Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercise after surgery. ALSO puree foods not filling me up

My surgeon tells everyone to walk 5-10 minutes a few times a day but today I'm itching to go on a really long walk, about two miles. I was sleeved 12/19 and I wanted to see if others think this is safe? My mom and grandma keep pushing me to go but I told them I don't think I'm supposed to yet... anyone have any info on this?

ALSO I'm in the puree food stage and I get out of it on 1/6 when I see my surgeon. I do not feel full whatsoever after I eat my 1/4 cup of puree food 3x/day. Will this change when I'm onto soft foods? I really hope so!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Are you staying fully hydrated? And are you still drinking Protein shakes in addition to the 3/4 cup of food a day? I wouldn't think you could get enough Protein and macronutrients in with just 3/4 cup of food total a day, much less stay satiated. Most plans in the puree stage are intending the pureed food to supplement the Protein Shakes.

If you're getting plenty of protein in - not sure what goals your doc set, most want 60g+ a day minimum, and you're getting PLENTY of fluids in, then you should be OK to walk whatever you feel up to. I would suggest working up to it so you don't overestimate your endurance, and make sure you take fluids with you.

@@theantichick in my plan we aren't allowed to have Protein shakes... probably why we only do two weeks of puree instead of 4 like other plans! I'm drinking Water like a champ though. Lol

I got nothin' then. I don't get how plans that have you eating so little can get you enough macronutrients, especially Protein. I'd check with your team.

I agree with @@theantichick, double check with your surgical team about the Protein shakes and let them know about the hunger. Since you are on pureed food, maybe start using a soft Protein like fish pureed with mayo or moistened chicken pureed with broth or mayo. If you aren't allowed to supplement with protein shakes, I am not sure what else you can do. Check to make sure that they might allow unflavored Protein powder in Greek yogurt, ect....good luck.

Especially being limited to only 3 meals a day with no Protein shakes or Snacks between, and only 1/4 cup food at each. That doesn't seem enough macronutrients to me.

Everyone recovers differently, so I day if you feel good, give the walk a try, maybe shoot for a 30 min walk vs a distance and see how you feel. Congrats on making the changes to help get you healthy!

Sent from my SM-N900T using the BariatricPal App

If no shakes I suggest Isopure Protein Water as you will need more calories to sustain long walks safely. I was also sleeves 12/19 and don't officially start purée stage until Monday so for me now it's Protein Shakes, Isopure, cream of wheat which I flavor with vanilla Protein Powder and milk with cinnamon, yogurt, Decaf tea, blended split pea Soup, hummus, and I did try blended egg whites with turkey and the texture was gross. I have not been able to take any broth for a few days now as so sick of it. Monday I can add more blended or purred foods. Still hard hitting 60 grams of Protein per day as I usually hit 45-50. Also getting to 64 ounces of fluids is tough too. My weight loss has been low so trying to get more in day by day. I also see doc on 1/6 so hopefully that goes well.

Are you allowed to mix in Protein powder like GENEPRO or does your surgeon want you to get in all the protein through foods alone?

Yikes, I can't imagine not having Protein supplements.< /p>

I was walking a 1/2 three times a day in the hospital. Consider that your surgeons printed instructions are given to people when are starting out a significantly higher weights Han you were who are challenged by standing for 15 mins.

You (and/or your insurance) paid a boat load of money for your surgery. That $$$ includes follow up care. If you're hungry call the office for help. If you want to increase your activity ask them what YOUR individual limitations are.

@@theantichick in my plan we aren't allowed to have Protein shakes... probably why we only do two weeks of puree instead of 4 like other plans! I'm drinking Water like a champ though. LolSent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

This just doesn't seem right. 6 oz puree a day comes to 60 grams of protein at the most. Are you taking supplements? Where did you have your surgery? Is there a nutritionist in house?

I was given no restrictions on activity. Have been walking one mile a day on my treadmill since the day after discharge. Getting all my Protein in purees, plus liquid Calcium w/D, B12 sublingual and biotene. I struggle the most with Water, so I start drinking when my feet hit the floor and set timers on my phone so I remember to STOP drinking then start again so I can follow the 30/30 rule. But we're all different. Check with your doctor or dietician if you have questions. We can all tell you what WE do, but you doctor knows you and your circumstances better.

Hello KC13,

I was sleeved 12/19 too. I went to see my doctor this past Monday and they told me I can do about an hour if I feel up to it. My first day was 35 minutes, but I felt like I could do more. I'm now doing 30 minutes of cardio and 30 light weights. Modified yoga and cycle and elliptical Machine. I think you are good to go. No RUNNING or heavy weights though