Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey everyone! Just curious what kind of pain meds are prescribed after surgery. I'm not a fan of heavy duty pain killers, and was wondering if managing the pain with ibuprofen/everyday pain pills would be appropriate. Obviously I'm going to do as my surgeon advises, but I just wanted to see what everyone on here thinks.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I was given 5mg Oxy's. I could take up to 12 per day (they gave me 5 days worth). I needed them longer, but got them from my regular doctor (since I had an appt scheduled with them anyway).

You can't take ibuprofen or any nsids, only Tylenol. I don't remember taking anything after I left the hospital. But if I did, it was for a short time. I went back to work after a week (including surgery day).

Sent from my LG-H830 using the BariatricPal App

I was given liquid Roxicodone. That stuff was strooong. I didn't need it for long at all, maybe 1 week. After that, just children's liquid Tylenol.

they sent me home with something - I think liquid Tylenol with codeine, but I had almost no pain so I never took any.

like another poster said, you can't take NSAIDs after surgery, so ibuprofen is out.

I was sent home with tylonal and oxycodone.

Sent from my Y538 using the BariatricPal App

Tylelenol with codeine. I'm just 4 days postop and find I need to take it every 4 hrs.

After I left the operating room I took no pain medicine. I didn't need to because the pain was not strong. I have a high pain tolerance level so I may not be typical of many people.

One of the important things for me was to walk, walk, walk. I began walking 30 minutes each day for the 6 months prior to surgery. I walked every 2 hours round the clock while I was in the hospital. Walking really helps to reduce the pain levels. Most of the pain that people experience in the hospital is gas pain.

I was given liquid Hycet. It is basically a mix of Vicodin and Tylenol. It tastes terrible, but it did give immediate and longer lasting relief when I needed is. I haven't needed it since 3 post op though.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I don't remember what I was on but it was a narcotic. All I can say is if you do have pain and are put on some kind of hydromorphone. TAKE Miralax too. I got all blocked up and it was excrutiiating. No fun! Tylenol is all I'm allowed. Walk, Walk, Walk. Sip on Water all day! Once I started doing this more often, the healing took off! I did have a lot of pain after my surgery though. That is why I took the pain med my surgeon gave me. :)

I had liquid hydrocodone 5mg/375mg (it's got Tylenol in it) and I alternated that with a shot of extra strength liquid adult Tylenol (500 mg). After I got home though, I really only needed the hydrocodone to sleep at night for about a week the rest I just stuck to regular doses of Tylenol every 4-6 hours. It all depends on how you tolerate pain. I will say though, stay on top of the pain don't try to wait and see if it will get worse bc it takes forever for the pain meds to kick in when you're feeling crappy.

I am 6 days out (but had a full three nights in the hospital due to nausea). In the hospital it was a mix of roxycet and Tylenol. The worst pain was indeed the early gas pain. I was sent home with Percocet. I mostly take it at bedtime and try to stick to Tylenol during the day. On some days there is enough pain that I take a second Percocet in the afternoon. (I am someone who has low pain tolerance although perhaps not the very lowest)

I was given hydromorphone in very tiny pills. It did make me sleepy but I was not impaired. I had RNY, plus a hernia repair and gall bladder removal. It was particularly painful to get up and down from a seated position and to get in and out of bed the first week. sleeping was very difficult the first two weeks as I can't sleep on my back and turning in bed was really painful so I took two nightly before going to bed. I pretty much stopped taking it after two weeks or so.

I was on Dilaudid in hospital that gave me Migraines when it wore off. I choose not to use it because of the migraines. Went home with Oxy but that produced the same effects. The pain wasn't that great.