Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So Important: Please Drink Your Liquids

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to share something with you all that will hopefully be helpful to those who haven't had surgery yet, or to those who are post op and need to be encouraged to get all of their liquids in each day (64 ounces or more per day).

I made a post on here several days ago, I was concerned about dizzy spells that I was having. I wound up going to the doctor this past Thursday because of the dizziness. My blood pressure was fairly low (for me anyway)-- 96/70. I am 13 weeks post op and my blood pressure is usually up around 125/75.

I remember my surgeon and nutritionist stressing from the very beginning how important it was to get in your liquids everyday. So I had been making a point to do that, and since the very beginning, I had no trouble getting in about 76 ounces a day. However, within the last couple of weeks there were a few days I had unintentionally slacked off some. I was finding that food and drink were filling me up more than usual, and by 7 p.m. each night, I could literally not drink any more liquids.

So, after my doctor's appointment Thursday, things started going downhill. I went out grocery shopping Friday and when I got home, I was incredibly fatigued, I have never felt so rotten. It was like a ten ton truck had run me over. On top of that, I was dizzy, my blood pressure was low and I had a horrible headache. ALL of these problems continued through the weekend. I called my doctor's office this morning and they said to go to the ER. I just got home from the ER. They did an EKG, scan, bloodwork and gave me IV fluids. I found out that I have a urinary tract infection and that I was mildly dehydrated. Instructions are antibiotics for the infection and to drink more fluids.

I want to say that I only got "off program" with my liquids for a few days. You just can't do that. It is SO IMPORTANT to get your fluids! Luckily, my case was mild dehydration and a UTI, which is no fun. But others have become dehydrated to the point where it can cause even worse problems and it can land you in the hospital for days if you don't stay on top of it!

Sip, sip, sip! Don't forget to drink!

Edited by mylighthouse

Great post @@mylighthouse

I am glad you got it sorted :).

Kate

@@shortyp79 Glad to help... good luck with your surgery approval.

@@_Kate_ Thank you so much!

@mylighthouse thank you for sharing this, I'm pre-op and I am definitely reminded to focus on my Water intake. Many blessings on your journey hon!

@@Newme17 thank you and I wish you the best for your pre op phase and your surgery :)

Thank you for this. I've been having bad dizzy spells the last week.

This is a great, and very timely, post. I have been reading more and more posts lately where people admit that they aren't following their plan (both food- and water-wise). Hopefully they read this one!

I hope you continue to feel better!

Thank you for posting this. Glad you paid attention to your body and phoned the doctor.

Feel better real soon.

Thank you for the reminder and I'm 'so glad you are mostly OK!! I try to drink from morning to night. I'm gonna get something like this to keep better track. Right now I'm just drinking and guessing. Thank you for this!

https://www.amazon.com/Measuring-Tracker-Non-Toxic-Plastic-Product/dp/B01N4PEIB7/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1486503083&sr=8-9&keywords=water+bottles+that+track+intake

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to share something with you all that will hopefully be helpful to those who haven't had surgery yet, or to those who are post op and need to be encouraged to get all of their liquids in each day (64 ounces or more per day).

I made a post on here several days ago, I was concerned about dizzy spells that I was having. I wound up going to the doctor this past Thursday because of the dizziness. My blood pressure was fairly low (for me anyway)-- 96/70. I am 13 weeks post op and my blood pressure is usually up around 125/75.

I remember my surgeon and nutritionist stressing from the very beginning how important it was to get in your liquids everyday. So I had been making a point to do that, and since the very beginning, I had no trouble getting in about 76 ounces a day. However, within the last couple of weeks there were a few days I had unintentionally slacked off some. I was finding that food and drink were filling me up more than usual, and by 7 p.m. each night, I could literally not drink any more liquids.

So, after my doctor's appointment Thursday, things started going downhill. I went out grocery shopping Friday and when I got home, I was incredibly fatigued, I have never felt so rotten. It was like a ten ton truck had run me over. On top of that, I was dizzy, my blood pressure was low and I had a horrible headache. ALL of these problems continued through the weekend. I called my doctor's office this morning and they said to go to the ER. I just got home from the ER. They did an EKG, scan, bloodwork and gave me IV fluids. I found out that I have a urinary tract infection and that I was mildly dehydrated. Instructions are antibiotics for the infection and to drink more fluids.

I want to say that I only got "off program" with my liquids for a few days. You just can't do that. It is SO IMPORTANT to get your fluids! Luckily, my case was mild dehydration and a UTI, which is no fun. But others have become dehydrated to the point where it can cause even worse problems and it can land you in the hospital for days if you don't stay on top of it!

Sip, sip, sip! Don't forget to drink!

I agree with you. I'm one of those who likes to know the why's of things. I'm curious...Why does dehydration get so serious for us so quickly after bariatric surgery as opposed to before?

Sent from my Y538 using the BariatricPal App

Thanks for the advice... I'm finding it hard to get in enough liquids... Everything has a terrible taste to me, pre surgery I loved the taste of Water and diet Snapple, and crystal light! Now they all taste like quinine or rubbing alcohol!

The Dr. office says that's because I'm dehydrated!!

Well how do I get hydrated??? ?

I knew the importance and did so well at first especially when I was off recuperating. Sip, sip sip.

Everyone needs to be mindful once you feel back to normal and life kicks in. Busy with work, errands and family I found hours passed, I'd be out and about without even a bottle of Water.

My body felt it. So be warned....continue to stay on program with your water because it's so easy to forget!!

Sent from my SM-N910T using the BariatricPal App