Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My horrible experience at a restaurant.

Split fees are pretty common in my experience. The profit margins are so narrow for restaurants, they do it to not lose money. Built into the price of a meal is paying the busboy, the dishwasher, the server, etc. So if you split, there is twice the plates and silverware that needs serving, picking up, washing etc.

Even if it's printed on the menu, a thorough waiter will mention the split fee when you're ordering something you're going to share to prevent any surprises.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

No one explained that to us. The assistant manager didn't even apologize for the misunderstanding. He was extremely rude.

If more people just clearly explained the why's behind decisions without being rude and jumping into defense mode, there'd be a lot less arguing in the world!

I wouldn't care about $3. Especially on a check that low.

Split fees are annoying and, I think, will become more common. It was a longstanding practice at a well-known NY restaurant, popular among locals and tourists. The place closed New Year's Eve after about 80 years in business. Sandwich prices ranged $20-$30 with a share charge of $3. You might blink at the price tag, but enough meat for about five normal-sized sandwiches went into each one. (Portions on all menu items were horrifying; no one ever left without a doggy bag.) At least the $3 surcharge yielded two extra slices of bread, tra-la-la.

@@Hiraeth, I'll agree that the manager could have handled matters better -- such as immediately deleting the charge while adding that he'd be able to do so only that time. I hope the incident is out of your system now. Between the time you discussed it with the restaurant people, your mother, on Facebook and Yelp, with your friends, the owner and here in BP, it seems it had a major impact on you. It's amazing that you knew who the owner's friends and mother-in-law were. Better things ahead. Things can only get better.

I wouldn't care about $3. Especially on a check that low.

Ok then. Next time someone is rude to you when there's a misunderstanding, I'm sure you'll sit by and let them treat you that way.

I did not expect special treatment. I just expect to be treated respectfully. I did not cuss or scream at him, yet he was still rude. If he would have said, "I apologize for the misunderstanding. On the menu it says there's a split fee charge. I hope that is ok." But I didn't get anything close to that.

I think this is more the issue.

Wouldn't you complain if you felt like you were charged a fee that didn't belong?

It was stated on the menu, so it belonged. Just sayin'.

Don't leave a bad review just because you don't like a policy. But leaving a bad review because you felt they were rude to you is perfectly acceptable. I think it was handled incorrectly on both sides, IMO.

I leave a scathing Google or yelp review and let it go.

Although I'm level 4 on Google local guides so I don't have to review as much. I have my free storage.

But like I said, I wouldn't have asked about it because it wasn't worth it and I understand the fee.

I complain about things like cold food or places that serve fake butter and fake Creamer.< /p>

Split fees are annoying and, I think, will become more common. It was a longstanding practice at a well-known NY restaurant, popular among locals and tourists. The place closed New Year's Eve after about 80 years in business. Sandwich prices ranged $20-$30 with a share charge of $3. You might blink at the price tag, but enough meat for about five normal-sized sandwiches went into each one. (Portions on all menu items were horrifying; no one ever left without a doggy bag.) At least the $3 surcharge yielded two extra slices of bread, tra-la-la.

@@Hiraeth, I'll agree that the manager could have handled matters better -- such as immediately deleting the charge while adding that he'd be able to do so only that time. I hope the incident is out of your system now. Between the time you discussed it with the restaurant people, your mother, on Facebook and Yelp, with your friends, the owner and here in BP, it seems it had a major impact on you. It's amazing that you knew who the owner's friends and mother-in-law were. Better things ahead. Things can only get better.

I would have been ok with that charge if he had politely explained it to me, and told me it was on the menu. He didn't. I found out that it's on the menu through Yelp.

Also, I found out they were her friends because, as I was logically making my point, they responded nasty and insulted me. I then figured the manager recruited them to defend her. Sure enough, I was right, because they are on her friends list. The rudest lady even admitted that she's her mother-in-law. I didn't have to look for that info.

@@OutsideMatchInside you're right, it is. I didn't even think about that, just the smaller portion size ha

@@OutsideMatchInside you're right, it is. I didn't even think about that, just the smaller portion size ha

Most of the stuff on kids menus we can't even eat.

If I went to an expensive buffet like the $120 variety on Christmas I might try to use my card, especially since I don't drink.

However, sitting there I am taking up a seat that someone who is paying full price could be sitting in. So I would just pay full price. Business is business. So I don't go to expensive holiday buffets anymore.

Do you have the Bariatric Patient card? If not, you should get one and keep it with you whenever you dine out. I've never been told I can't order from the kids menu or pay the kids price at a buffet.

Is this a real thing and where did you get one? Seems like a great idea!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Not true. I am not acting out of character. I complained because, to me, I felt that they were charging us for splitting it. They did not make an effort to tell us politely. Wouldn't you complain if you felt like you were charged a fee that didn't belong?

Now I'll say it because you're doing yourself a sad disservice.

When an unexpected charge appears on a bill, the usual thing is to ask about it; it doesn't have to be a complaint from the outset. Such matters usually are solved quickly and easily. True, you were given some bad attitude and your being annoyed is reasonable. The other side, though, is how much time you've invested in what in the scheme of life and the universe, is minor.

You didn't feel that you were being charged for sharing. You were in fact being charged according to the restaurant's policy. Lots of people miss the notice on the menu because the notice often is small and out of the way.

Here's my point: Is this battle worth hours, days and ulcers?

Not to me. I'm out.

I leave a scathing Google or yelp review and let it go.

Although I'm level 4 on Google local guides so I don't have to review as much. I have my free storage.

But like I said, I wouldn't have asked about it because it wasn't worth it and I understand the fee.

I complain about things like cold food or places that serve fake butter and fake creamer.

I did leave a review.

When I complained to the manager, it was not a rude complaint. It was just a misunderstanding that could have been resolved. I honestly would not have cared about the charge, had they politely explained that there was a notification on the menu. But instead, he was very rude, which prompted my review. Had he been polite, I would have apologized for the misunderstanding, as well. But he was not at all polite. Since I am not familiar with split fee charges, I assumed that they were charging us just for splitting it for us. Since I've been to much nicer restaurants, and have never been charged a split fee, I did not know that some restaurants do this. As you can see, many people on here did not know restaurants charged one either. So why is it so hard to politely tell a customer that there's a notification on the menu? He did not handle the situation like a professional. That is why I left a review. When I emailed the GM about it, she left a rude reply, as well, and even claimed that I was abusing her employees, which is completely untrue. That is why I'm mad now. I would have let it go if she would have replied politely. But she did not.

Not true. I am not acting out of character. I complained because, to me, I felt that they were charging us for splitting it. They did not make an effort to tell us politely. Wouldn't you complain if you felt like you were charged a fee that didn't belong?

Now I'll say it because you're doing yourself a sad disservice.

When an unexpected charge appears on a bill, the usual thing is to ask about it; it doesn't have to be a complaint from the outset. Such matters usually are solved quickly and easily. True, you were given some bad attitude and your being annoyed is reasonable. The other side, though, is how much time you've invested in what in the scheme of life and the universe, is minor.

You didn't feel that you were being charged for sharing. You were in fact being charged according to the restaurant's policy. Lots of people miss the notice on the menu because the notice often is small and out of the way.

Here's my point: Is this battle worth hours, days and ulcers?

Not to me. I'm out.

At first, it was not a complaint. It was a question. The assistant manager said, "Y'all have a complaint?" I said, "Well, it's not necessarily a complaint. I just don't understand why there's a split fee charge." He then said it's because they gave us more food. I did not notice more food, because they halved the bun and the burger, and gave us a handful of fries. See what I'm saying? It was like they assumed that I asked for more food and for them to split it for us, when I did not. I didn't even eat the fries. Not once did he explain that it's store policy and listed in the menu.

It was not a big deal until he acted so rudely. I did not make this a big deal until after I was treated that way by him, and his manager.

I did not expect special treatment. I just expect to be treated respectfully. I did not cuss or scream at him, yet he was still rude. If he would have said, "I apologize for the misunderstanding. On the menu it says there's a split fee charge. I hope that is ok." But I didn't get anything close to that.

I think this is more the issue.

>> Wouldn't you complain if you felt like you were charged a fee that didn't belong?

It was stated on the menu, so it belonged. Just sayin'.

Don't leave a bad review just because you don't like a policy. But leaving a bad review because you felt they were rude to you is perfectly acceptable. I think it was handled incorrectly on both sides, IMO.

I did not leave a bad review because of the charge. I simply discussed the charge because that is what lead up to the rude actions of the assistant manager and general manager. Regardless, customers are supposed to be treated with respect. I was not rude to him when I asked about the charge. He was rude to me. I never would have left a bad review if the manager had been polite. I would have even apologized for misunderstanding. But since I was not treated politely, I left a bad review.

A lot of you think that I am upset purely because of the charge. That is not true. I was confused about it at first. Then when the assistant manager acted so rude about it, I became frustrated because I didn't understand why they wouldn't be polite. How hard is it to politely tell someone about a business policy? If you were confused about something, wouldn't you want it sorted out? That's what I tried doing. I wanted to understand why I was being charged when I never asked for the split or extra food. He could have politely explained that to me. But he didn't.

Edited by Hiraeth

Having had my own business for 20 years, I can tell you that the restaurant manager handled this incorrectly. A good owner/manager diffuses a situation. They do not ramp it up.

Yes...I had customers who were looking for a fight and I couldn't do a thing about it. But my late husband was a pro at handling unhappy customers and 90% of the time, the end result was a resolution that satisfied both parties...and often led to a return customer...which obviously this restaurant is not so interested in.

Your satisfaction might be when you pass by one day and they are out of business... :lol: