Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Confession: I drink soda. Anyone else?

So I made it 8 weeks on the "no soda" rule. I was an absolute addict before surgery and now whenever my husband has a soda I have a few sips. I've learned that any more than a few sips is uncomfortable so I limit myself to that. Dr Pepper was my love in life before and I haven't and don't plan to even have a tiny sip of that because that's a door I don't want to open!

So far I've had no problems and from what I've read the whole "stretching your sleeve" thing isn't really an issue. I know that a lot of people can't drink it any more after surgery due to discomfort, but am I alone here? Not just vets but also those of us who are still losing?

Thanks!

Why is this a "confession"? Seems to me it's simply a choice you are making, good or not so good, depending on your surgeon's plan.

I am just over 3.5 years out and I drink Coke Zero. I didn't do so until I had permission at 6 months post op and I was only given permission because I was 100% compliant on all my other dietary restrictions.

What does your doctor say?

I haven't tried diet coke yet because I am sure I will begin having it for Breakfast again. I am doing fine without it. I have taken several trips and there isn't much to choose from on the plane that isn't soda, juice or liquor. That is when I want one.

Nope..not me..I was a complete Coke Zero addict and feel like it hindered weight loss for me in the past. I will not be addicted again especially since I'm only 6 weeks out..a couple of sips isn't worth possible hurting myself and craving it all over again.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm grateful that I was never that into soda. Although they made a vanilla Pepsi with "real" sugar that is pretty heavenly...

Starbucks iced white mochas, on the other hand, may become an issue for me, lol!

I take sips when my stomach is upset and I need to burp. Sometimes because I want to. I don't think I could handle a full serving nor do I want to at the moment.

In my opinion

If you treat food/ drinks as forbidden or naughty then you could set yourself for set backs or binges .

I'm not sure what your issues are with your path to becoming obese. I don't know where you are now in establishing a better relationship with food.< /p>

We have to learn how to make better choices and learn to accept the times when we screw up and get back to healthy eating.

I'm not perfect by any means but I am trying to be on program as possible. It is very easy for us to know and say what needs to be done but living it is different.

Good luck and much love to you! You can do this!

Why is this a "confession"? Seems to me it's simply a choice you are making, good or not so good, depending on your surgeon's plan.

I am just over 3.5 years out and I drink Coke Zero. I didn't do so until I had permission at 6 months post op and I was only given permission because I was 100% compliant on all my other dietary restrictions.

It was just sort of a silly title for the post.

The first time I drank it was only 1 sip and that night I looked over my plan and it doesn't mention it one way or another past 8 weeks. I will mention it to him at my next check up but it doesn't seem to be hurting anything and like I said it's only a few sips.

Why did your doc make you wait til 6 months?

I take sips when my stomach is upset and I need to burp. Sometimes because I want to. I don't think I could handle a full serving nor do I want to at the moment.

In my opinion

If you treat food/ drinks as forbidden or naughty then you could set yourself for set backs or binges .

I'm not sure what your issues are with your path to becoming obese. I don't know where you are now in establishing a better relationship with food.

We have to learn how to make better choices and learn to accept the times when we screw up and get back to healthy eating.

I'm not perfect by any means but I am trying to be on program as possible. It is very easy for us to know and say what needs to be done but living it is different.

Good luck and much love to you! You can do this!

Thanks so much for the comments! I have been pretty solidly on plan since surgery except for a few days when my Water or Protein goals just weren't going to happen.

My relationship with food has changed. Although there are still things I enjoy eating and have to limit it's mostly just about meeting my goals so I don't feel crappy, I have overeaten twice since surgery (both times were still a fraction compared to what I used to eat) and paid the price. After that I just don't have much desire to overeat and the types of foods I'm eating aren't things that tempt me to stuff myself, lol.

Like I said there are still things I crave and enjoy and I occasionally give in but make sure that it's just a tiny portion, same as the soda. I also could not come close to drinking a full serving or even half. My weight has gone down steadily although slower than others (my starting BMI was somewhat low) and I am learning to look at food as a tool to be healthy instead of a cure for boredom or depression. It's a learning curve for all of us and I have for sure made mistakes a few times but like you said, we just have to get back on track. Thanks!

It was just sort of a silly title for the post.

The first time I drank it was only 1 sip and that night I looked over my plan and it doesn't mention it one way or another past 8 weeks. I will mention it to him at my next check up but it doesn't seem to be hurting anything and like I said it's only a few sips.

Why did your doc make you wait til 6 months?

His plan actually called for a year. He gave me an exception because I was losing steadily and compliant everywhere else.

Zero calorie Red bull, flat. Is that Soda? :)

Edited by Middus

I was a Diet Coke fiend and gave it up 6 months prior to surgery. I honestly don't miss it... and when I stopped, my sweet tooth went away.

Now it is so unappealing, there's no chance of me taking it up again.

"When all is said and done, usually more has been said than done. "

I was a Diet Coke fiend and gave it up 6 months prior to surgery. I honestly don't miss it... and when I stopped, my sweet tooth went away.

Now it is so unappealing, there's no chance of me taking it up again.

"When all is said and done, usually more has been said than done. "

My downfall was Diet Pepsi! After my first consultation with my surgeon I decided to cut out all caffeine, so there went my addiction to Diet Pepsi, coffee, etc... I figured it would be easier to get through the caffeine withdrawals before the surgery. One less thing to worry about during recovery.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App