Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My body continues to betray me....

Sorry, just need to vent a little. I'm generally a pretty positive guy,but my body seems determined to work against me.

As background, I am 9+ months post-op and have lost 185lbs and currently weigh a little under 150.

One of the many reasons I was motivated to do this was that my joints are a mess. I need both knees and one of my hips replaced. I knew there was a possibility of delaying some/all of the surgeries if I lost weight. And even if I couldn't delay them, the surgery itself as well as the recovery would be much easier at a healthy weight.

Well, my knees actually feel quite a bit better, but I am having the hip replaced on the 23rd of this month.

I've been going to the gym since mid-last summer, but primarily focusing on weight lifting with my upper body given the joint issues (I did complete the C25K program, just to get good conditioning and prove to myself I could do it, even with joint issues).

Ok, to get to my point, a months or so ago I started having some pain in my shoulders (along with a ton of crunching and grinding which had been there since I started lifting). I thought it best to take a little time off to avoid an injury.

Well, about 2 weeks ago I was cleaning out cupboards and when I reached up to get something something from the top shelf there was an awful debilitating pain that shot through my right shoulder. It has happened several times since when I forget and use that shoulder to reach for something. I am also experiencing similar, but less acute pin in my left shoulder.

I went to my PCP and then to my orthopedic and they think I may have torn my rotator cuff (waiting to get in for an MRI). Meanwhile the pain continues to get worse and that pain is now causing me to have beck pain and SEVERE headaches that are interfering with day to day life and my ability to get a reasonable amount of sleep.

It's so frustrating that at 43 years old my body feels like it's falling apart. Knees, hips, shoulders. Chronic pain sucks and I am feeling like there is no end to "fixing" me at this point.

Just feeling a little sorry for myself. I know I'll shake it off and things will get better, but I could sure use a little break right about now.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Imagine where you would be in three years and 150 lbs heavier. My wife has been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and I see her in pain a lot. I'm sorry for what you are going through. Some people draw the short straw, and it sucks. You're doing what you can to make it as less painful as possible.

So sorry you are dealing with this. I had 4 shoulder surgeries by age 43 so I quite literally feel your pain. Think of it this way - at least your shoulder injury is not weight related. And you have been doing so great with a workout that PT after a rotator cuff surgery should be easier for you and you will recover faster than most. It's not a fun rehab to go through but it's doable. I hate that you have to go thru it especially given the hip replacement. It's OK to feel how you do right now. Completely understandable. I hope they get it all figured out quick!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using the BariatricPal App

I swear that the warranty runs out at 40!! I know what you mean, though. It seems like every time I turn around my body is throwing another wrench in the mechanism. I just know it's easier to deal with chronic stuff with less weight to carry around.

Good luck with your surgeries!!

@msujester...yes, you typically are a very positive person (from your postings on here), so yes, given what you're going through and how far you've been, you are certainly entitled to a vent! Sorry you're dealing with that and I hope you are feeling better soon so hang in there (not literally though....don't want any more injuries!) Take care.

Sent from my SM-G928V using the BariatricPal App

I'm sorry! I think some feeling sorry for yourself is in order. After you finish though, think about how much more fixable all these things are now that you are lighter. Surgery is infinitely safer, your recovery will be so much faster, and you will get mobility back you haven't felt in years. It's a bummer of a setback for sure and not fair after all your hard work!

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Ouch, while I haven't had issues with my rotator-cuff I've watched my mother deal with it, and the several surgeries she had to repair the problems. One thing she does is sleeps with a small neck pillow (like the travel ones...C shaped, that people use on planes and whatnot) under the arm to prop it away from her body a bit. This helps alleviate the neck pain and headaches she would get otherwise. I have no idea if that will help you but perhaps so....I hope you get some relief soon!

Thanks for the sympathy and well wishes everyone. My crushing headache I've had for the last 2 days has subsided somewhat, so I'm already in a better place!

I like the "warranty runs out at 40". My knee warranty was much shorter (had my first ACL reconstruction at 15, second one at 20 and needed knee replacements by my 30s), but you're right! My hip and should issues all started after 40 and I'm only 43!!! LOL.

As one of my friends said recently "well, the good news is you don't have many more joints to go bad!" There's the silver lining I suppose!

Ouch, while I haven't had issues with my rotator-cuff I've watched my mother deal with it, and the several surgeries she had to repair the problems. One thing she does is sleeps with a small neck pillow (like the travel ones...C shaped, that people use on planes and whatnot) under the arm to prop it away from her body a bit. This helps alleviate the neck pain and headaches she would get otherwise. I have no idea if that will help you but perhaps so....I hope you get some relief soon!

I'll have to explore this option. sleeping is what seems to aggravate my headaches the most. Been struggling to get a comfortable position with my head/neck in bed. Thanks!

Thanks for the sympathy and well wishes everyone. My crushing headache I've had for the last 2 days has subsided somewhat, so I'm already in a better place!

I like the "warranty runs out at 40". My knee warranty was much shorter (had my first ACL reconstruction at 15, second one at 20 and needed knee replacements by my 30s), but you're right! My hip and should issues all started after 40 and I'm only 43!!! LOL.

As one of my friends said recently "well, the good news is you don't have many more joints to go bad!" There's the silver lining I suppose!

Louis C.K. has a funny bit about his ankle at age 40, it's worth a listen if you want a bit of a chuckle....but he's got a foul mouth (for some) so keep that in mind if you decide to watch it with open speakers

a quick google of "louis c.k. you're just broken now" should bring it up

Ask your PCP about cortisone shots in the shoulders. It helps for some people.

Congratulations on your weight loss -- I think your body loves you. I have had congestive heart failure, two 6 hour heart procedures in 2016, rotator cuff repaired from accident, need knee replaced asap, other foot needs injections down in bone so I can walk. I do not stay in pity party mode, I am thankful every day .... things happen but the Lord will not put on you more than you can handle -- you can do it - you must be strong look at your weight loss.....

I'm just a little older than you but...let me tell you I have Fibromyalgia, arthritis Osteo, and Rheumatoid. I know pain believe me. But I never had problems with my knee's until I had lost 124#'s. Now I have had Cortisone shots ultra- sound guided Gel shots in both knees. When I ask my Dr why it happened after my weight loss this is exactly what he told me. If you hadn't lost your weight you would be in a wheelchair now!! So look at it as maybe a blessing to have sh** happening now instead of before! RIGHT Good Luck

I'm just a little older than you but...let me tell you I have Fibromyalgia, arthritis Osteo, and Rheumatoid. I know pain believe me. But I never had problems with my knee's until I had lost 124#'s. Now I have had Cortisone shots ultra- sound guided Gel shots in both knees. When I ask my Dr why it happened after my weight loss this is exactly what he told me. If you hadn't lost your weight you would be in a wheelchair now!! So look at it as maybe a blessing to have sh** happening now instead of before! RIGHT Good Luck

This was one of my main motivations for surgery. My orthopedic surgeon very kindly say me down and told me that if I didn't lose weight I would be disabled. And it wouldnt be a matter of decades, but a matter of a few years before I was wheelchair bound. That, and knowing there were many more unseen, life threatening side effects to being morbidly obese pushed me to get a referral to a Bariatric surgeon.