Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi

I have been doing so well that I haven't been back to the forum in quite some time.

I am not far from being 2 years out from my sleeve surgery.

I have noticed that I seem to be able to eat more and of course, that worries me.

I haven't gained any weight back but I know this can be a slippery slope.

For those of you that are 18 months to 3-4 years out -- how much can you eat at a given meal? I am trying to get a sense for what is typical.

It depends on the food. The moisture and fat count for a lot.

4 to 6 ounces of dense Protein. I eat my Protein alone nothing else usually.

3 cups to unlimited salad greens. They are a slider I can have as much as I want.

Most things that are steak or pork chops doof not trigger restriction for me, I'm finding new sliders every week at this point. I know for long term success, just meat is going to be my main food source.

That is odd -- funny how everyone is different because a salad can fill me up. Not a slider for me!

meats cause fullness, which is good.

I just remember at one time, the thought of eating a burger sized portion of beef (just the beef, nothing else) would be crazy. Now I can eat that portion.

I guess I am just worried that now that I am at a point to where I can eat semi-normal portions that I am going to starting going the wrong way.

yea,same here almost 18 mo out and I can now eat a whole subway or safeway 6' sandwich, use to be half of a half,also 2 pieces of chicken instead of 1. but just depends,now if I drink before eatin my meal,its less intake of food, i hvnt gained pounds,but definitely sum inches around my waist

Sent from my SM-N920P using the BariatricPal App

I still don't think I could eat a full burger patty. I mean, I guess it depends on the burger. Like a McDonald's single hamburger? I could probably eat that whole thing. But if I go to Red Robin, or TGIFriday's or something and get a burger, I can still only eat about 2/3 of it. (Patty only of course!)

I was 2 years post-op in September. I can usually eat maybe 5-6 ounces per meal, depending on what I'm eating? Sliders like popcorn and potato chips, it seems like I could just eat an unlimited amount of! So I try to really limit those.

I'm a little more than 2 years out (last November). Total consumption at meal time will vary on the density of the food and the Protein. Typically, I can eat only 1/2 to 2/3 of a pork chop that's about 1/2-3/4 in. thick and a few bites of green Beans. Pot roast - about 3 oz. of meat and a couple bites of cooked carrots. I only eat salads with Protein added, and can only eat no more than a cup of greens with 2-3 oz. of protein. Wendy's chili - about 2/3 of a small with some shredded cheese on top. Cheeseburger w/lettuce and Tomato on a wheat bun from work cafeteria - 1/2. I can eat a whole Quest Protein Bar which fills me up for a long time. I keep them on hand for when I don't have anything else handy. I make a concoction of sausage, black Beans, tomatoes, spices, etc. to freeze and keep on hand at work - 1/2 cup is max. for me. Now that the weather has turned cold, I'm experimenting with hot oatmeal for Breakfast and so far this week a half to 3/4 cup does it for me. One boiled or fried egg fills me up. A Protein shake w/8 oz. skim milk fills me up. My morning coffee fills me up :P (12 oz. travel mug size). Taking my morning meds and supplements with Water over 30 mins. fills me up :D I always aim to eat protein first, but am trying to get some veggies in at lunch and supper. Most of my meals are consumed over a 10-30 minute period, no beverage.

I like how @@MrsSugarbabe included some specific examples of servings people would be familiar with, so I thought I should do the same.

Wendy's Chili: 2/3 of a small w/ cheese

McDonald's chicken Nuggets: 4-5 w/ dipping sauce

Denny's Breakfast: 1 egg over easy, one sausage link, 1/2 a piece of french toast

TGIFridays: 2/3 Jack Daniels chicken Sandwich without the bun or bacon, 4-5 small french fries

Red Robin: about 2/3 of a burger with cheese without the bun, 1-2 onion rings

I definitely don't encourage people to eat out at fast food and chain restaurants all the time. I am just wanting to give some examples of things people might be familiar with so it's easier to conceptualize how much I can eat now.

I eat very quickly. Probably not more than 15 minutes per meal. If I ate slowly, I might be able to eat more.

I've been waiting for this conversation! I'm just over two years past surgery and I can certainly eat more. I've also gained some weight back. It's a constant struggle for me.

Protein definitely fills me up fast. Hard boiled eggs especially. Pasta is almost never a good choice for me. I try to eat as little bread as I can.

Hard liquor is off limits for me. Makes me sloppy. But I do notice an increased wine tolerance. :-(

My wife is a food product developer for a healthy snack company. While that sounds cool, there's always Snacks at home. While they're healthy, if they weren't here I wouldn't eat them.

I still have work to do.