Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What can I expect when I wake up? I have my surgery on 12/27

Merry Christmas everyone.

I have surgery in 2 days. I started my liquid fast today. I will do my clean out tomorrow. Any advice to make that process easier or is it as awful as I hear :)? I am excited but nervous for surgery.

I am doing this surgery without any support. Nobody agrees with it so they are all just not helping me. I will get dropped off and picked up at the curb. I knew that going into this but it is starting to bother me a bit. Oh well.

I was just wondering what I can expect when I wake up? How is the pain? I don't have a very high pain threshold so I am a little nervous....especially when I come home to my four kids and won't be able to take the pain meds.

Also wondering how the Constipation is. Did they give you anything to help? I heard it can get bad on pain meds. Thanks for reading and any feed back you can get.

I would love to meet some people and maybe start our own support group.

Thanks so much. Happy holidays.

I had bypass on Nov.22.The pain wasn't too bad and the pain meds controlled it.I was able to go to the bathroom with help at first.By the next day walking by myself .Walking is important because the gas pains will go away quicker.This is pain in your shoulders and back.Once I got home I did take stool softners first,then had to add miralax.I didn't need pain meds once I was home.I took off and on for a few days.After the first week I could add soft foods(Cottage cheese, Yogurt) Didn't have too many problems.

Has a lot to do with Protein intake and Fluid intake.It is slow at begining.Take small sipps all day.

I had bypass on 12/21 so I am just a few days post op. The pain wasn't as bad as I expected. The pain meds really helped a lot! I was so tired but had trouble sleeping in the hospital. Walking really is as key as everyone keeps telling you. So walk as much as humanly possible. I had trouble peeing at first but I finally got it done on day 2 post op. Pooping became an issue after I got home. I definitely recommend a stool softener and adding Miralax as you can.

You can do it! It's tough for a few days but nothing you can't handle!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Pain can vary a lot between people, but from what I've read and heard (and I've been at this for c. 3 years), most people don't experience much and are very (pleasantly) surprised by that. I had almost no pain at all. I used my pump while I was in the hospital because my abs were pretty sore and I had to get up to use the bathroom or walk, but if I was just lying there, I really felt no pain at all. They sent me home with some kind of pain medicine, but it sat unopened.

Constipation is another story. A *lot* of us struggle with it. Not just after surgery, but long, long after. They didn't give me anything for it - I just took stuff on my own. They recommended a stool softener (like Colace) after the surgery. And then once I "went" a few days later, they recommended Benefiber every day (you have to wait until you "go", though, else the Benefiber will just clog you up even more). Just figure out what works for your constipation (now and later) and keep on top of it. It's awful getting really backed up.

You can expect to wake up alone in a hospital room with no power. You will then find out that the world has been taken over by walkers. No wait. That is the Walking Dead. For me there was no pain, I was just soaked because the IV had come out of my hand and leaked all over the bed. It was hard to stand up the first time but the nurse was right there helping me the whole time.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I had mini gastric bypass surgery on December 12th. I had some pain but it mostly felt like stomach soreness, with more soreness out of my far left incision, which turned out to be where my drain was. I was up and walking about two to three hours after my surgery. I only had gas in my abdominal area. And every time I walked it got better. The first time I got up I had two nurses standing on either side to help me. It was a little weird at first but you get used to it. The gas pains were worse than the stomach pains. The IV pain fluids I was receiving didn't really help a lot with that. But the walking did. I did take Gas-X strips, one every four hours or so, and that helped a little. Every day the pain got better, as well as the gas.

hi peteandsummer123! i am so sorry u have no support. i dont think id be able to do this journey without my support. I can only tell u what i experienced-it may not be the same for u...when i woke up from surgery mon i was in recovery. all i did was sleep the first night. the hospital gives u medicine for the pain. the pain med they send u home with is diff than in the hospital but the pain should be getting better after a few days. i haven had any Constipation at all so i cant advise u on that. just being woken up every hr it seemed like in the hospital is frustrating-vitals,meds,bloodclotinjection, walk walk walk & sip sip sip. i am not sure what ur home diet will look like but im on 2 wks post op liquid. it is hard as well. i felt so dehydrated last night it was bad so just try ur best to sip. u can do this. im here for u!! ❤️

Sent from my iPhone

My pain was almost none. I took the narcotics in the hospital but by the time I got home 2 days later I only had liquid OTC Tylenol for pain and I only took it a few times. You'll be OK!

I had Bypass on 12/13 and have had very little pain. Some slight discomfort when getting in/out of bed or up/down from a chair, but soreness is to be expected.

I took the pain meds they gave me in the hospital with no issues, but when I got home I took only Tylenol because I was scared of the side effects. I am still surprised as how smooth things have been for me

Walk as much as possible...helps in more ways than I can even say.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm happy so many had an easy time with their pain. I didn't.

When I woke up in recovery and felt the gas pain under my ribs I had instant regret. The gas pain was really bad and it moved as I turned. I was speaking the wrong language to the staff and was totally messed up in my head.

I got relief when I got up to go to the bathroom, still in recovery, the gas settled more in my shoulders and didn't bounce around anymore. The pain meds I got didn't help with my gas pain, so I didn't take them after a while. My insicions never hurt.

I had and still have a hard time with drinking liquids 5 weeks out. Warm liquids go down easier and cold ones are a no-no.

I was in the hospital last week for dehydration and other small complications. I'm losing weight slower than before surgery. On the fence if I did make the right desicion. For now my problems have outweighed the benefits, but I hope it will all turn around for me soon.

I didn't write this to scare you, but please be prepared for complications and pain. If you don't have any problems, then it's a bonus.

Good luck to you!

Nilla

Wow. I am jealous of so many of you and your pain experience. I just posted a blog of how terrible mine was. Unbearable!

As far as pooping, I pooped straight up liquid yesterday. Anyone else do that? Without solids I don't know what poop should be like. I think I'll take something cause I do not want to get constipated!

I'm happy so many had an easy time with their pain. I didn't.

When I woke up in recovery and felt the gas pain under my ribs I had instant regret. The gas pain was really bad and it moved as I turned. I was speaking the wrong language to the staff and was totally messed up in my head.

I got relief when I got up to go to the bathroom, still in recovery, the gas settled more in my shoulders and didn't bounce around anymore. The pain meds I got didn't help with my gas pain, so I didn't take them after a while. My insicions never hurt.

I had and still have a hard time with drinking liquids 5 weeks out. Warm liquids go down easier and cold ones are a no-no.

I was in the hospital last week for dehydration and other small complications. I'm losing weight slower than before surgery. On the fence if I did make the right desicion. For now my problems have outweighed the benefits, but I hope it will all turn around for me soon.

I didn't write this to scare you, but please be prepared for complications and pain. If you don't have any problems, then it's a bonus.

Good luck to you!

Nilla

I just want to mention that I had a stricture that was taken care of on Friday, finally going home from the hospital in an hour. I can now eat and drink like a normal wls patient! It feels surreal, no more regret!

Nilla

You can expect to wake up alone in a hospital room with no power. You will then find out that the world has been taken over by walkers. No wait. That is the Walking Dead. For me there was no pain, I was just soaked because the IV had come out of my hand and leaked all over the bed. It was hard to stand up the first time but the nurse was right there helping me the whole time.

Your post gave me a laugh!