fail or 'cheat' post-op with either of these surgeries because it's my future potential family on the line, my world is more than just me now so I can't be selfish or self-destructive with my eating.

So what I'd love is all the advice that everyone has to offer. Informative articles, experiences, thoughts and opinions are all welcomed here! Thank you in advance!

I revised to RNY. I had reflux with the band so it was a no brainer to go to RNY. I use Vitamin Patches and so far no issues with Vitamin levels. I am not concerned. Dumping is manageable if you are even someone who does get it. I get it if I eat (or drink my Protein shake) too fast (large gulps vs sips...so I don't eat too fast, then I don't get it. Pretty simple. I haven' t tested out sugar (other than a bite of my husband's dessert) and that was fine. If i sat down and ate a whole dessert would I dump? Maybe...probably...i'm not going to try to find out.

I did ask my Dr about dumping because that was a concern for me (still wanted to have avocado with sushi etc). he said none of that would be a problem. He described a patient who would eat a bowl of Pasta, wait 15 minutes and then eat another one etc as the type of behavior that would cause dumping.

3 hours ago, alli.wakefield said:

57 minutes ago, Travelher said:

I revised to RNY. I had reflux with the band so it was a no brainer to go to RNY. I use Vitamin Patches and so far no issues with Vitamin levels. I am not concerned. Dumping is manageable if you are even someone who does get it. I get it if I eat (or drink my Protein shake) too fast (large gulps vs sips...so I don't eat too fast, then I don't get it. Pretty simple. I haven' t tested out sugar (other than a bite of my husband's dessert) and that was fine. If i sat down and ate a whole dessert would I dump? Maybe...probably...i'm not going to try to find out.

I did ask my Dr about dumping because that was a concern for me (still wanted to have avocado with sushi etc). he said none of that would be a problem. He described a patient who would eat a bowl of Pasta, wait 15 minutes and then eat another one etc as the type of behavior that would cause dumping.

Hi, my account was deleted for some reason but here I go. I am 3 and 1/2 years out from my RNY. I was 57yo when I had my WLS. I went below my goal weight in 6 months. I gained 8#'s back so I have maintained my weight loss for 3 years. I felt like I should go BIG or go HOME!!! I thought to myself you have 1 shot at this. I didn't want to have any other WLS because I knew myself and realized that I had to take my one and only shot and get off of medications and lose my weight for the last time. Here are my STATS: HW 249 (this time. I was at 285 but managed to lose down to 249) SW 232 LW 117 CW 125 TO 129. I was on insulin before my surgery, 100 units 2 times a day. Plus Metformin 500 gr 2 times a day. I took 12 different pills but now I take 4. 1 for my thyroid and 3 for my high blood pressure. Plus my Vitamins. We must take our vitamins!! It is NOT an OPTION. The sad thing is, it doesn't how up in our blood work for a long time. I am OVER the MOON with my WLS choice. You and your Surgeon can make a decision together for which surgery will be the best. I have heard and seen some absolutely great results from the ones that have had the Sleeve done.