Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have never had surgery. I know this is the decision I need to make for me but getting really scared about the pain. I have not broken a bone, never got a tattoo, only been hospitalized one night. Can anyone help me understand the pain the day surgery? My surgery date is 2/21.

Thanks

Sent from my LGLS991 using the BariatricPal App

Hello love!

First of, congratulations in taking the step to better your health and life. That is actually the hardest! So kuddos to you! Secondly, this forum will help you out tremendously with all the different types of inputs since everyone is so diverse. If you are having Gastric Bypass, laparoscopically you will have about 5-6 incisions. The most painful part of all was waking up after surgery. You will have gas pain, imagine a colic baby... how they squirm and feel so painful. This will last for a bit. I suggest you ask your surgeon if you can have Gas-X strips or if they can assist with that. I had to walk it out lol but the Gas-X comes very useful while at home until you do that first poop! Honestly speaking you will feel soooo much better after your first poop! Lol

Other than that, the first 3-4 weeks will be brand new to you and your body. I used to sleep on a recliner. It was comfy and I didn't feel as much pain while I slept. Hope this all helps! And again congratulations!

God bless you

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I don't think anyone can truly explain the pain from any surgery. I haven't had the gastric surgery yet, but have had other surgeries. I had my tonsils out as an adult... Very painful. Then I had my gallbladder removed... Seriously didn't feel like I had surgery. Then a disc in my neck replaced with an artificial one... That's my spine... Little to no pain! All I can suggest is to focus on the long term results. Take full advantage of the pain medicine, initially while in the hospital (just to calm your fear) then reevaluate a day or two later. Everyone will have a different experience, but focusing on the "what if" with pain will scare you away. You can do this!! It is only a tiny moment in your life, that will pass, and the long-term success will definitely be worth it. You can do this and try not to focus on pain. I hope that helps and good luck!!!

Sent from my 5054N using the BariatricPal App

Hello love!

First of, congratulations in taking the step to better your health and life. That is actually the hardest! So kuddos to you! Secondly, this forum will help you out tremendously with all the different types of inputs since everyone is so diverse. If you are having Gastric Bypass, laparoscopically you will have about 5-6 incisions. The most painful part of all was waking up after surgery. You will have gas pain, imagine a colic baby... how they squirm and feel so painful. This will last for a bit. I suggest you ask your surgeon if you can have Gas-X strips or if they can assist with that. I had to walk it out lol but the Gas-X comes very useful while at home until you do that first poop! Honestly speaking you will feel soooo much better after your first poop! Lol

Other than that, the first 3-4 weeks will be brand new to you and your body. I used to sleep on a recliner. It was comfy and I didn't feel as much pain while I slept. Hope this all helps! And again congratulations!

God bless you

Prepping does definitely help for those possible situations. Thank you... I'll definitely be stocking up on some Gas X!!

Sent from my 5054N using the BariatricPal App

I experienced very little pain after my RNY gastric bypass surgery. It was so little that I did not even take any pain meds after I left the operating room. Most of the pain was gas pain. Walking really helps to reduce the pain. Here are some suggestions.

1. Take a good before photograph of yourself, so that you have something to compare to after surgery. Many times we are blind to our obesity. We do not see ourselves. Therefore when the weight begins to drop off rather dramatically, we question if this is really happening. Photographs are a good visualization of our success. Many people carry a before and after photo with them, just to remind themselves of their success.

2. Walk 30 minutes each day, every day until surgery (or equivalent exercise). Walking helps the recovery process go smoothly and minimized the pain levels from surgery.
3. Wean yourself from caffeine and carbonated beverages now. After I gave up my 6 diet coke a day habit, I suffered from a week of severe withdrawal syndrome consisting of severe headaches and body aches. I was miserable. You don't want to combine the effects of caffeine withdrawal with the effects of surgery.

Like James, I experienced almost no pain after surgery - not even gas pains.

I had no pain at all. The " worst" was a slight discomfort, sort of like a sore muscle. That only lasted a day, though. I even went back to sleeping on my stomach the second day. No gas, no nausea. If it weren't for the five little incisions I would doubt I had surgery.

Everyone is different. Some with big stomachs, that gives room for the probes to move. In my case they had to make a 5 month pregnant belly, like my surgeon said, in order to move the probes for laparoscopic surgery. Also people have different pain tolerance. Just go in there with a positive mindset!

Everything was worth it!!!

The most pain was when I woke up in recovery but the drugs worked so I was good to go the rest of the day. The pain really wasn't that bad in comparison to the gas pressure. The hospital encourages you to walk after and so do! It really does help! Even if you don't feel like it...walk. You get gas...walk it off for relief. If you feel any pain don't hesitate to get pain meds they really help immediately. I have 6 small incisions and one you can't even see and another you can barely see. I'm putting scar removal oil on them and it's helping. Trust you will be fine and keep us posted please:) this is a great community of people!

​I had a little more pain than most. I had to have an open abdominal incision because my surgeon wasn't sure which form of bariatric surgery I would have to have until he got in and saw my ulcer locations (my surgery was because of gastric ulcers-had roux en Y) so yeah I ended up with a 5 inch incision on my upper abdomen. I had to stay in the hospital 5 days. I was up walking the first night post op. It really does help-the faster you're up and moving, the better. I was also a smoker-coughing was very painful. I no longer smoke! Pain is what a person says it is. It's different for everyone. Just don't let it go...stay on top of it. Good luck. You'll do great!!

I woke up from surgery with the worst chest pain. Thought I was dying. That on top of the abdominal pain. Chest pain eases up the next day still having a little. This abdominal pain is still throwing me for a loop and I have a high pain tolerance. Surgery 1-26-17.

Yes first I would like to wish you well on your decision. Like everyone else is telling you, everyone is different. Most all the people in my nutrition class, of course we all had surgery about the same time, but no one other than me had complications. Listen to what I'm saying. Just because my complications does not mean you will do the same. The dr. said what I'm going to tell you is normal but not everyone goes through this. I've always been anemic. (Low blood and iron). My levels were a little low at the time of surgery and I did not know they were already watching for this but I lost 3 units of blood so after my surgery I was really sick and it was hard for me to move without feeling sick at my stomach or dizzy. MyBP was reaching very high too. My levels took a drastic drop, I started throwing up blood then passing massive amounts of blood through my stool as well. Once I received a blood transfusion I was great. Loosing that much blood cut my oxygen supply off is why I was feeling so bad. Only reason I was passing that much blood is because I lost it and it had to go somewhere. It was very scary. It was nothing life threatening by no means. I'm not telling you this to scare you but if by chance it happens to you, don't freak out because it is a normal thing and like they said, this doesn't happen to everyone. I just wanted you to know because I didn't know that it was a possibility if anything like this. I'm sure you will do great. Be sure to follow orders and get your liquids in. Good luck to you.

I had the Gastric Bypass on August 10, 2017. Highest Weight Before surgery i weighed 357ibs. It was hard for me to get up off the couch. I would get winded. I wish I would have done this sooner! Day of surgery I weighed 300ibs. Jan.31, 2017 I weigh 198ibs. Follow the diet given to you. Push Water. Drink lots of Water. I walk every day...Sometimes I have hand held weights. I got a punching bag for Christmas and I love it. I have a bike in the living rm. I do yoga in the morning. I also use free weights. Monday and Wed nights I take my boys to swimming and I walk all over the school...using hand held weights. When all else falils I walk.

You've gotten some really great advice.

Just wanted to add that to remember to get your Vitamins. Keep reminding your self that the pain will pass. It will get easier to get in your fluids and your Protein. This can be a wonderful start!

Do you have a good support system?

So I had surgery on 2.21. Still glad I did it and found out I'm really not as big of a wuss as I thought. I go back tomorrow for my 2 week post op. I appreciate every one that provided their perspective. Now starts the battle. 2 week pre op I weighed 288 and today weigh 266, I realize I should be excited with the weight I have lost but I was hoping for more. I go back to work on Monday and not sure a person could even tell if I lost any weight.