Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Advancing your diet- on your own

I think the concern over this kind of question is when someone new to all of this sees it and thinks they can advance their diet because someone else with the same surgery did.

I get that you are just curious and aren't wanting to do it yourself, but you aren't the only person seeing the responses. People with less knowledge than you will see the answers and may not know better. So encouraging people to share instances of them going against doctor's orders isn't such a good idea. Nor is discouraging people from saying why it's bad to do this or that they followed the rules. Those replies just gives a more complete answer for future sleevers who will stumble on your question.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

My answer to this is yes and no. I followed the post op diet to a t...I know it exists because you can die from not (someone on this thread knows someone who did die from not following it). I have a kid so not worth the risk IMO that I'll be the one that it kills. however, at the purée/soft phase I felt that I was ready to progress earlier than the plan to well chewed solids so I called my docs office discussed with them and got the ok to advance the solids stage a week or so early.

I can't edit the post, but congrats to everyone that followed their diet. I was asking those who did *not* follow the diet what happened.

Follow my

But your words here define the real issue. This isn't a diet. It is a prescription given by the doctor that provides your body nourishment at the same time that it gives your body time to heal from surgery. It is dangerous to ask people to comment on violating that prescription.

Making choices (good, not so good, or otherwise) pre-op is one thing; post-op is something completely different (that could be deadly).

Okay, so you came in my thread continuing the trend of not answering the question. To me, it is a diet. It's a way of eating for a certain period of time. My surgeon, nurses, everyone calls it that. Not orders. There is absolutely nothing wrong with asking people about their experience with not following the diet plan. I know what the risks are. They kind of tell you that before you head in for the surgery. We all know the risks. However, that does not mean everyone follows them.

Plenty of people who have had the surgery, knew the risks of not following the pre-op diet. Did that stop them from cheating? Absolutely not. Even though one of those risks was possibly death or not getting the surgery at all, temptation made itself known, and they still cheated. Now is it dangerous to ask them how their surgery went even though they cheated? Absolutely not. You're simply asking about their experience.

The decisions you make both pre & post op will determine the rate and level of success with the surgery. A decision from both sides of the surgery can also mean death, not just post op. So if you have anything pertaining to the question at hand such as an experience of your own, I'd love to hear! But don't come on here trying to diagnose issues from a simple question.

Follow my

I think frenchie1977 did answer your question...her aunt did and died. You will have others who didn't. Not a lottery I suggest anyone participate in.

Edited by Travelher

My answer to this is yes and no. I followed the post op diet to a t...I know it exists because you can die from not (someone on this thread knows someone who did die from not following it). I have a kid so not worth the risk IMO that I'll be the one that it kills. however, at the purée/soft phase I felt that I was ready to progress earlier than the plan to well chewed solids so I called my docs office discussed with them and got the ok to advance the solids stage a week or so early.

YES!! This is exactly what I'm going through!! I feel like I'm ready to progress into soft foods myself. I have less than a week left to go on the liquid diet so I didn't bother asking to be allowed to start the process of introducing soft foods. But yes. I am experiencing thee exact same thing. I wouldn't dare risk advancing without asking lol. I was scared to try any "free foods" on my pre op diet!! (We had a list of free foods to choose from. But I was scared of over indulging on them so I didn't eat them lol) I think you're the second person that has experienced that too!! Thank you so much for sharing!!

Follow my

YES!! This is exactly what I'm going through!! I feel like I'm ready to progress into soft foods myself. I have less than a week left to go on the liquid diet so I didn't bother asking to be allowed to start the process of introducing soft foods. But yes. I am experiencing thee exact same thing. I wouldn't dare risk advancing without asking lol. I was scared to try any "free foods" on my pre op diet!! (We had a list of free foods to choose from. But I was scared of over indulging on them so I didn't eat them lol) I think you're the second person that has experienced that too!! Thank you so much for sharing!!

Follow my

Everyone is dying to get off the liquids, I knew that was the most import phase for healing, so I would not have considered asking about advancing that. Glad you would ask first, my best advice for soft and purees when you do get there is measure measure measure. Not everyone is as anal about following plan as I am and that is where people get into trouble, also my tip is if you are allowed 1/2 cup and you are feeling full on 1/4 Stop!!! Early stages are not the time to test limits. Be mindful about what and how you eat. That is what worked for me. I have friends who vomited non stop as they started stages, so know you may have to drop back a stage and that is ok and normal too. In solids you'll find some things work, others don't. Sometimes they work day 1 and not on day two. Take things slowly and start with smaller portions than you think you need.

I advanced a couple of days early for all of my phases, but only by trying little bits at a time. I didn't just go straight from liquids to chicken salad, but I went to puréed cauliflower and yogurt and things like that before fully progressing. I found I tolerated things more easily when I made the transition slowly.

I'm currently in soft foods and pretty content. I just can't wait for salads!

Most of y'all have like two weeks post opt liquids I have 6 weeks of it yes that what he said 4weeks pre opt been hard but like most say your dr knows what you need to live lol I'm ready to move on it's been like two months with out real food but my mind is clear and I don't want junk food just hang in there

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Don't you feel great? I miss food big time, wasn't a junk eater....I want my usual salmon and lox, etc. I know when I eat too many carbs (happens around Thanksgiving every year) I feel like crap. Well, this year was worse as I thought I am not going to eat this or that after surgery. I can't even begin to tell you how it affects my joints. Pre-op started 12/27 and last time I ate chicken/veg was on 1/8, then liquids since. I feel so great, although I can't stop thinking about when I can get pureed foods which is next week. They let us start yogurt and similar on day 5 if we felt ready, I was but had Protein pudding instead, kefir and yogurt started night before. A yogurt never felt so satisfying, it took me an hour to have a 5.4 oz Triple Zero Oikos. :lol:

I followed my surgeons plan however a few times I went back to the stage before, as I felt I wasn't ready to progress. I went very slowly trying new foods for a couple of days to see how I coped with it, before trying anything else. In my own opinion I think waiting an extra few days isnt going to do you any harm, whereas eating before you are physically able to, might do.

Is it really worth the risk?

Best wishes with your decision.

Kate

I stayed on plan. I didn't want to risk damaging my new sleeve stomach and didn't want it to have to work harder because of what I had eaten - it had to work hard enough at healing itself that it wasn't worth the risk. I encountered complications 6 days post-op which didn't help the healing process either. I am what is called a compliant patient when it comes to my healthcare, as well as being an educated consumer :)

I feel like some of the people who advanced food stages too quickly wouldn't be around to share their experiences with you because they would either be dead or so unsuccessful with their WLS that they would be ashamed to post here.

I feel like some of the people who advanced food stages too quickly wouldn't be around to share their experiences with you because they would either be dead or so unsuccessful with their WLS that they would be ashamed to post here.

Yep...

I always went when I thought I was ready, you'll find out fast if you're not.

I progressed to puréed foods a week early. No issues.