Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have a 10 and 11 year old and I kind of went the opposite way. I told them that I was having some surgery first and then when they asked why I told them it would help me lose weight. I then proceeded to tell them things I was going to be able to do with them (amusement parks, Water parks, etc) once I lost weight. Once they found out that they were excited for me and of course themselves.

I think if you tell them how it can affect them positive ways they will support and encourage you.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

This is what my mother did (I was 11) and we were excited for her!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I had a family meeting with all my children,including one of my 5 kids on Skype in NY and I had them listen to the pre surgery emmi videos and then we spoke openly and honestly [emoji7]

I didn't tell me girls until after I had my surgery. They are prone to anxiety and I didn't want to worry them unnecessarily. They were staying with their dad when I had surgery on a Monday and I got them back on Saturday and I told them then. They were really glad I didn't tell them before hand. I explained I only did it because my health was getting bad. My youngest was really sad I will be losing weight, I've always made sure they know that being fat isn't a bad thing and that I loved my body as it was, etc. So we'll see how it goes.

I'm trying to find a way to tell my mom,stepdad, and sister. My close friends, dad,grandmas and aunt know. My best friend had her surgery last May and they completely knocked the surgery. I'm scared to tell them and afraid they won't support my decision. I have my last appointment next month before scheduling my surgery. Was thinking of telling them once I have my date. Good luck!!!

I tell everyone including my kids, and a few of my friends kids that ask about me shrinking, exactly what was done, where I was prior to my journey and what I do now after the op. I am and always have been an open book. I find it helps me to talk about it, I'm so happy I've had it done I'm completely out of my shell.

My 11 year old son gets very anxious. I was thinking of telling my kids the day before so they won't have too much time to stress. Not sure if that's the best idea though.