Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Energy level after surgery?

I have surgery date of February 15th. I'm a busy mom of three girls, I work, and am doing prerequisites for the nursing program. I'm nervous about losing energy and motivation after surgery... so my question is how did everyone feel after surgery? How many days before you were running simple errands such as taking kids to school and dance? Thank you :)

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I was tired beyond anything I'd ever experienced. The combination of not eating and surgery is really difficult.

It may depend on what your diet plan is post-op.

For me, I had 7 days sugar-free Clear Liquids (no protein), then 7 days of SF full liquids, then on to pureed. It wasn't until pureed foods that my energy improved.

I felt very weak. My first time driving and doing errands was probably 12 days PO.

Even when I returned to school, over 3 weeks after surgery, I was so surprised at how tired I was when I got home!

You mentioned you're taking classes - it was VERY difficult for me to study, just be aware.

YMMV, though

Edited by White Sale

Very very low energy post op... think about it, your still have to carry your weight with 400calories. And don't forget the energy you need for the healing process.... Personally I had a bad complication post op and I was off work for 9 weeks. Without the complication, I think 5-6 weeks is reasonable to recover your energy. But it's all worthed

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Tired for weeks.. I was on liquids for 3 weeks post op.. It started to improve around then

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

My surgery was on 11/9/16 and at night I come home make dinner eat a few bites, sit down and I am out for the night. At 7:00 p.m. every night, this is crazy. Does anyone know how long it takes to get your energy back to stay up past 7?

My surgery was on 11/16/16 and I'm also exhausted and out for the night by 8pm it's crazy

Motivation is what got you started. Habit is what keeps you going.

Hey guys be gentle on yourself ! Don't forget we all do the same things as before (work, kids, family, housekeeping etc...) with less then 1000 calories a day and a heavy frame to carry ! PLus many of us are starting to exercise more.... it takes time

I'm a month out now and while I'm ok I get attacks of sheer exhaustion, often not long after I eat. I push through them but it's tough - sometimes it's entirely physical where I will lie down and collapse but not fall asleep, just not feel up to the task of holding my head up for another moment. It seems almost random sometimes when they will strike and it is making it very difficult for me to keep up with work:(

My surgery was on 1/23 with a 10 day pre liquid diet, 10 day full liquid post op, and moved to a pureed diet yesterday. I attempted to go back into the office 3 days after - granted i have a desk job so i don't have to do much. I stayed 2 hours went home exhausted. This 2nd week has been better, but i'm also working 5-6 days & of those 3 days are 12 hr shifts and i will tell you i'm beat. I do think if you are just running the kiddos here & there and are not doing much else, you will be ok. Just make sure you get all your fluids in, my RN told me to skip the Protein because i was getting dehydrated and the shakes were making me so full i couldn't drink the fluids.

Good Luck!

I'm almost 2 weeks post op, will be on Monday and im.not working at the moment...but my energy level is low...I think the more you start to heal and the more the pain goes away you start to feel the drag, and also I've lost 26 pounds since my preop diet so I think that ties into it as well

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

Major surgery so you will be tired. I went back to work day 6 but wish I'd taken more time. I work from home so it was easier for me. I never had much pain but I was tired the first three weeks. Make sure to keep up your Water, that will help.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App