Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who is doing everything RIGHT?

Well I got off my IV yesterday and made it home!! I swear, the only thing that kept me going while I was in the hospital was that I had read so many posts on here from posters who had really bad sleever's remorse for the first few days or even weeks, but after a few months or years they felt like it was the best decision they ever made.

Now that I can take tiny sips with no pain and medium sips with only a couple seconds of pain, I feel like I've finally turned the corner and I'm feeling good about this choice again!

I know I still have a long, tough road ahead, but it doesn't feel impossible like it did when I was hooked up to the IV and only able to drink 1 ounce of Water every 4 or 5 hours.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using the BariatricPal App

3rd day update: today I finally felt much better and I was able to drink 73 ounces of liquids, with 62.7 grams of Protein. I've also been doing tiny "laps" of the first floor. I'm still exhausted, even though I took several naps, so I'm heading to bed!

My doc said that most people will struggle to get their Protein and Water in for the first 8 weeks. The plan was to get as much of it in as you can and slowly reach goal (80-100g protein/day, 64+ oz H2O/day). When I saw him 2 weeks post op and told him I wasn't hitting my goals, I was disappointed in myself and thought I would get a talking-to from him. He just patted my leg and said I was doing great and that I'm still healing and will hit my numbers as long as I follow the program. He was right! lol!

But I still have to work on making my water goals. I can't gulp water anymore. I am MUCH better now, at 12 weeks I was able to take some big drinks but would still get queasy if I drank too much too fast. at 15 weeks I'm able to get 8 oz down in about 20 minutes without trying too hard or feeling bad.

It's a journey so "doing everything right" doesn't mean it will go perfectly. There will be some ups and downs, some back slides and some leaps forward. Our metabolism is a magical creature that sometimes eludes us. lol! It doesn't like the body losing so much of it's stockpiled energy and will slow down thinking we are dying of starvation. Then it will realize, nope, gotta dump some energy now! and bamn, 3 lbs gone overnight. lol! Or, that's how it will work for me sometimes. I have stalls every few weeks. I'll have a week where I don't lose anything or even go up a lb even though I'm doing everything right and increasing my water and exercise slowly every day. Just got to kind of throw up your hands, realize we are only in control of so much and keep on keeping on.

Thank you for posting this. When I saw my surgeon at 4 weeks I told her I was worried because I wasn't meeting my protein and calorie goals. I try, I really do, but I just can't manage to get in 60-80 grams of protein and 800-1000 calories in a day when I can only eat 2 oz every 2 hours. I'm doing everything "right" according to my plan. I weigh and measure my food, I eat 2 oz every two hours, I drink at least 64 oz of water a day. I'm cleared to start working out tomorrow (was unable to do the walking post op because of knee and ankle problems causing instability and pain, surgeon knew this) and I'll be doing weight training several times a week. So I'm doing everything I can but it's still not perfect.

3rd day update: today I finally felt much better and I was able to drink 73 ounces of liquids, with 62.7 grams of Protein. I've also been doing tiny "laps" of the first floor. I'm still exhausted, even though I took several naps, so I'm heading to bed!

Thanks for these updates! I still have 9 days til surgery and it helps ease my mind on the post surgical days. I know everyone responds differently, but believe if I have my mind in a more relaxed state, it will hopefully make it a little more bearable.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Day 4: I did a little bit of research online and I'm going to call my surgeon once the office is open to ask about getting a prescription for a good magnesium supplement, and maybe even some Flexeril (muscle relaxant) or Klonopin (anti-anxiety medication) to get my esophagus to relax a bit. If things keep going the way they are, I can hit my Protein and liquid goals, but only if I make drinking Protein Water & etc. my full-time job.

My other complaint is that I am so thirsty all of the time, even though I am constantly sipping throughout the day and every time I get up at night, too.

I wish this pain would go away so that I could take some decent, thirst-quenching swallows! I also worry that my body will go into starvation mode, since I've had so few calories the last 6 days. Yesterday was the most calories I've had in one day, and that was less than 350.

I think I'll also ask my surgeon of it would be OK to put half an avocado and half a banana, blended really smooth, into one of my Protein shakes today. I definitely don't want to do anything to hurt my sleeve or cause a leak, but I think my body must need some fat and some nutrients.

@@anonmom Definitely talk to your surgeon about all of that. I sincerely doubt he's going to go for the avocado and banana at only 4 days out. You will be okay. I think you are expecting too much from yourself too quickly. It's only been four days. I was still on Clear Liquids at 4 days and if I got 350 calories that was some sort of miracle. Drinking Water WILL be your full-time job for the first week or two. That's completely normal. It can feel overwhelming in the moment, but you WILL get through it.

This is a great forum. I received my surgery on the Jan. 25 in Mexico. Going that route, I of course don't have the post-op support I would have here in the US. I have done a lot of research though and still feel great about my decision of both surgery and Mexico. It's good to be connected to others gonna through the same things I am. Is been hard work meeting wager and Protein goals. I got to 54oz Water and 60g Protein yesterday and I feel proud of that. I Hope to do a little more today. I'm so happy and feel excited about this process. How many days post-op is everybody starting a walking regime.

Sent from my SM-G930V using the BariatricPal App

I walked the day I got home! I didn't set any land-speed records that day ;) but honestly, I felt better when I walked (darn gas pains).

I did everything "right" through my post-op food stages. I followed my post-op nutrition plan like it was my Bible. I did my 60 total minutes of "brisk walking" per day. I got my Water and Protein in. Hit 100 grams of Protein daily before I was even back on solid foods. As soon as I was cleared for more intense exercise, I started Couch to 5k and strength training. I met my goal weight right at my one year mark and have been maintaining for almost 16 months.

I definitely don't do everything "right" anymore, but I do it well enough to maintain! Once you are in maintenance, it's about making good choices like 80-90% of the time.

Did everything right from the beginning. Hit top end of my goal last January. Hit bottom end of it last April (1 year from surgery). I am well below that now. I was like JamieLogical. 3 weeks after surgery I was doing zumba, Water aerobics, body pump, and walking. Now, I run, do zumba, body pump, and yoga. Again, I agree with JamieLogical, it's about making wise choices 80 to 80% of the time.

I'm not sure that anyone is "perfect" and it hasn't been easy, but I'm almost 5 weeks out and 23 lbs down from surgery. I had a 2 week stall in there where I lost nothing. It broke and I'm down!! I get 60ish Gm Protein and 80oz of water/liquid daily. I workout 5-6 days per week for at least an hour. I'm just doing cardio right now, but stepping it up after my 6 wk appointment next week. I am almost down 100 lbs and was very successful with the band, but had a revision due to complications. Don't let imperfection break you and don't compare yourself to anyone. Do exactly what your dr says to do! You will be successful!

Banded 2010 weight:327

Sleeved 12/28/16 weight:253

CW: 230 GW: 155

Heather in Texas

I followed all my rules post op but still had trouble getting everything in. I think if you're recovery is smooth and there aren't any issues the BEST thing to do is use a timer to remind you to eat and drink. It helped me tremendously

The biggest mistake I see people make is comparing their journey to the next person's journey. We all have this tool but we are all on different journeys.

The app wasn't letting me post for a couple of days, but today is my 6th day post-op and I'm feeling better every day. Drinking is now less excruciating, as long as I walk or march while drinking. I've also learned to heat everything up to body temperature instead of driving at room temperature. That has helped a lot.

I'll be 3 months post-op in 1 week and luckily I've had zero issues with getting enough Water or Protein everyday.

You just need to do follow your doctor's advice and the plan they give you.

Also, I started walking pretty soon within a few days and about 3 weeks after surgery I was given the OK to swim so I started swimming for 30 minutes before work every day. You have to exercise! I don't like getting up extra early to do it, but I do it because you have to.

I've lost 108 pounds in 3 months and having the surgery was the best decision I've ever made.

I had a great day today! I got about 60 ounces of liquid in so far and I have a 16-ounce glass by my bedside that I'm going to sip on now. 97 grams of Protein, 440 kcals, 4 grams fat, 3 grams Fiber, 1 gram sugar, and 2 grams other carbs. Also walked around Target for 3 hours this afternoon, and did little 5-minute laps of the first floor of my house in the morning and the evening.

And I weighed myself at the pharmacy!! I seem to have lost 6 pounds in 6 days! Tomorrow is my one week post-op, so I'll get to ask the surgeon's opinion on things.