Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am about 3 weeks out and am beginning to feel depressed. I've never felt depressed before. Anyone else feel like they are not themselves anymore? Maybe hormones are out of control. I am never hungry and it is a huge burden to make myself eat anything because I am NOT hungry. I hope this passes. It is not easy to fake happiness and playfulness while being a full time work at home mom.

Sent from my SM-N920P using the BariatricPal App

I had a 30 minute crying spell in the hospital the day after surgery. I've been moody as heck since surgery. Some of it was exhaustion, and just changes in my body, but a lot of it is the estrogen that my body was releasing from the fat loss. I asked my doctor about it, and was told it was normal. Maybe call the doctor and see what they recommend.

Me!! I went through what you're describing. I'm 11 weeks post-op. The first 2 or 3 weeks I felt like myself and so excited to start my journey. Then "it" hit me. I felt a little depressed some days. Sad I guess. I also felt alienated I guess is the word that comes to mind. Finally this past weekend all of a sudden it hit me that I was feeling really good. Like my old self again! I realized this as I was preparing my pill boxes for the week. I remember thinking how normal that felt. That's when the sun seemed to come out over me and I felt happy and at peace. You may just need time to adjust to all that is new now. Give it yourself to me.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Omg I'm like that too..

I feel like I'm "fake " happy.. I know something is funny but when I laugh it's not real. I'm 4.5 weeks post op.

I noticed something quite early on but it hasn't gone away. I want to feel ok. It damn it's strange.

I take Zoloft to manage my depression I find I have harder days when I'm in a funk getting a little exercise gives me a boost. Anything to keep you busy keeps your mind from getting in a trend of the downward spiral. No matter if that's just taking a drive, coloring in my adult coloring books, or having a good conversation with someone close to me. Also writing really helps you get to the root of many burdens on the soul. Your alright. Your going through a big change and you can't always have smooth sailing spiritually- just don't break down and live there.

I had a 30 minute crying spell in the hospital the day after surgery. I've been moody as heck since surgery. Some of it was exhaustion, and just changes in my body, but a lot of it is the estrogen that my body was releasing from the fat loss. I asked my doctor about it, and was told it was normal. Maybe call the doctor and see what they recommend.

That's what i suspected. I've also been on an almost 5 week long "time of the month". I just want the hormones to go back to normal. In time i guess. In time

I don't know why the doctors don't warn every patient about this...

Fat stores hormones. When you start dropping fat, the hormones are flushed back into your bloodstream. So you can experience SEVERE mood swings, crying jags, anger, depression and elation. And this can go on for as long as you are actively losing weight... so over a year or two - until your weight stabilizes and your hormone dumps get processed and normal production resumes.

Warn your family/friends that you may have a hair trigger because of this (if you feel like it may be an issue) and be prepared to do some serious self monitoring when you feel angry/irritated/depressed and remind yourself that it is likely hormone related, and give yourself permission to take a time out to deal with the feelings and do some self care if necessary.

Good morning, Ladies remember you had major surgery. Yessss things are going to be different for a minute or two. Then they come back. Now it's always good to use the therapist provided to you to talk through these emotions. Please keep your body hydrated. Eat little something when possible. I was sleeved in September 2016. We through that period after surgery. I ate sugar free popsicle s, Jello, sipped on brother from chicken noodle Soup. Your brain and body need nutrition. I'm 4 months out now. It's still a struggle some days. But I've always struggled with food. That's why we have this surgery. I wish the best in your journey. It will get better...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using the BariatricPal App

I am about 3 weeks out and am beginning to feel depressed. I've never felt depressed before. Anyone else feel like they are not themselves anymore? Maybe hormones are out of control. I am never hungry and it is a huge burden to make myself eat anything because I am NOT hungry. I hope this passes. It is not easy to fake happiness and playfulness while being a full time work at home mom.

I am 3 weeks out as well. I have suffered from anxiety and depression since I was little, but my depression has been significantly worse lately. I'm here if you need someone to talk to, as I could use someone myself.

I burst into tears several times during the first few weeks.. once at a table full of friends and family (humiliating). It's just tough. You're still hungry/full/confused as to which and your body is going through all kinds of changes. At 3 weeks out you're still healing, you're probably not eating real food, and you might still just feel crappy from going through a surgery.

You might be withdrawing from sugar or caffeine as well.

It was nearly 2 months before I felt like myself again. Once you start noticing your body changing it will perk you back up and you will adjust to this new way of eating. Just hold on! Call a therapist in the mean time if you need help!