Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone, london uk here, want to go to Dr Dillemans...

46, mum of two, tried everything, succeeded and then failed some more, fed up with carrying the equivalent of a sack or two of potatoes around with me everywhere I go. I lost 4 stone on lipotrim about 2 years ago and then put around 6 back on, it is so so disheartening. I have mustered up the willpower, put myself through major deprivation every few weeks, felt better almost immediately, no more backache after the first 3/4 stone, but then the seduction of food gets to me again and I can't withstand it. Then I go full throttle, gorging myself on everything I feel I lost, so silly but it is not in my control. When that phase ends, hunger sets in and I continue to eat, it is like a never ending cycle and I want to be cured. The lapband seems the last stop before full gastric bypass and I want to try. Course I am reticent of mushy food etc but hey it must be better than what I have been struggling with. When I wake up in the morning, a black cloud descends on me as I realise I am fat. I want an end to this. At the moment I cannot afford surgery but have just landed a job - after I pay my current debts if I am really thrifty I may be able to save £3000 within 6 months. I have heard Dr Dillemans in Brussel is v good and so far I think he is the most reasonable - anyone know how to cut out the middleman and get him directly? Thanks look forward to hearing from you.

Iv gone straight to him. I got my lapband in 2005, and now my doctor wants me to get it out, so my mother-in-law phoned him direct (she speaks flemish and i don't) and I got an appointment with him in June.

Why does your doctor want you to get it out?

46, mum of two, tried everything, succeeded and then failed some more, fed up with carrying the equivalent of a sack or two of potatoes around with me everywhere I go. I lost 4 stone on lipotrim about 2 years ago and then put around 6 back on, it is so so disheartening. I have mustered up the willpower, put myself through major deprivation every few weeks, felt better almost immediately, no more backache after the first 3/4 stone, but then the seduction of food gets to me again and I can't withstand it. Then I go full throttle, gorging myself on everything I feel I lost, so silly but it is not in my control. When that phase ends, hunger sets in and I continue to eat, it is like a never ending cycle and I want to be cured. The lapband seems the last stop before full gastric bypass and I want to try. Course I am reticent of mushy food etc but hey it must be better than what I have been struggling with. When I wake up in the morning, a black cloud descends on me as I realise I am fat. I want an end to this. At the moment I cannot afford surgery but have just landed a job - after I pay my current debts if I am really thrifty I may be able to save £3000 within 6 months. I have heard Dr Dillemans in Brussel is v good and so far I think he is the most reasonable - anyone know how to cut out the middleman and get him directly? Thanks look forward to hearing from you.

Hi Susan

I paid privately for my band, however if you don't have the money yet why not try for an NHS referral? I know lots of people who have had their banding (and lots more RNY) on the NHS. You don't say if you have any co-morbidities or what your BMI is but it is definately worth speaking to your gp while you save up.

If you do go for a band you will have to think seriously about your food addiction. A band is hard work and some people do struggle to lose weight as there is still the possiblility of binging on the wrong kind of foods so do lots of reading of various threads on this and other forums and make sure you are going to be able to work with a band. Its not easy at times and I know of people who have been disappointed that thy haven't lost weight.

I have lost 6 stone in 7 months and am delighted with mine but I have had a few ups and downs.

Good luck and I hope you get your surgery.

Sue

Because I throw up after every meal, my doctor said that I'm not getting the nutrients that I should be.

I had my surgery with Dr Dillemans on the 8th of May just gone.

I contacted him directly and was really happy with how I was treated and the surgery itself.

He has a personal assistant marc van de ryse who deals with all logistics of international patients. his email is almar@telenet.be

Goodluck!! :-)

Hi Susan, Why dont you aske your doctor to see if he will refer you for the band on the NHS, I have just had my band fitted on the NHS, It took about a 14months from start to finish but it is worth the wait. I had my band fitted on the 9th July 09 up to now its the best thing i have ever done, I have lost 20 pound already.

see your GP it worth the try

Gillian

Im 22, my bmi is 44, i been overweight since i was a child, i tired every diet you name it, herbal diet pills, my gp have gave me different types of diet pills, nothing seem to work with me. i was on liquid diet with lighterlife in 2005 and managed to loss 10kg in 3 weeks thats 22pounds which was amazing for me to loss that much. since then my weight started going up and down light a yow-yow.

In December 08, i have asked my Gp in london, what she thought of me having lapband, i told her i was going to middle east in Syria to get it done there because i can't offord to do it in private in UK.. She offered me to do it in NHS and reffered to the hosptial, i had my appointment to see the doctor in feb 09, since then i had to see the dietitian, and have my sleep study and finally see the psychologist.

The psychologist needs to get to the bottom of the reason why you over eat!!! and that you are in a stable mental condition to deal with life post operation. ( BE HONEST WITH THEM AND MAKE SURE YOU DONT MENTION THAT YOU HAD HARMED YOURSELF FOR NOT LOSSING WEIGHT IN THE PAST).

On the 08 of July 09, I was finally approved for the lapband. I sow my surgeon and he then gaved me my operation date on the 11 of august 09.

Im scared but at the same time im so happy to get though on NHS.

Tips, Most important part is to have a good history record on the Gp system, such as pain on the legs of been over weight, and get your gp to give you diet pills such as reductil, xencal, Acomplia, metformin and sends you to dietition. ( if your gp don't mention these diet pills to you, you mention it to your doctor). I asked for reductil and xencal and acomplia but at the end after not lossing much weight she recommended metformin. I didn't loss much and i got fid up with pills.

If you don't loss weight, she can refer you to get lapband without refusing. I dont have health problems such as diabetes or high blood pressure. but I do admit I have PCOS- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome , which is the main problem for not lossing weight.

I hope this information is helpful.

Goodluck with your journey.

:)

Manal Rajab