Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

You know you are borderline BMI for insiranc paying when you hope to have sleep apnea. I was only 6 pounds over the limit for insurance to pay. At my 2nd surgeon appt yesterday I had lost 3. Normally Id be happy but I was wearing heavy clothes. I flat out asked my doc what would happen if I dropped below the 40 BMI and they said it could be a problem with insurance so maybe my sleep study will show something. Never thought I'd have a doctor want me to have sleep apnea. I have one more weigh in next month before they submit to insurance so hopefully I will stay where I am. I'm trying to start making healthy changes now but am scared to do too well.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I am in a similar boat. My BMI is also borderline. I completed all pre-op testing yesterday ad started my liver shrinking diet today... but I was warned that whereas normally they want people my height on 1100 calories a day for this diet, I have to do 1300 because otherwise my BMI may go too low for insurance to cover my surgery. I'm getting close... I have my final pre-op doctors visit on the 17th and surgery is scheduled for the 25th.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

To those who may be having a first automatic reaction to this post such as mine, which would be: really...many of us here has or are struggling so much to lose 1 lb and probably have to pay extra $$$ for high BMI, we are actually struggling with sleep apnea (isn't something to wish for), and then insists on taking off all of our clothes when being weighed...down to our earrings and socks. So no "I don't know" what borderline bmi feels like....that's probably my goal weight to be honest LOL. BUTTTT!!!!

With that said, ITS OK to feel whatever you are feeling. Your experiences are your own and they are VALID! And to anyone who is feeling what I felt when I read this post...take a breather...EVERYONE has their own reasons for wanting WLS. Getting real here: that's something I feel i have been dealing with. Not understanding why those who are "not that fat" in MY mind want to go through this traumatic, life altering event. When WLS is really my only option because it's life or death. But I keep telling myself and others who feel the same that, every one of us here is living and writing a page, a chapter, a whole book on our own life with every decision we make. We don't know the other events that's taking place in another persons life, the true reasons for someone to say yes this WLS thing is right for me. It's so easy to judge others. It could be due to the fact that as a "fat person", we have spent our "fat lives" in fear of being judged and have been judged, so at times like this it's easy for US to sit back and judge, especially when it's about something we think we know everything about! But we don't because every one of us here is unique. We could have the exact same stats. The same weight, height, race etc and we will still go through a different experience! SOOO. Embrace the change. Embrace your WLS buddies regardless of their highest weight, starting weight and current weight. We have to be there for each other regardless of stats. This surgery is a life long commitment and that's one thing we will have to share. The desire to keep going no matter what because we have to. We will have our anatomy changed and commitment and determination will be the only option for us to keep ourselves healthy :) so we CAN do this TOGETHER :)

TO THOSE STRUGGLING WITH BORDERLINE BMI:

My recommendation for you: have you tried an app that tracks your weight and calories? You can still eat clean and it will let you know how much you can eat to MAINTAIN your current weight. The MY FITNESS PAL app is great for that. You can log that you want to maintain for now and it will help you do that :)

BEST OF LUCK

I'm sorry, but you know zero about me or my situation. While I appreciate the way you politely rebuked me, there is sooooo much judgement on these boards. I'm not borderline fat or unhealthy. I'm borderline the weight my insurance requires to pay for it without a pre existing condition. It's weird. I get shunned from thin people for being overweight. But apparently for others I'm not big enough. I find it hilarious you asked me if I ever tried counting calories or using an app. No, at 42 and 100 pounds overweight I never thought to try those. Think it would help if I exercise too? Yes, we are all on our own journey. I see posts on here all the time that make me wanna roll my eyes. I especially love the worried about loose skin comments when I'm just trying g not to die young. Thank you for giving me permission to feel what I feel though. If anyone else was offended by my post, it was not meant to. Moving on now......

Wow, I can not believe your post mexicosleever. Just because some are borderline BMI does not make it easier for us. I have fought my weight for 20 years.. yes 20 out of 40 years counting calories exercising and dropped 100 pounds. Now after a hysterectomy a gall bladder removal I was borderline BMI. 40.6 that is what our insurance looks at. That does not mean we only have 20 pounds to lose.

With my "borderline BMI" I have 51.5% body fat and when I exercise my knees ache from carrying my extra weight. Some of us may not be as fat as you think we should be for surgery but we still have struggled, won and lost our fights. Calorie app yup 1 1/2 years straight lost 5 pounds.. personal trainers gyms diets etc...

If a BMI of 40 makes someone eligible and they are 39.9 that does not make them thinner..

I've been fatter and my first appt I was required to be at 40. Guess what I ate for 3 days to ensure I met it. WHY??? Because if I pay 500 a month for insurance bet your belly I am going to hope they pay.

So to all the borderline BMIs you only need to hit it the first appointment and then the rest is supervised weight loss so usually your good. And don't listen to the people who judge you for making changes they are yet to understand.

HW 330

CW 230.6

Surgery date 1/19/17-Sleeve

I had a low bmi when I started the process and wished I weighed just a tiny bit more, it probably would have made the whole process easier for me. My bmi was 36 but I had hypertension and mild sleep apnea. I had comments all the time of, "but you're not that fat" and same as you got looked at when I wore a bathing suit by skinny people wondering how in the world I crammed myself into that thing.

It's such a cruel world, I fought for a year to get my insurance to pay, that included paying a company (which worked wonders) to appeal on my behalf. My insurance argued my blood pressure wasn't high enough, I had been on meds just about my whole life for it though. Finally the state agreed and made the insurance reverse the denial.

3 months with my new sleeve later, my bmi is almost normal, no more bp meds, no more sleep apnea and to be honest I know I look better and won't get stares in a bathing suit anymore but I don't care so much about that. I just wanted to be healthy!!!!

Everyone is different, we all have different motivations and it's not fair for someone to get called out for them. We all deserve to be happy and to get there by any means possible

I'm so sorry! I never meant it that way at all. I was on board with you guys for sure. I never meant calling anyone out. I never said you never had struggles at all. Did u read the entire post? I was exactly saying that, everyone's struggles are valid! I was actually just having a convo minutes before, with somebody else who is 460 lbs and they were going off on people with lower Bmi's getting it done (which included myself even). So I was just trying to pull people together in the end. Sorry it offended. Please forgive me! I see what you are saying now and I was wrong for it to come out like that. And I think all this BMI stuff is bull crap too haha. Cuz like seriously, for most people the "healthy range BMI" is not realistic. But hopefully it will now with WLS :) again, sorry for the confusion. I wish you the best of luck and want the best for your insurance to come through!!!!

I won't hatch out the way I read it all, but I will thank you on my side for your post to clear the air. The borderline BMI is actually obese and I think insurances just want to save money.. thank you for your apology post and I as well apologize for mine.

HW 330

CW 230.6

Surgery date 1/19/17-Sleeve

@@mexicosleever88 I did read your entire post and while there was some positivity in there, there was definitely some passive aggressiveness as well. Understand that those of us who DO qualify but may not have a super high BMI may be doing this as a preventive measure before we get to that point to where it's between life or death. Trust, I still have a solid 100 lbs to lose or more, as would most anyone at a BMI of 40 or higher. However I do agree with what someone else said- shunned by the healthy for being obese, shunned by the heavy for not being obese enough or 'not that fat'. It wouldn't be deemed medically necessary without reason.

Bottom line: we ALL need and want to get healthy.

@@tracybshaw , call your insurance and ask if you fall below 40, will this disqualify you. My bariatric center requires all patients to ask our insurance this. My insurance (BCBS Ohio) doesn't care as long as you qualify at initial weigh in.

@everyone else with thoughts similar to Mexciosleever's, I encourage you to research. It is insanely popular for those with a borderline BMI to make the same decision for WLS as you.

Thank you all. And I apologize for any snarkiness on my end. At my current height and weight, my BMI is 40.8. My insurance requires over 40. Im a little over 100 pounds overweight. I have been for about 18 years since gaining a massive amount of weight with my first pregnancy and then after a hysterectomy at 26. I can lose 10 pounds easy. I've done it many times. But it always comes back. I've done WW, Atkins, fitness pal, starvation, meds, you name it. I was taking kickboxing classes so I'm no stranger to fitness. I too actually gained about 7 pounds to solidify this surgery. I'd rather gain 7 to lose 100 than stay 90 pounds overweight the remainder of my life. At 42, my BP is creeping up and Im pre diabetic. It's only a matter of time before it's full blown. We have 2 adopted 5 year olds with medical needs that need there mama to be around awhile. It's very hard not to drop below the 40 BMI because 7 of the pounds are "new" and from eating total crap. I just want to get healthy and stay that way and trust me if I thought I could do it without a "barbaric surgery" I would. This actually took a lot of courage on my part as I have a history of surgeries, one that almost killed me. I swore I'd never have surgery again unless I was dying. Well, if I dont get this weight off I will be.

It's hard to understand the idea that under 40 BMI can mean you don't qualify without a co-morbidity. I have a BMI of 38, but at 6 ft tall I could lose 147 pounds and still be a normal BMI. That sure makes my 38 sound unhealthy to me! "Thankfully" I have high blood pressure. How weird to say that.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Yes, it's hard... some may look down on me and say oh well your BMI is "relatively" low so they think I shouldn't have WLS and should just eat healthier, work out more, etc... but what they fail to understand is that I have spent 25 years overweight... never able to lose enough to have a "healthy" BMI no matter what I do (including multiple diets, workout plans, medications and more). I have sleep apnea, COPD, bulging disks in my back and arthritis in my back, hips and legs... this surgery may be the ONLY way I can ever be healthy or trust me, I wouldn't even attempt it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

I'm in the same boat. Im just slightly under BMI for insurance approval without comorbidities. I'm 4'10", so I carry this extra weight everywhere. My "morbidly obese" weight is not the same as someone who is 5'5" or taller. We are all fighting the same fight. I had my sleep apnea test about a week ago and will get my results this Thursday. I too am depending on that diagnosis to qualify. Good luck to you! [emoji4]